Any news from Playmates?

Wardah

Any news from Playmates?

Post by Wardah »

Oh well I guess there are always customs. I think lack of retailer interest is to blame. Retailers were reluctant to carry yet another "nostalgia" line after other similar lines didn't do as well. The rerelease of PJ Sparkles was also an epic fail with the dolls not moving even though they were really cute. Maybe if the other items do good they will give the doll license to someone else (Mattel should really take it back and give SSC some decent competition like back in the day) I really don't know how I can support the current line as it is tho. I don't have any kids so child bikes and PJs are of no use to me. The retro Target stuff is cute but its not the new style that I had such high hopes for.

I wonder if you are able to get any proto or design pics from Playmates? I'd still like to see their take on Stormy and what all the unreleased dolls look like. Stormy always gets left behind eh?

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Any news from Playmates?

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

You don't need a PhD in marketing to see this was a failure from the start. Launch delayed into a dead time of the year for retailing, no TV program to sell the toys, "Polly Pocket" construction of the dolls and accessories, failure to develop the line properly...

Of course they said the new dolls were selling well at the intro. What else could they say?

So who's the bad guy here? Hallmark, United Media or Playmates? All three?

If there's going to be a Gen 5 Rainbow Brite, I hope that Hallmark realizes that it needs to get Mattel on board for the relaunch and make somewhat larger versions of most of the Gen 1 dolls. And that it's backed up with at least a year of two of cartoon episodes, a couple of movies, books and all the rest from the start. And you can't afford to turn off your fanbase if you expect them to buy the new products for their kids or grandkids or as collector's items for themselves. I think a lot of us were appalled by the Gen 4 dolls and had little or no personal use for them. They were anything but soft and cuddly I still don't have any of them in my collection, which consists of most of the Gen 1 Mattel items, all of Gen 2, and selected Gen 3 RB items. Yes, I'll get one of each RB doll from Gen 4 but that's the end of it.

Sorry to say this, but I'm really :rotfl: ROTFLMAO :rotfl: at the Gen 4 stuff. It didn't even last as long as the Gen 2 line, which is mostly shunned by collectors.

:( :angry: :raincloud: :banghead: :wacko: :confused: :thumbdown: :angry2: :ohmy:

Bye-bye, :rb: Rainbow. :bawl: Hope you come back and visit us again and under much better management.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

*C9*

Any news from Playmates?

Post by *C9* »

It was always Hallmark's fault from the beginning and always will be they sit on this property and do NOTHING with it! They didn't even carry this newline in their stores!

Carlton Cards needs to steal the licensing properties and use Hasbro or Mattel to do the merchandising rights. Look Hallmark you are an epic fail!

Wardah

Any news from Playmates?

Post by Wardah »

I guess I am the opposite in that I wanted them smaller. I am not a big fan of rag dolls or "stuffies" and the smaller the better. That's why I had absolutely no interest in the big Rainbow from the recent release. When I had heard it was Playmates that had them I was hoping they were planning on using the left over SSC molds. I kind of don't exactly think Rainbow really fits into what Hallmark stores sell these days. They kind of are focused on "cards and collectible gifts" these days so I doubt they had any intention to carry Rainbow Brite stuff even if the line was super successful.

Aquarius

Any news from Playmates?

Post by Aquarius »

*C9* wrote:It was always Hallmark's fault from the beginning and always will be they sit on this property and do NOTHING with it! They didn't even carry this newline in their stores!

Carlton Cards needs to steal the licensing properties and use Hasbro or Mattel to do the merchandising rights. Look Hallmark you are an epic fail!
Exactly.

You know it's bad when you can tell it was going to fail before the dolls were even out. Bunch of idiots. Why did they even bother with the line in the first place? I'm happy that they came out, but sheesh, a 5-year-old could do a better job at marketing the line that those clowns...

:rb: :rbtwink: :rbstarlite:
Everyone has an opinion and some of them may be different than yours. BUT that doesn’t make them wrong only different.

SunSpire
Site Admin

Any news from Playmates?

Post by SunSpire »

Not much has been said by Hallmark other than they're looking for new licensees and they have some other things in mind that they can't talk about at this time.

RBUK said she's in touch with them to find out more, but she's currently away and cannot post on the boards until she's back.

"SunSpire"
[html]* <a target="_blank" href="http://www.sunspire-records.com">SunSpire Records
</a>*
[/html]

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Any news from Playmates?

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

Aquarius wrote:
*C9* wrote:It was always Hallmark's fault from the beginning and always will be they sit on this property and do NOTHING with it! They didn't even carry this newline in their stores!

Exactly.

You know it's bad when you can tell it was going to fail before the dolls were even out. Bunch of idiots. Why did they even bother with the line in the first place? I'm happy that they came out, but sheesh, a 5-year-old could do a better job at marketing the line that those clowns...

:rb: :rbtwink: :rbstarlite:

You both hit the nail right on the head. Somehow I think Hallmark is run by the Marx Brothers. Do a search on them if you don't know who they are.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Wardah

Any news from Playmates?

Post by Wardah »

I am not so sure Hallmark is really to blame especially if they are looking for new licensees. Perhaps they had better expectations out of Playmates as far as the toys were concerned. I mean the kids PJs and bikes all came out as planned but that is because other companies besides Playmates were licensed to make them. I think Hallmark can't really do much other than license Rainbow to other companies. Perhaps the reason the original Rainbow Brite toy line was marketed so well had nothing to do with Hallmark either and had everything to do with Mattel.

*C9*

Any news from Playmates?

Post by *C9* »

Hallmark owns the property rights they have the power to do anything with it. What do they do? Nothing! Look at how well care bears and SSC are doing( even if I don't like them) their property owners know HOW to market their rights. Carlton Cards even sells/sold the items in their store. They really should give up the rights to better company that can do something with it.
Wardah wrote:I kind of don't exactly think Rainbow really fits into what Hallmark stores sell these days. They kind of are focused on "cards and collectible gifts" these days so I doubt they had any intention to carry Rainbow Brite stuff even if the line was super successful.
Their store is a disaster. It looks like some dollar store crossed with a yard sale. They have so much JUNK in their it hardly looks classy or even has a target market. It would fit in fine if they cleaned up that mess of a store. I can't sell what is what. I won't even buy cards from them, all they have is junk. I would rather support Carlton Cards who makes betters stuff and makes ornaments every year at least of their properties.

stormberryfairy

Any news from Playmates?

Post by stormberryfairy »

That is so sad. :( But I totally agree that they did not advertise her enough. A new show or dvd's, lots of commercials, a magazine, books.....something! They could have gotten her out there better.