Views-Continued from the music discussion thread

Chibi Rachy

Re: Views-Continued from the music discussion thread

Post by Chibi Rachy »

TheWendybird wrote:You know something that got on my nerves about school? I dunno if it's different elsewhere but my school did not teach us how to do taxes lol I really feel like they should.
They don't really teach that anymore. I never learned it in high school either. My mom learned it in school and she does the family taxes, mine, my brother's, and relatives too. Though, there are many electronic programs these days to use and unless you have a lot of other stuff, basic taxes aren't supposed to be that hard. I dunno.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

TheWendybird

Post by TheWendybird »

Dialga-Brite wrote:
that was just horrible of him to treat his own daughter like that! :(
Oh yes I know...I'm not the wendybird on here just for kicks..much too much in my life feels like Wendy in peter pan...my dad's name is George like hers too lol He's a real dinkus. LOL I was "kicked out of the nursery" too so to speak. I had two baby brothers Lewis, and Aaron who were born last july who i now never get to see since only a month after their birth he turned into a crazy person on me. I knew he was capable of this before though because my mom had told me but I'd never seen it for myself until last year. We'd been estranged most of my life up till 2006 when I decided to try and see him...since he'd been trying for years to get me to give him a chance (one he didnt deserve but i try to never write people off like that). He was great when he was with this other woman..then he met this lady named Joy and they decided to have babies then suddenly he started in on this ....i dunno what to call it. It really really did a number on me for a few months. Nightmares about seeing my baby brothers and him taking them away from me. Really heartbreaking. He's a real jerk....i just hope someday they'll understand and not believe all his lies he'll prably tell them.
Often times it does seem to me like children are much less judgemental than adults... my hope is that today's children are able to keep that non-judgementalness when they grow up. It's probably more likely now that more indigos, crystals, and rainbows are being born.

good luck to you and starvoyager! :)
Amen to that...i'm always on the lookout for more indigos, crystals and rainbows....i find it all very interesting.

And thankyou :)
*~*~Krista~*~*
Mrs. Starvoyager as of 11/22/09 :D
"Hail Stormy full of fury! Rainbow is with Thee!" :P

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

TheWendybird wrote:
Often times it does seem to me like children are much less judgemental than adults... my hope is that today's children are able to keep that non-judgementalness when they grow up. It's probably more likely now that more indigos, crystals, and rainbows are being born.

good luck to you and starvoyager! :)
Amen to that...i'm always on the lookout for more indigos, crystals and rainbows....i find it all very interesting.

And thankyou :)
I disagree... children today can be just as bad as children of the past. The difference today is that there is more political correctness and certain things aren't right to be said anymore. So therefore you've got multiculturalism being pumped into schools that goes beyond just race issues. Unfortunately, children do not form their own opinions and beliefs...much of what they say at young ages is what they've heard adults around them saying.

It is getting better because education and political correctness have played a part. However, it is still up to the child. I deal with a daycare kid who's in 3rd grade daily... she can be quite rascist with her remarks and not realize it. I come down on her when she starts and slowly she is changing, but it takes effort to give a child a start... if they get multiple ideas and beliefs then they are able to form their own later in life when they try to break away from the parent-child relationship
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

I disagree... children today can be just as bad as children of the past. The difference today is that there is more political correctness and certain things aren't right to be said anymore. So therefore you've got multiculturalism being pumped into schools that goes beyond just race issues. Unfortunately, children do not form their own opinions and beliefs...much of what they say at young ages is what they've heard adults around them saying.
this can be true, but I think the indigos and them all have a little more of a mind of their own. They still need to be taught some things and have their parents help them, but I think there are some things that as indigos they just know, even at an early age.
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Dialga-Brite wrote:
this can be true, but I think the indigos and them all have a little more of a mind of their own. They still need to be taught some things and have their parents help them, but I think there are some things that as indigos they just know, even at an early age.
Yes, but I don't believe in that theory so it doesn't apply to anything I said. Children are not able to form beliefs and opinions. It is all based on environmental factors, nurture vs. nature. Even then, a child still may not follow that form. A child who grows up being bullied may very well grow up to be a bully. Children who grow up in torn homes (in whatever way you choose to add torn) can either follow the path of the family or they break away. I have never come across a children who is completely different than others. In one way or another, the child will have some sort of prejudice. Many of my students are quick to judge another when something of theirs comes up missing. Others are quick to tease. Just depends on nature vs. nurture with the child.

TheWendybird

Post by TheWendybird »

Chibi Rachy wrote:
Yes, but I don't believe in that theory so it doesn't apply to anything I said. Children are not able to form beliefs and opinions. It is all based on environmental factors, nurture vs. nature. Even then, a child still may not follow that form. A child who grows up being bullied may very well grow up to be a bully. Children who grow up in torn homes (in whatever way you choose to add torn) can either follow the path of the family or they break away. I have never come across a children who is completely different than others. In one way or another, the child will have some sort of prejudice. Many of my students are quick to judge another when something of theirs comes up missing. Others are quick to tease. Just depends on nature vs. nurture with the child.
To some extent I agree with this and to another extent I don't. Because I was one of the kids who thought outside the box. I was raised around people who thought certain things but i didn't automatically think them. Say for christianity but even then..I wasn't hardcore into that until about age 20. It was just something i did..go to church...while all the time i had my own views on things. All i ever wanted was for people to get along. I didn't think anyone had to be like me in any way shape or form..so I by far do believe children can form opinions and beliefs on their own. No one told me to believe fraggles or care bears were real..i believed that on my own lol Still do :P haha

Any thing thats possible for an adult is possible for a child. I know many many adults who are still a part of belief systems for instance simply cause that's what their family raised them as. I've met more kids who think for themselves than adults. But perhaps we've just hung around different circles haha
*~*~Krista~*~*

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

TheWendybird wrote:To some extent I agree with this and to another extent I don't. Because I was one of the kids who thought outside the box. I was raised around people who thought certain things but i didn't automatically think them. Say for christianity but even then..I wasn't hardcore into that until about age 20. It was just something i did..go to church...while all the time i had my own views on things. All i ever wanted was for people to get along. I didn't think anyone had to be like me in any way shape or form..so I by far do believe children can form opinions and beliefs on their own. No one told me to believe fraggles or care bears were real..i believed that on my own lol Still do :P haha

Any thing thats possible for an adult is possible for a child. I know many many adults who are still a part of belief systems for instance simply cause that's what their family raised them as. I've met more kids who think for themselves than adults. But perhaps we've just hung around different circles haha
It goes without saying that there are some exceptions. Of course, looking back as adults, we don't always remember everything from when we were a child... we are processing with an adult mind now and do tend to overanalyze memories and how we acted. I can say that I remember having some of my own opinions, but as a youngster, I followed what my parents and others said for the most part. What I would say would be things I heard from adults and news. As a teenager I became able to form my own opinions and beliefs until I was able to change from my parents/family/whatever beliefs and opinions to my own.

Some of the stuff that adults still follow only because it was how they were raised can also do with fear. Fear of rejection, fear of what will be said, fear of being pushed aside for not following the "norm". (Norm being whatever it is that they are still doing). And sure it's one thing to hope for change with that, but one must remember to respect the ideals of the person raising them, even if they don't agree. They did what was best at the time, even if it wasn't the best or the person doesn't agree with it now.

TheWendybird

Post by TheWendybird »

Chibi Rachy wrote:
TheWendybird wrote:To some extent I agree with this and to another extent I don't. Because I was one of the kids who thought outside the box. I was raised around people who thought certain things but i didn't automatically think them. Say for christianity but even then..I wasn't hardcore into that until about age 20. It was just something i did..go to church...while all the time i had my own views on things. All i ever wanted was for people to get along. I didn't think anyone had to be like me in any way shape or form..so I by far do believe children can form opinions and beliefs on their own. No one told me to believe fraggles or care bears were real..i believed that on my own lol Still do :P haha

It goes without saying that there are some exceptions. Of course, looking back as adults, we don't always remember everything from when we were a child... we are processing with an adult mind now and do tend to overanalyze memories and how we acted. I can say that I remember having some of my own opinions, but as a youngster, I followed what my parents and others said for the most part. What I would say would be things I heard from adults and news. As a teenager I became able to form my own opinions and beliefs until I was able to change from my parents/family/whatever beliefs and opinions to my own.

Some of the stuff that adults still follow only because it was how they were raised can also do with fear. Fear of rejection, fear of what will be said, fear of being pushed aside for not following the "norm". (Norm being whatever it is that they are still doing). And sure it's one thing to hope for change with that, but one must remember to respect the ideals of the person raising them, even if they don't agree. They did what was best at the time, even if it wasn't the best or the person doesn't agree with it now.
Oh yes it's no disrespect to the person who had raised someone but no one should ever feel pressure to not be able to believe or live how they want freely. My mom doesn't even practice christianity and when I finally came out of the "broom closet" as a pagan...she pretty much said to me over the phone "i pray for your soul then". I know the bible...very well...better than she does actually...and I followed it...she doesn't. I ended up having to defend myself by coming back to her saying I was doing that the whole time I was a christian...FOR HER. I told her if there is a hell she's got just as much of a risk of going there as I do because she doesn't follow it. It's all about appearance these days. Mom just wanted me to call myself a christian regardless of what i actually was....it's all about "what will everyone think" and i dont think anyone should be scared of that...especially from family. Sure everyone has their opinions..but stuff like what my mom said should be kept to herself. Because it sounds ridiculous coming from her anyhow :oP But even if she DID practice what she preaches...I should be free to be my own individual and this is something that far too many people are simply not allowed to do. They're trapped. You know..I don't know if we have multiple lives for sure....this COULD be the only life we get i dunno...i know i don't want to waste it worrying what others think of what I really believe or think like. No one should have to.

This is actually what Dialga was talking about..there are a group of children out there...some of whom are adults by now (indigos MOSTLY) who are a special group of children who will bring about a major change in the world. Not saying everyone is one or that kids don't still do what their parents do etc Just that there are some coming now..I believe it's mostly the "crystal" children for this generation currently being born if i remember right...who are different. They don't just follow what everyone says. Many autistic children I've read have turned out to be indigos or this or that.

It's one thing to respect the beliefs of your elders its quite another to be kept in a belief system you know you are not a part of or live a lifestyle you know is not you simply cause mommy and daddy don't like it. It's wrong. If children must respect the parents the parents must respect the children. Anyone who says otherwise needs their head checked (not saying you btw lol). The children have every right to have their own beliefs as the parents do. And everyone should be equally kind to each other about those beliefs. You can agree to disagree and still be a family or get along with people of different faiths or lifestyles. That's the problem with the mindset of humanity. Ultimately they stick to their own kind. i can tell you right now I have friends from every walk of life and I respect each one for their own individual views on things. Though sometimes I wonder how much is actually what they chose or what their parents did. I still respect them. Anyone who deviates should not be treated like a black sheep outcast. It's just them trying to be who they really are inside. You must ALWAYS be true to yourself and not what others want. That has nothing to do with respect. I am not christian. But I respect my family greatly and I respect the upbringing I had. But I also know in other ways it did a lot of damage to me. My message to everyone-BE YOURSELF.
*~*~Krista~*~*

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

I can second wendy's belief that children can come up with opinions on their own. I was fairly little when I was first found out that meat came from slaughtered animals, and I instantly took a disliking to it. I didn't become a vegetarian until like 3 or 4 years ago, but even when I was eating meat I had a problem with it - even when I was a little kid. My mom would always tell me - if you don't like it, become a vegetarian, and so I eventually did.
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Dialga-Brite wrote:I can second wendy's belief that children can come up with opinions on their own. I was fairly little when I was first found out that meat came from slaughtered animals, and I instantly took a disliking to it. I didn't become a vegetarian until like 3 or 4 years ago, but even when I was eating meat I had a problem with it - even when I was a little kid. My mom would always tell me - if you don't like it, become a vegetarian, and so I eventually did.
I didn't say they couldn't. I said it was rarer. I deal with students spouting all sorts of stuff and it's all from their parents. They have no idea what they mean. They just repeat things. Sure they may have opinions on some things, but they either can't act on them or haven't fully processed them. They may not have all the information they need to form a complete opinion.

I don't believe in labeling kids either, for good or bad. We always end up labeling though because that's who we are, but if you label a kid and tell it to their faces, well they start to either become inflated or deflated because of it. I've seen so many kids whose parents labeled them gifted and talked and talked about it to the point where the kid's ego became inflated... and then in the end, after they actually graduated, they're just another kid. They thought they were so good that nothing would hurt them or affect them. And it can go the other way too. Giving a kid a bad label only hurts them. They hear it and think they can never be good enough. So they stop trying. If they aren't going to be good enough, why bother?

I try to see my kids as just any other. I see my above average kids and some of them already think they are better than the others when it comes to grades. But now their grades are suffering because they aren't putting forth the effort. And then I've got kids on the other end who try so hard and are finally doing better. They see that. Two of my boys, T & J, are rather different. T is a bright kid when you get him one on one, but in a large group, forget it. J has asperger's, but you can really only tell if you watch his social skills.

And if I were to voice personal opinions about my students, I really don't like those who think they are smart and that that'll get them by. I prefer my students who work hard and put forth the effort, knowing they really worked to earn that grade.