Old Favorites Made New Again

Chibi Rachy

Old Favorites Made New Again

Post by Chibi Rachy »

So, since Rainbow Brite is being relaunched again, I think it'd be good to discuss other beloved franchises that have been relaunched or brought back over the years. When discussing the new merchandise, three other franchises came up that have been around a long time, some longer than others. Changes and additions have been made over the years, attempts to bring back the series or provide entertainment for newer generations. Sometimes merchandise came out along with it, other times very few items.

For those who can't remember, the three franchises brought up were: Star Trek, Anne of Green Gables, and Phantom of the Opera. Each have their own respective followings. Each has had additions to the franchise that have been good or bad. Only time has told which stay and which go.

Discuss: Your favorite or most beloved franchise that's been brought back time and time again and what was good and bad about it.

I feel I ought to lay down a few rules. One, this thread is meant for discussion of other franchises, and not Rainbow Brite. Therefore, there should be no mention of RB. That's why this thread is in GD to begin with. Two, it's meant to be done in fun, so keep it that way.

~~~~

The franchise I'd choose for this is obviously Anne of Green Gables. I got into this series in 6th grade. I devoured the books and was delighted to find that there were two movies at the time that I could watch. I eventually discovered that the first movie follows the first book pretty closely, but that the second movie is more a combination of books 2,3, and 4. A lot of liberties were taken. I liked it, but certainly not my favorite. A third movie came out and it was completely different from the books. The reason was that the movie timeline was set to start in 1900 and not 1880. This meant that instead of Anne's children being involved in WWI, as the books showed, it would be her and Gilbert. Thus, a new movie was born with these two traversing Europe. I'll be honest and say that it's my favorite movie of the lot. You've still got Anne's spirit and spunk mixed in. I've seen the movie too many times to count.

Now, more recently there have been some newer additions to this franchise. PBS did a cartoon version, which was stupid in my opinion. It was merely another show to teach morals and simply used the characters to do so while adding more of their own. Not a good thing. No merchandise came with it, as far as I know. The original author's family also commissioned a prequel to be written to the books. This book was released in 2006. It was a good read, as it gave more information on Anne's history, which fans did not have. We only had the bits and pieces that Anne brought up throughout the books. However, the book did not have the same feel as the original style. The descriptions lacked and I just wasn't feeling the spirit of Anne, so to speak. There's also been a prequel movie made (which is not tied to the book), but I don't know about it. So far, it's exclusive to Canada and only available as part of an expensive media set. I plan to get it once they release it. I do know that this movie attempts to also explain Anne's history. It does not use any of the original characters from the other movies, not even for the older Anne who starts the film.

Overall, this franchise has had its ups and downs. The books are still timeless classics and will no doubt be around forever for little girls to find. Often, a chapter from the first book is used in a school reader, whether in abridged form or written as a play. Things that aren't so successful just fade away, while the more noted pieces are there to be found. I love the original books, the third movie, and the anime series done in the 70's. It follows the books closely and the art is just beautiful.

~~~~

Your turn. Pick your franchise, discuss what you'd like of its ups and downs, and keep it friendly!
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

TheWendybird

Re: Old Favorites Made New Again

Post by TheWendybird »

You know what franchise I would REALLY like to see brought back? Jem and the Holograms...we've actually discussed this in private about how great it would be if they re-launched Jem and the Holograms and made it like a commentary on the current music industry. The Misfits would be the people who get by using all the wrong methods like many of the "artists" out there today and Jem and the Holograms could be the heart of gold really truly talented band who are good role models and still appealing without degrading themselves to be liked.

I just had to get that out cause I always wanted to see a live action Jem movie and none was ever made hehe

As for "franchise" I cherish most...I suppose it's a franchise...not a major one but Peter Pan is the most important story in my life. There have been great and not so great aspects to this. So we start off in 1904 with JM Barrie's play hitting the stage....it's full of action and heart and innocence. The book gets published in 1911 and so the stage play is built upon more. Love both of these. Have never seen the silent movie but would like to. Cut to the time of Disney and Mary Martin. Now don't get me wrong...I did always LIKE Disney's Pan..but I always knew there was more to it even before I heard the whole story. They don't do it jusice (sorry guys...for any of you who really love that version). Peter Pan is nothing but fluff in most peoples eyes now. In reality the story is quite dark. There are many aspects of Disney's I enjoy...Tinkerbell being the main one...I think she's adorable even when she's flaming mad. Peter's character is all wrong...he doesn't care that Wendy is being teased and splashed by the mermaids. Not that I think water fights are bad..i love them but this was obviously mean spirited. In the novel when addressing the lost boys about something to do with Wendy, Peter says "it would not be sufficiently respectful"...disney's peter is not quite up to par with the real deal. Tho he has his moments when it comes to silliness his serious side is not really quite there...not the way it should be. And of course I love Hook & Smee and the Croc. You just have to laugh when Hook squeals like a woman "SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" when the croc is after him.

Mary Martin's Peter Pan while very enjoyable I find it to be lacking a lot of depth as well. Like Disney's it's all there for the fun but none of the serious aspects are really there at all. The depth is gone.

The same thing goes for things about the life of JM Barrie...don't get me wrong I LOVED "Finding Neverland" but it left so much out...and so much was fictionalized in it and they even left out one of the boys that helped to inspire the story. A really good version of the true events is a BBC movie called "The Lost Boys" written by Andrew Birkin. I've read up about Barrie and his life and I can tell you it is much more faithful. Yet the whimsical nature of Finding Neverland is missing. So I kinda wanna put one movie in each hand and smack them together and you'd have the perfect depiction of the story of JM Barrie lol

Then there was the movie Hook which in spirit I think was great but it's just blasphemy to have Peter Pan grow up...and interesting idea if you look at it as an alternate universe. Since I was a small girl I always got chills when Wendy opens the book to a picture of Peter Pan and says to Robin Williams (playing Peter) "Peter don't you know who you are?" John Williams music is amazing.

The best depiction aside from Barrie's itself is the 2003 movie I think. Tho I think Peter should have had a british accent (Jeremy Sumpter was great anyhow though) and Hook just shouldnt fly. I think it did a good job in keeping Barrie's spirit but elaborating on it. The feelings are there in the original story but not brought out as much and it was interesting to see it finally.

I really like the disney faeries line but after watching the Tinkerbell movie I realized Tink doesn't really act like Tink...but we're kinda thinking somewhere in the sequels they plan to have...Tink's personality from the original disney movie will come out more and more....something will make her develop that fiery temper.

I kinda think Peter Pan has like I said in another thread about the Phantom of the opera not had very fair treatment in MOST versions but not all.

My main complaint about Peter Pan as a "franchise" if you can call it that is that Tinkerbell has completely taken it over and you don't get to see anything of the other characters. I would also like to see more stuff relating to Peter Pan that isn't disney. But I guess that's more the decision of Great Ormand Street Hospital who own the rights.

As for adding to the franchise...we're hoping we may help that someday ...hopefully not TOO far into the future....but thats hush hush for now ;) hehe
*~*~Krista~*~*
Mrs. Starvoyager as of 11/22/09 :D
"Hail Stormy full of fury! Rainbow is with Thee!" :P

Major Ursa

Post by Major Ursa »

As a Star Trek fan, I'm use to seeing the old franchise become new. Some have been even exceeded the original series like The Next Generation while Enterprise fared less then the origninal. What I would like to see is some new adventures of The Looney Tunes. I hope if will fae better that The Looneytics (even thought I was a good series).
Rainbow brite fan since 1984.

TheWendybird

Post by TheWendybird »

Major Ursa wrote:As a Star Trek fan, I'm use to seeing the old franchise become new. Some have been even exceeded the original series like The Next Generation while Enterprise fared less then the origninal. What I would like to see is some new adventures of The Looney Tunes. I hope if will fae better that The Looneytics (even thought I was a good series).

I want Tiny Toon Adventures back haha
*~*~Krista~*~*
Mrs. Starvoyager as of 11/22/09 :D
"Hail Stormy full of fury! Rainbow is with Thee!" :P

Major Ursa

Post by Major Ursa »

TheWendybird wrote:
Major Ursa wrote:As a Star Trek fan, I'm use to seeing the old franchise become new. Some have been even exceeded the original series like The Next Generation while Enterprise fared less then the origninal. What I would like to see is some new adventures of The Looney Tunes. I hope if will fae better that The Looneytics (even thought I was a good series).

I want Tiny Toon Adventures back haha

That along with Animaniacs and Freakazoid.
Rainbow brite fan since 1984.

Starlitefan

Post by Starlitefan »

You do know Tiny Toons and Freakazoid is on DVD, right? Image
Rainbow Brite: Starlite, quick!
Starlite: I will not wear booties!!
On-X: Better than falling down.
Starlite: [neighs in annoyance] Ooh, my poor dignity!!!

Oh, and by the way, I'm a GIRL, despite my user name... ;-D

:rbstarlite:

WishBear2001

Post by WishBear2001 »

The Care Bears were brought back in the 90's to promote eco-friendly actions, but looked quite odd.
In 2004 Care Bears go CGI for two movies
In 2007, they have less belly fat, longer eyelashes, new characters and a new movie.

This fall the "Care Power Team" will be in stores.

In 2004 Strawberry Shortcake had a makeover

In 2006 Strawberry went CGI

In 2009 Strawberryland is Berry Bitty City and the girls are fairy sized

In 2011 any characters with no fruit in their name will be removed from the series
Attachments
1980 vs. 2009
1980 vs. 2009
11_strawberryshortcake_lg.jpg (47.08 KiB) Viewed 881 times
2007 Care Bears
2007 Care Bears
agkzp_cbaboutmain.gif (34.15 KiB) Viewed 881 times
Environmental Care Bears
Environmental Care Bears
Harmony_and_Funshine_Environmental_CB.png (143.35 KiB) Viewed 883 times

TheWendybird