Rainbow Brite lurky prototype

Tom-sprite

Post by Tom-sprite »

@BabyDoll :

Wow ... that was very interesting to read ! :-)
Thanks for letting us know.

When I looked at your great custom-dollies the first time I guessed that you work for the toy-industry. :)

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

That's quite interesting, Baby Doll. Thanks for posting that info.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Rainbowbrite84

Post by Rainbowbrite84 »

Those were really interesting stories :) Thats crazy how much prototypes are valued!!

stormberryfairy

Post by stormberryfairy »

Congrats on your Lurky and sailboat Sarah!! So where's the other castle that you said was made? I would so love to have that.

This whole thread is so interesting. I love it!

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

Oh Babydoll! I totally didn't see your last post on this one- Thanks for the prototype info! That is totally fascinating ! I totally understand why companies guard new prototypes (industrial espionage and what-not) I think in recent years it has become more strict (have you been to Toyfair in recent years? Total lock-down unless you have an appointment and real credentials- you used to be able to get in just by getting a toy-industry person to get you a pass)

I don't think really old stuff is so valued however- I have a friend who used to live near the old Kenner factory- when it closed the company tossed everything into the trash- some designers freaked out and sneaked some stuff home- but after-hours, there were hundreds of cells/protoypes/molds/ect. spilling out of the dumpsters behind the place - My friend and her aunt I think fished around with a buch of other collectors (they were mostly looking for star wars stuff- she was looking for SSC) until security arrived to guard the dumpster from pillaging. It kills me to think of the treasures that got thrown away...

Some companies also let the designers keep the toys they worked on (I know my aunt and uncle have the first run copies of everything)

I don't really know specifically about the guy who sold my stuff to me- I saw his return address on the box had a ebay page, and so I sent a message just thanking him- his wife sent me a really nice message back- but I wish I could pick his brain about the series- I am so curious- Also- I could reassure him as an attorney that Mattel can't touch him any longer- I'm sure the statute of limitations has totally run on any potential IP violation

BabyDoll

Post by BabyDoll »

It varies from company to company and from line to line. When I was working at a sculpting studio, we did work for dozens of companies and many lines of product all at once. My boss, as a going away present when my internship ended, gave me one of the molded prototypes of a Care Bear chalkholder. But one of the other licenses we worked on was extremely hush-hush and I was not even allowed to photograph it. With licensed materials, it all depends on the agreement drawn up between licensor and the studio.

The dumpster thing surprises me slightly, because often after the fact, molds and such are DESTROYED rather than risk them getting into the hands of people like that.

These days many of the so-called "prototypes" of action figure lines you run into on eBay or other places are actually BOOTLEGS produced by the Chinese factories by unscrupulous workers after hours to make some extra money...

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

I wish some chinese factories would make us some Stormy Bootlegs... ;)

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

Maybe you, Jasmine and Mona could start your own factory... :bg: :bg: :bg:
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

These days many of the so-called "prototypes" of action figure lines you run into on eBay or other places are actually BOOTLEGS produced by the Chinese factories by unscrupulous workers after hours to make some extra money...
I have never run into problems, but for sure I would think twice before buying from anyone other than a very reputable dealer, or the designer himself/herself. I think it is harder to tell with cast stuff, unless it is a figure or something that has never been produced (thinking of some Strawberry Shortcake figures now).

It is too bad but one the dealers I used to go through for Kenner prototypes (Earth Toy Mall) hasn't had anything new in years. I heard third hand that they had stopped purchasing former employee items from the girl lines, because they just don't sell as well :P