My Little Pony

J3llyb3ans

My Little Pony

Post by J3llyb3ans »

So I'm checking out the My Little Pony cartoon. I had some very very vague memories of it as a kid. My source for watching is youtube. Since of course you can't find the old show on DVD.

The episodes aren't numbered, so I referred to Wiki for a little help ( I like watching shows in chronological order ).

The first special Rescue At Midnight Castle was cool. It had a bit of an epic fantasy feel to it. I couldn't help but think it would have worked out better as two episodes, in order to add more character development. In some ways it reminded me of The Beginning Of Rainbow Land. Anyone else get that vibe?

The second special Escape From Catrina was pretty good. It seems the show took a bit of a different direction here. Still a good special.

So far, it's enjoyable, cute, and charming. the ponies are cute and I'd like it if they'd elaborate more on each one's character. Megan's definitely a cool and lovely character as well.

I am left with a few questions. Where to go from here? Since the episodes up aren't numbered, what are some of the most exceptional episodes of the series? Is there more character develpment for the ponies (there are quite a few of them) as the show goes on? How's the new version?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by J3llyb3ans on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tennyo

Re: New to MLP (kinda)

Post by Tennyo »

The ponies that were in Escape from Midnight Castle are only in that episode, same thing with the Escape from Catrina ponies I do believe. Then there's the movie which had new animation and an all new set of ponies that moved into a new home, and Megan looks a bit different and has siblings now, but the episodes made after the movie keep the same cast consistently with occasional new ponies thrown in whenever new toys were made.

Then there was My Little Pony tales where they all lived in houses and did human type things. Probably more character development but no epic adventures, just pre-teen drama. lol

New show is all cutesy cute and aimed at an even younger audience. It has the exact same seven characters and makes you wonder if anyone else lives in "Ponyville." It just recently had an art style change and the ponies all look chibi.

And that's basically it. :)

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

Since of course you can't find the old show on DVD.
Yes you can. :)
http://www.amazon.com/My-Little-Pony-Co ... 072&sr=8-1

I have it, "My little pony the complete first season" its awesome
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

WishBear2001

Post by WishBear2001 »

Tennyo wrote:The ponies that were in Escape from Midnight Castle are only in that episode, same thing with the Escape from Catrina ponies I do believe. Then there's the movie which had new animation and an all new set of ponies that moved into a new home, and Megan looks a bit different and has siblings now, but the episodes made after the movie keep the same cast consistently with occasional new ponies thrown in whenever new toys were made.

Then there was My Little Pony tales where they all lived in houses and did human type things. Probably more character development but no epic adventures, just pre-teen drama. lol

New show is all cutesy cute and aimed at an even younger audience. It has the exact same seven characters and makes you wonder if anyone else lives in "Ponyville." It just recently had an art style change and the ponies all look chibi.

I heard there is a mayor, an old lady (looks like Scootaloo to me) and a dragon as well in the new movie

J3llyb3ans

Post by J3llyb3ans »

Tennyo wrote:The ponies that were in Escape from Midnight Castle are only in that episode, same thing with the Escape from Catrina ponies I do believe. Then there's the movie which had new animation and an all new set of ponies that moved into a new home, and Megan looks a bit different and has siblings now, but the episodes made after the movie keep the same cast consistently with occasional new ponies thrown in whenever new toys were made.

I guess they decided to switch up the cast in the early episodes for the purpose of selling toys. I've watched the movie and a handful of random episodes so far. I do like that the ponies characters are more pronounced in these. So far I'd say Baby Lickety Split, Fizzy, North Star, and Morning Glory have been my favorite ponies. This is definitely a very charming series, I wonder Why I hadn't checked it out before.

I also watched a couple My Little Pony Tales episodes. This show has it's own particular cuteness and charm. I guess the writers behind the show or maybe some toy company execs realized how versatile the idea was and created this.

I'm definitely going to watch more of both those series and it's very likely I'll check out the new version out of curiosity. Plus the whole chibi thing makes it sound super cute. Image
Dialga-Brite wrote:
Since of course you can't find the old show on DVD.
Yes you can. :)
http://www.amazon.com/My-Little-Pony-Co ... 072&sr=8-1

I have it, "My little pony the complete first season" its awesome
Whoa! That is great news. Thanks. Image

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

you're welcome! :D

J3llyb3ans

Post by J3llyb3ans »

Ok. I've been watching more MLP and MLP Tales. Fun stuff. This show has really won me over. I've been inspired artistically by it as well (That normally means it's a definite win). I think I'll check out some of the new stuff.

Anyway I've found some really cool MLP related stuff.

I found this epic music video set to Rhapsody's The Last Winged Unicorn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k123asZh6n4
They did take some liberties on editing, but my main question is "Where's Megan? Why did they edit her out?"

On the funny side of things I found this ultra cute and funny webcomic called Kimono's Town House.
http://kimonostownhouse.com/index.html

I wonder if it's too late to turn this thread into a general My Little Pony discussion?

edit: I just changed the title, so apparently it is possible.

Dialga-Brite

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Dialga-Brite »

I wonder if it's too late to turn this thread into a general My Little Pony discussion?

Well, it coulda been anyway even if you hadnt changed it. No need to be so rule bound, just saying. :)

J3llyb3ans

Post by J3llyb3ans »

Dialga-Brite wrote:

Well, it coulda been anyway even if you hadnt changed it. No need to be so rule bound, just saying. :)
S'ok. I was just trying to make it look official. Image

Anyway, even my avatar has gone MLP. as you can see, Bowtie has won me over.

I had a chance to watch an episode of the new series, it was called A Charming Birthday. Now, I was somewhat familiar with Kimono and Minty or should I say their funny comic versions from Kimono's Townhouse, so seeing the cartoon characters they were inspired by was cool.

IndigoJoy

Post by IndigoJoy »

My favorite ponies were generally the first ones I had... Windy (I think I called her Wendy a lot, lol), Baby Glory, and Baby Lickety Split. I also had a fondness for Lofty and Medley. Loved Megan & Sundance, but loved Molly & Baby Sundance even more.

Oh, and I didn't discover her until I was grown up, but Merriweather... a Twice As Fancy pony covered in rainbows. :)

Out of the new line (G3) I loved Rainbow Dash, of course, and Wishawhirl, Wind Wisher, Kiwi Tart, and Shenanigans. I also loved Tea Party Rainbow Dash & Pinkie Pie, and Tea Leaf, because I collect miniature tea sets (I have almost 100 - no more room so collection is on permanent hold).

I do not like the G4 ponies.

As much as I loved Rainbow Brite, as a child I dreamed not only of having a Color Belt, but also having a Rainbow Locket that held the Rainbow of Light. Even then I noticed how powerful rainbows seemed to be in cartoons... RB and MLP had them, and when the Care Bears did a Care Bear Stare, it often turned into a rainbow.

My mom often used to sit on my bed and we'd make up a story together that would be my dream for the night. She might start telling the story, then I'd take over, and give it back to her, and so on. There were plenty of RB-MLP-Care Bear-SSC crossovers. ;)
Upon the Rainbow, my rainbow blog.