Custom Plush Skydancer

emeraldscales

Custom Plush Skydancer

Post by emeraldscales »

Months and months ago I had the urge to try and create a plush version of Stormy's horse, Skydancer. After a disasterous first try, my second attempt came out much better than I had anticipated. First, I found a messed up Starlite plush and removed the star applique. Next, I dyed him with a mix of black and purple RIT dye, which did not come out as dark as I'd have hoped since polyester does not soak up color as well as other fabrics. After removing all his yarn hair, I glued a ton of light purple yarn between two strips of felt and stuffed it into the slit I had cut along his mane, then slip stitched the opening shut. For the tail, I gathered a ton of yarn into a group and knotted the end, stuffed it into the hole, and sewed the hole shut. The lightning bolt is a piece of felt glued onto his head, and his hooves are light purple felt glued around the original ones. While he may not be exactly like the version on the TV show, I think he came out pretty good all the same! Unfortunately, I have decided to part with most of my Rainbow Brite collectibles and I think I will be throwing him on Ebay later tonight, but he was fun to make and I'm sure he'll find someone to love him!.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Re: Custom Plush Skydancer

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Oh he's GREAT!!! I tried dying a Starlite pink once to make a Sunriser, but the dye hardly took at all...it was a disaster...lol. Yours is awesome!! Great job :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

emeraldscales

Post by emeraldscales »

I bet if you tried dying one pink with a mixture of the Rose colored RIT dye and a small amount of a darker tone like purple, it might come out better. Let it sit longer than the package calls for as well. In addition, do not use any bleach or fabric soap on the horse to clean any spots because the dye will not stick, that was the mistake I made in my first attempt, and the horse just looked dirty.

Rainbowbrite84

Post by Rainbowbrite84 »

Wow! It came out great!! I love it :)

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Aww he's adorable! I don't think I've seen a plush Skydancer on there so it'll be interesting to see what he goes for :)
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Regina

Post by Regina »

Wow! Very nice, definitely very original, never seen one of those on ebay!

emeraldscales

Post by emeraldscales »

Rainbow Brite wrote:Oh he's GREAT!!! I tried dying a Starlite pink once to make a Sunriser, but the dye hardly took at all...it was a disaster...lol. Yours is awesome!! Great job :)

Were you the winning bidder on him? I recognized the rainbowbrite.net web address was the same as the winner's email and figured that since it was your site, it was probably you who bid on him. If so, congratulations!

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Yep! That was me :D I'm so excited to add him to my collection!
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

he's really pretty! :)
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

Starlight_84

Post by Starlight_84 »

Congrats Rainbow Brite on getting him. I wouldn't mind a Skydancer plush.

Made By: Tennyo