Rainbow Pancakes

Starvoyager

Re: Rainbow Pancakes

Post by Starvoyager »

I tried this with a couple friends in my teen years, but it didn't work out very well. Maybe it was just the wrong kind of food coloring? Anyway, while the colors looked fine in the batter, once cooked, the bright batter had turned a putrid dark color (in my experience, pancake batter turns from white to brown once cooked). It also tasted kinda gross.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Starvoyager wrote:I tried this with a couple friends in my teen years, but it didn't work out very well. Maybe it was just the wrong kind of food coloring? Anyway, while the colors looked fine in the batter, once cooked, the bright batter had turned a putrid dark color (in my experience, pancake batter turns from white to brown once cooked). It also tasted kinda gross.
I don't think there's a right kind of food coloring to use. McCormick's is the only food coloring I ever see sold around here. As I said, I did confetti and then seafoam green. My pancakes didn't look bad once cooked. Yes, they were brown, but you could clearly see the same color I'd mixed with the batter all nice and pretty. There was definitely no taste difference. What batter did you use? A from scratch recipe or something like Bisquick?
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Starvoyager

Post by Starvoyager »

Chibi Rachy wrote:I don't think there's a right kind of food coloring to use. McCormick's is the only food coloring I ever see sold around here. As I said, I did confetti and then seafoam green. My pancakes didn't look bad once cooked. Yes, they were brown, but you could clearly see the same color I'd mixed with the batter all nice and pretty. There was definitely no taste difference. What batter did you use? A from scratch recipe or something like Bisquick?
Pretty sure it was from scratch. I wasn't present when the guy started making the pancakes and showed up in the middle of it when we decided to try mixing colors. The flavor was definitely influenced by the food coloring, and I just can't fathom being able to cook food coloring and have it come out as bright as what is in those blog pictures... not in a pan anyhow.

P.S. just remembered I once used red & blue food coloring to get a purple color into vanilla icing. The flavor of that was drastically altered too.

SunSpire
Site Admin

Post by SunSpire »

These look gorgeously yummy!! Lots of sugar in them too I'm sure, lol
Starvoyager wrote:Anyway, while the colors looked fine in the batter, once cooked, the bright batter had turned a putrid dark color
Murky's favorite pancakes ;)

"SunSpire"
[html]* <a target="_blank" href="http://www.sunspire-records.com">SunSpire Records
</a>*
[/html]

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Starvoyager wrote:Pretty sure it was from scratch. I wasn't present when the guy started making the pancakes and showed up in the middle of it when we decided to try mixing colors. The flavor was definitely influenced by the food coloring, and I just can't fathom being able to cook food coloring and have it come out as bright as what is in those blog pictures... not in a pan anyhow.

P.S. just remembered I once used red & blue food coloring to get a purple color into vanilla icing. The flavor of that was drastically altered too.
o.O You must not have good luck with things relating to coloring food... I've never had issues with things tasting different after adding food coloring. I always make these pudding parfaits and use food coloring on the cool whip that gets added and that doesn't taste any different. And of course, no issues with the pancakes either.

As for the batter bit... the from scratch recipe linked in that woman's journal seems to get rave reviews on the recipe site it's part of. I still don't know how she makes them so bright like that.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire