New Rainbow Brite Cartoon!

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

I totally love the idea of evil Stormy. If she does switch sides, it'll at least give us some background as to where she came from (or so I hope) :)
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivTcjHlltJU
Ugggh... I have to say, I am extremely put off by this. The snarkyness and sarcasm... just... uggh. The humor was perfect in the old version. Had some forms of arrogance and bickering, but it didn't detract from the show. With this trailer, I just feel like they took it way too far. I feel as if many people in real life are seeming to go that "snarky" route cause they think its "cool", and anyone who doesn't like to be treated that way is "too sensitive" as opposed to the snarky people being not sensitive enough. And you wonder why so many people behave that way if its in the cartoons they watch. And the fact that its even in Rainbow Brite, something that was previously completely free of modern day snark (I don't actually classify the humor and bickering in the old version as such), just makes it feel all the worse. They are trying to do what is seen as "moving with the times", even if the times are becoming darker. And they are doing it, in the name of the rainbow and the light. Discord must be stopped.
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

Robert Teague

Post by Robert Teague »

But Starlite was always like that. Any time someone didn't praise him to his standards, he corrected them. He was just a little... gentler about it then. Nowadays you don't have to be.

But I think you might be jumping the gun a bit, considering the tiny amount of dialogue so far.
"Magnets are cool, too..." --Ruby Rose, RWBY

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

CRAZY THEORY TIME!!!

We know that the Dark Princess is a princess, but we're never shown who her parents (the King and Queen) are/were. What if her father was The King of Shadows?!?!? Maybe that's why she hates Rainbow Brite so much...maybe that's why she wants the belt...to throw it back into the No Return River (or somewhere else) so that it will be lost again!!

AND...even crazier...what if her mother was Lady Brite?? Maybe her father was once good, but something turned him evil, and they split...or worse, he killed her, and it's her spirit that is now trying to undo his evil???

This is what happens when I stay up too late for a week at a time apparently...lol :lol:

:rbline:
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Chibi Rachy wrote:I'm definitely ready to at least sate my curiosity. I'm also trying to remember that this reboot is partly for me, but mostly for new little ones. While the original cartoon is great (I didn't watch it until '09), I don't think it would have the same draw to a large audience today. It looks dated and just doesn't have the same draw. So an updated version is good, just not sure how this one will play out in the end.
Exactly - it's targeted at today's children and has to compete with the other popular cartoons of today. Some people say the original design would still work today...and perhaps it would. I know there are many kids who have seen the original thanks to their parents, and love it. But even if the artistic design were very much the same, there would be other differences. The original RB is almost too tame for today's generation - at least comparatively to other modern toons. I feel like it would still work for toddlers, but not children past the age of 5. So if they're going to have to make changes anyway, they might as well update the design as well to make it eye catching. I'm not sure how it's going to play out either, but I'm trying to stay hopeful :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Galacticatt wrote:Oooooh ! Thanks! Gosh, so that is why the speculation that Stormy may be a bad girl- since she is hanging out with those loons.

I have to admit I am not loving what they are doing with Lurky, wonder what his personality will be like?

Can't wait to see more!
Yeah, he's not my favorite either. But I feel like I need to see him move and hear him talk to really get a good feel for his character. I so can't wait for next Thursday!!
idistractedyou wrote:I'm guessing with Stormy we'll have a Nightmare Moon type scenario. Stay with us they don't appreciate you, etc. I'm sure Rainbow will have to show her that without the rain grass wouldn't grow and be green and etc.
I bet you're right! :D
Chibi Rachy wrote:I totally love the idea of evil Stormy. If she does switch sides, it'll at least give us some background as to where she came from (or so I hope)
Agreed!! That could be really interesting :D
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Robert Teague wrote:But I think you might be jumping the gun a bit, considering the tiny amount of dialogue so far.
I agree with Robert, Dialga-Brite. We've only seen a tiny peek into the new show. And the trailers are meant to hook kids with their humor. I really don't think that Rainbow will be silly all of the time. She definitely didn't sound silly when she said the line "Why are you doing this??"

I'm not sure what exactly you're labeling as snark. Can you elaborate?
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

PocusPossum

Post by PocusPossum »

If you will come back
Baby you know
you'll never do wrong

"Since You Been Gone" - Rainbow

Robert Teague

Post by Robert Teague »

And with the latest posting on Facebook, we learn a couple of things.

We get our first look at Twink, except his name is now "Mr. Glitter". I can see this working, as it avoids the meaning of "twink" as it has changed in the last 30 years.

I'm not sure I approve of the idea he no longer speaks English. Have to wait and see how it's used.

It's confirmed that the boy IS Brian, and he will be a main character and not just a guest star.

The Princess is now the main villain, leaving Murky and Lurky as henchmen. They shoud be used to that, as they worked for the King of Shadows.
"Magnets are cool, too..." --Ruby Rose, RWBY

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Part of me wants to rewrite Lost Storms, but part of me knows I haven't really written much in the past 2 years.

Well today we know that Twink was renamed to Mr. Glitters and only squeaks now, instead of talking. We all knew he would be renamed, but I don't like that he no longer talks. That's what made him special. But ah, well.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire