Titanic...97 years today

TheWendybird

Titanic...97 years today

Post by TheWendybird »

Just curious...were any of you into the Titanic BEFORE the movie? LOL I remember learning about it in elementary school and no one hardly cared but OH the movie came out and everyone is like "omg i love titanic" it was really annoying cause most people just talked about how cute they thought Leo was in the movie. Today it's 97 years since it's sinking. Was wondering if anyone out there always keeps track of when it's anniversary comes around like I do?
*~*~Krista~*~*
Mrs. Starvoyager as of 11/22/09 :D
"Hail Stormy full of fury! Rainbow is with Thee!" :P

FanChan

Re: Titanic...97 years today

Post by FanChan »

I knew of the Titanic from school, but have never paid much attention to it. Mom dragged me to see the movie (I didn't even want to see it xD), and while I appreciated the movie, I still wasn't a huge follower of the event itself. I do, however, love to follow the excavation of the sunken ship. Archaeology and salvage and anything related are things I've always found fascinating, and the technology that's developed in the exploration of the Titanic and other great shipwrecks are quite interesting.

I actually went through a time in my life where I was petrified of water, especially large quantities of uncontrollable water, such as the ocean. During that time in my life, my Astronomy class in high school took a field trip to the Science Center. During that time, an exhibit on the Titanic was there, with artifacts or recreations of artifacts, etc. That was all well and good. I ran ahead of my little group and saw this life-size model of one of the lifeboats sitting on a platform , surrounded by screens at about head-height, though I couldn't see what they were. I love boats, and loved them even when I was petrified of water, so I quickly rushed over and ducked under the screens to have a look at it. I spent a few seconds looking it over, just as a couple of friends joined me, when I looked up and saw what was on those screens. A 360 degree view of open water.

It was a few years before I cared about the Titanic again xD
"I hope you know what you're doing, Rainbow."
"You still doubt me, after all this time?"
"I don't doubt," Krys said as he paused at the door. "I worry."

-Excerpt from my yet unnamed RB doujinshi.

Major Ursa

Post by Major Ursa »

I've been facinated by Titanic for a while. I already have 3 books with art by Ken Marschall on Titanic as well as one on her and her two sister ships. I plan to work on a 1/400 scale model of it as well ( I already have a smaller version). I also watch almost every year my DVD version of the popoular movie. I always have been intersted in the ship itself especially before the tragic sinking.
Rainbow brite fan since 1984.

TheWendybird

Post by TheWendybird »

FanChan wrote:I knew of the Titanic from school, but have never paid much attention to it. Mom dragged me to see the movie (I didn't even want to see it xD), and while I appreciated the movie, I still wasn't a huge follower of the event itself. I do, however, love to follow the excavation of the sunken ship. Archaeology and salvage and anything related are things I've always found fascinating, and the technology that's developed in the exploration of the Titanic and other great shipwrecks are quite interesting.

I actually went through a time in my life where I was petrified of water, especially large quantities of uncontrollable water, such as the ocean. During that time in my life, my Astronomy class in high school took a field trip to the Science Center. During that time, an exhibit on the Titanic was there, with artifacts or recreations of artifacts, etc. That was all well and good. I ran ahead of my little group and saw this life-size model of one of the lifeboats sitting on a platform , surrounded by screens at about head-height, though I couldn't see what they were. I love boats, and loved them even when I was petrified of water, so I quickly rushed over and ducked under the screens to have a look at it. I spent a few seconds looking it over, just as a couple of friends joined me, when I looked up and saw what was on those screens. A 360 degree view of open water.

It was a few years before I cared about the Titanic again xD

LOL wow. I'm not sure if that view itself would have scared me or not. I was always scared of drowning...I don't know how to swim...i've still gone out on boats on the ocean and all but usually antsy...at least for the first little while. But I can tell you I definately had a major fear for a while....for a while I wouldn't go out on boats...in fact I still havn't been..I'm not sure why my fear became more magnified the past so many years...I use to have issues driving past lakes and ponds that didn't have metal railing going along the side of the road....i use to clam up till we passed it.

All this being said...though I was scared of drowning I always loved sea creatures (especially the humpback whale they're my favorite...and i love sharks) and mermaids and stories from sea....yet I dunno how to swim haha

And Major...I totally wanted to have one of those 3D puzzles of the titanic but could never find one. Still keeping my eye out for when I see one. I was going to watch the movie today too but I find I have a bit of a headache so I guess I'll say "wait and see" on that one :(
*~*~Krista~*~*

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

I've never seen the movie at all. I know all about it but I just never had an interest in seeing it. As for the real ship, it's never been a part of history that's intrigued me... my favorite parts of history are the WWII stuff and stuff on prisoners in the Vietnam War. Reading about the titanic is just not my cup of tea ^_^"
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

TheWendybird

Post by TheWendybird »

Chibi Rachy wrote:I've never seen the movie at all. I know all about it but I just never had an interest in seeing it. As for the real ship, it's never been a part of history that's intrigued me... my favorite parts of history are the WWII stuff and stuff on prisoners in the Vietnam War. Reading about the titanic is just not my cup of tea ^_^"
Haha to each their own! :) I like WWII stuff too. My great grandfather was a prisoner of war in Japan for 4 years!
*~*~Krista~*~*

Major Ursa

Post by Major Ursa »

A lot of our grandparents, uncles, and aunts were involed in World War 2. I would recomend The Greatest Generation by former NBC News anchorman Tom Broaka.

Tilas

Post by Tilas »

I've been interested in the Titanic for years. I like reading about it and looking at the photos of the remains and things like that. I've always been fascinated by abandoned/destroyed/etc things.
I thought the Leo movie was stupid really, I prefer the older movies, they were a lot more accurate.
My Deviant Art~ KeonaKii

Major Ursa

Post by Major Ursa »

Actually, the 1997 version was more accurate than it's predicessors because of the fact that Titanic did split up when it sank. That was discoverd in the 1985 expedition.

*C9*

Post by *C9* »

Yeah I did some research in my mom's encyclopedias as a kid. The movie was pretty good never want to see it again unless I'm bored out of my skull. Some movies are too long or just not that good a 2nd time around. I prefer documentaries or realistic things of events like that. It still is pretty scary being frozen the da water >..<