Has anyone ever done this?

Wardah

Post by Wardah »

I was wondering if anyone has ever made any Dress Up dolls/doll outfits based on this image?

This image is from a shirt I bought at Hot Topic many, many years ago and is the image that inspired the costumes by Darkfire Wolfe on this page:

https://www.rainbowbrite.co.uk/index.ph ... wolfe-2215

silverorangetears

Post by silverorangetears »

hope people don't. i'm not a fan of "Raver rainbow brite"

Rainbowbrite84

Post by Rainbowbrite84 »

silverorangetears wrote:hope people don't. i'm not a fan of "Raver rainbow brite"
Me either. How did RB get that image of being a raver anyway?

Wardah

Post by Wardah »

Rainbowbrite84 wrote:
silverorangetears wrote:hope people don't. i'm not a fan of "Raver rainbow brite"
Me either. How did RB get that image of being a raver anyway?
I am not a raver myself, nor was I ever (tho I liked the music and the fashion I preferred to sit in front of my computer back then and anyways I never knew where any raves were), but what is wrong with ravers? I know there are some not so good sterotypes about ravers but there were/are also straight edge ravers that stay away from anything illegal and only get high on the music (which is the kind I would imagine Rainbow and friends to be). Rainbow got the image because ravers often would wear shirts with 80's characters, including Rainbow Brite, on them and colorful things.

I know "Raver Rainbow Brite" might not be your taste but I and maybe others do like her. I have noticed a disturbing trend of people here that are intolerant of other people liking anything other than normal regular 80's RB. I have gotten criticized for liking the 2010 style, the 90's style, and now "Raver" style. I am almost afraid to pitch the idea of the characters in a formal wear style since I'd probably get criticized for that too. :(

silverorangetears

I'm just not a huge fan of making characters "grow up" so.. that covers your like of the 90s/2010 collection, and the raver scene. Rainbow Brite is not a 20 something dancing in a backyard barn with 100 other kids doing illegal drugs or just listening to crazy music and flashing lights...

She's a magical 8 year old who wants to bring color and happiness to the world by flying on a magical rainbow, with a talking horse, and share it with her friends! see the difference?

i never said you COULDN'T like Raver Rainbow Brite... just that I don't like it... you're going to have to accept that just because you DO like something doesn't mean everyone will :)(same as just because i don't like it, doesn't mean YOU can't) lots of people flock to old 80s cartoons because they're innocent, remind them of their childhood, are sweet, and surgery, and generally happy.

It's not so much that we're against what you like.. but we're not for changing what we DO like.. it's the same reason people get mad when the Rainbow becomes a "cultural symbol". a thing gets labeled, and then people who like it get labeled. it sucks.

i don't think you've been criticized for saying you liked the Raver Style, you just weren't agreed with...

that being said...
custom creations, that reflect the actual characters personalities are always interesting to see.. I'd like to see characters in formal wear :) i just don't want to see them in bikini's, or micro-sexy-miniskirts, or other adult wear that i wouldn't want to necessarily see on an 8 year old.

Clinozoisite

Post by Clinozoisite »

silverorangetears wrote: i don't think you've been criticized for saying you liked the Raver Style, you just weren't agreed with...
Actually, your comment came across as incredibly critical and rude. I was pretty shocked when I first read what you wrote. Telling someone you HOPE that no one makes a doll like that is VERY critical, hands down.
silverorangetears wrote:i never said you COULDN'T like Raver Rainbow Brite... just that I don't like it... you're going to have to accept that just because you DO like something doesn't mean everyone will
Wardah wasn't asking for opinions about Raver Rainbow. The query was specifically about whether or not custom dolls had been made in this style. A simple "yes" or "no" would have sufficed.

silverorangetears

saying that i hope something doesn't happen because i don't like it is critical? I'm sorry, i suppose i should have prefaced it another way.. to make sure it was known that it was just my opinion.. (which i thought was obvious from the whole "I Don't care for it" thing...

as for specifically answering Wardah's question with a "yes" or a "no".. i could have.. but the beauty of forums is that people can post MORE than what was asked.. even share their opinions...

imagine a forum where everyone answered with exactly and only the answer the OP asked for.. how boring ^.^

jazzycreations

Post by jazzycreations »

i've never seen outfit made like that, but I think a couple of them would be cut efor the dress up versions, like indigo, since it actually covers her stomache I like the outfit witht he hat. it's cute & I think lala looks cute with the little hat visor on too.

I think the glittery visor for rb would be cute to make too. they already made one for the dolls from vintage line, so why not glitter it up?

the overall outfit on patty would be cute too, like the whole 80's died jean material.
the other not so sure, but if tweeked could be cute. Maybe one day I could have a go. First I want to do the dress up doll outfit line :) Still keeping my eye out for the materials.

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

The 1996-97 dolls were not grown up. They seemed to be about 6 or 7 years old. The 2003-05 dolls were close copies of the original 80's dolls, so about 5 years old. It was only the 2009-10 dolls that were obviously more grown up than the originals at 10 or 11 years of age. All of these are far from the 20-something picture you painted.

I don't have anything against seeing Rainbow wearing Raver fashions. It's nice to see her "out of uniform" once in a while and the same for the Color Kids. And raver clothes or not, I don't see Rainbow and her friends ever doing anything that would get them arrested. I don't see anything wrong with the image at the start of this topic but it hasn't inspired me to ring up Jasmine and ask her to make me any custom dolls like the ones in the image.

As to seeing RB & the CK drawn as adults, it depends on the artist and the style. I don't care for anime and I don't care for streetwalker outfits on kids or adults, real or imagined. Avoid those and I'm normally OK with that sort of thing.

As the question of have any custom dolls been made of 'Raver Brite', I think it's possible that at least one of them exists. There are a number of people around the world that make custom dolls (some are rather better than others) and there's no way we can ask each of them so chances are we'll never know the real answer.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Wardah

Post by Wardah »

jazzycreations wrote:i've never seen outfit made like that, but I think a couple of them would be cute for the dress up versions, like indigo, since it actually covers her stomache I like the outfit with the hat. it's cute & I think lala looks cute with the little hat visor on too.
Aren't the dress up dolls naked underneath anyways? I know the hard body 2003 dolls are naked underneath also.