Please tell me more about this doll?

mlp4me

Post by mlp4me »

I got both dolls a few years ago at the thrift shop (not at the same time). The one on the left is quite different from the other one. (I have searched the net trying to find her, but maybe I'm not looking under the right keywords...)
Both have the same stamp on the back of their heads, \"1983 Hallmark cards inc made in china\". The one on the left has a white tag that clearly states SAMPLE on it. The one on the right has the re-issue orange tag. Any ideas??
left dress made in hong kong, right made in china
Don't be fooled by the giraffe...

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

How interesting!! I don't believe I've seen this variation before. I wonder if the Hong Kong company that made it was bidding for the contract, but the company in China won out?
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Clinozoisite

Post by Clinozoisite »

A pre-production sample. Cool. :lol:

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

Where's Sarah???

She'll want to know about it even if it's not Mattel.

It's nice to see another RB version.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Clinozoisite wrote:A pre-production sample. Cool. :lol:
Oh that's what they're called :) I personally like the Hong Kong version much better (except for the McDonald's colored sleeves)...wish they'd gone with it instead! Very cool find :bounce: I wonder how many of these were made.
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

The Hong Kong version may have only been intended for the Hot Topic 25th Anniversary doll and not the entire Gen 3 line. Also, I've got that doll boxed and it doesn't have a barcode or manufacturer's name or catalog number printed on the box. It may not have been made by Toy Play.There was a small sticker with a bar code on it, but that's not the same as having it printed on at the factory. I'll look to see what's on the tag when I get home.

The China doll (I know, I know) looks a little different to the other Toy Play Gen 3 dolls, especially the red star in her hair. I don't remember seeing that before but my exposure to Gen 3 is limited.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Clinozoisite

Post by Clinozoisite »

Rainbow Brite wrote:
Clinozoisite wrote:A pre-production sample. Cool. :lol:
Oh that's what they're called :) I personally like the Hong Kong version much better
Back when my father was still in marketing, he would sometimes bring home sample items. He always told me that they weren't prototypes (which were used for sales pitches), but rather, a series of tests that the company ran to check the accuracy of their machines before full production began. I'm surprised to see a Sample tag on a doll from a company that *wasn't* chosen. But perhaps we'd better wait for our resident prototype collector to weigh in on this issue. :)

I agree with you -- the Hong Kong version is much nicer looking. :lol:

stormberryfairy

Post by stormberryfairy »

Wow you got a prototype! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

mlp4me

Post by mlp4me »

Something like this shows up in WI? At a thrift shop? I'm absolutely baffled! Beyond baffled if she is prototype! (I will wait for a full-on celebratory dance after the experts take a look at her.) If additional pics are needed LMK and I'll take some. Oh, yeah I bow to you guys and your expertise. :bg:
Don't be fooled by the giraffe...

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

I doubt it's a prototype. From what I remember of Sarah's description of prototypes, they typically don't have tags, are hand-sewn and are usually kept by the creators...then again, perhaps it's done differently these days. Hopefully she'll chime in soon :) But even if that's the case, I'd say samples are almost as rare as prototypes...so still a very cool find!
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net