New Rainbow Brite Cartoon!

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

BabyDoll wrote:Thanks for the link! Now I'm VERY interested to see the Color Kid redesigns.
I don't know if you're on Facebook or Twitter, but they're posting info there pretty often:

https://www.facebook.com/Rainbowbrite
https://twitter.com/briteisback

In fact, they just posted Red Butler's redesign this evening :D
Nothing may ever top the original toon in my mind and the old toys are very dear to my heart, but seeing a new generation getting a chance to bond with Rainbow Brite like they have with My Little Pony, Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake is really encouraging to me. I hated to think that the 2010 failboot was going to be the last word on her.
I don't expect that anything can top the original toon for us die-hard fans :) But I completely agree that it's great to see a new generation having the opportunity to fall in love with her too. And I'm SO glad that the 2009 design wasn't the last image we were left with!!
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Robert Teague

Post by Robert Teague »

Hi, all! I'm not a new member here, but it's been years since I posted. I've never liked the forum format, but even with the new series announcement, the mailing list is still inactive. So if I want to talk about RB, I have to come here.

I'm very much liking what I see! The original cast is back, updated, but not TOO much. I note that Lala has been added on Facebook now.

Starlite... we haven't seen enough of him to know if his vanity has been toned down, but I hope not; it's an important part of his character. He was boastful, but always delivered.

The Color Castle has been spread out, but is still inside a moat. I note the planet has rings now; I hope the writers will go into that at some point.

The Dark Princess as a major antagonist is a good twist.

If Stormy is a villain now, that's fine; they need someone competent on the gloomy side.

If Tickled Pink is back, I really hope the controversy about what she does gets settled.

Personally I could do without Murky's mom; she was such a cliche!

I really want to find out if there will be any continuity from the old series (or for that matter, in the new series). But so far the evidence says no.

Have to go, but I'll be back!

Maki

Post by Maki »

Robert Teague wrote:If Stormy is a villain now, that's fine; they need someone competent on the gloomy side.
Hi Robert, welcome to the forums.

I'd hate too see Stormy as a villain. I prefer the way she was.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Robert Teague wrote:Hi, all! I'm not a new member here, but it's been years since I posted. I've never liked the forum format, but even with the new series announcement, the mailing list is still inactive. So if I want to talk about RB, I have to come here.
Hi Robert!! *hugs* :D
Indeed, it seems as though the mailing list has breathed its last breath. Perhaps it's best to just keep as an archive of the early fandom instead of trying to revive it. Because I don't think anything will at this point.
I'm very much liking what I see! The original cast is back, updated, but not TOO much.
Same here!! They could have gone a completely different direction with the cast, but I'm SO glad they're keeping the design so similar to the original - just updated.
I note the planet has rings now; I hope the writers will go into that at some point.
Isn't that COOL?? I truly love that added touch :) Makes me wonder why Rainbow Land never had those in the original! ;)
The Dark Princess as a major antagonist is a good twist.
If Stormy is a villain now, that's fine; they need someone competent on the gloomy side.
I wonder if the new Murky and Lurky will be as bumbling as the originals, or if they'll actually be good at being bad this time around. Their new design looks much more evil to me, but we haven't seen them move or heard them speak yet. I like the Dark Princess and Stormy twists too.
If Tickled Pink is back, I really hope the controversy about what she does gets settled.
That would be nice, wouldn't it? :)
Personally I could do without Murky's mom; she was such a cliche!
As much as I like that episode (I know Renee hates it...lol), I agree. I don't think she needs to be in the new one.
I really want to find out if there will be any continuity from the old series (or for that matter, in the new series). But so far the evidence says no.
As far as I can tell, it's a reboot in the true sense, so it will have elements from the original, but will retell the story anew. But as long as it doesn't contradict the original (at least not too much), perhaps there won't be too many canon issues. At least I hope ;)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Maki wrote:I'd hate too see Stormy as a villain. I prefer the way she was.
I'm hoping that if she is a villain, she'll eventually turn good. It would be a cool origin story for her :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Robert Teague

Post by Robert Teague »

Well... she was antagonistic to Rainbow in the series, and there is the new picture of her with Murky and Lurky.

I've decided I like the music playing in the trailers. Fits the new cartoon very well.

Those here who know me know I was never part of the show's target audience; I was 29 in 1984. (Yes, it's weird, but I like what I like, and am not afraid to admit it.)

One would think I'd dislike the new series on general principles, but I don't. This version feels right to me; thus far the producers have hit the right balance of old and new.
"Magnets are cool, too..." --Ruby Rose, RWBY

Robert Teague

Post by Robert Teague »

Hey, Katy! I think your replies were posted while I was still writing mine.

Maybe we should revive the old Rainbowland Science Team! :lol: At the time of the old series, only Saturn was known to have rings. Now we know all four gas giants do. There's no particular reason for an earthlike planet not to have them, but it might make travel hazardous.

Maybe it's Moonglo's work!
"Magnets are cool, too..." --Ruby Rose, RWBY

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Robert Teague wrote:I've decided I like the music playing in the trailers. Fits the new cartoon very well.
Me too!! I can't wait to hear more :D
One would think I'd dislike the new series on general principles, but I don't. This version feels right to me; thus far the producers have hit the right balance of old and new.
It feels right to me as well :) And I am SO pleased that the individuals working on the show are paying attention to, and even contacting fans. But more on that another time ;)
Hey, Katy! I think your replies were posted while I was still writing mine.
We're on the same rainbow wavelength, as usual :)
Maybe we should revive the old Rainbowland Science Team! :lol: At the time of the old series, only Saturn was known to have rings. Now we know all four gas giants do. There's no particular reason for an earthlike planet not to have them, but it might make travel hazardous.
Maybe it's Moonglo's work!
Oh please do revive the team!! I always loved reading all of your thoughts on how things worked (or could work), even if I wouldn't consider myself a science nerd. I at least appreciate science very much :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Been lurking for a couple of weeks... long time since I was here last! Anyway, my mom was the first one to link me to the news of the new cartoon being released. It should be interesting to see, nonetheless. I prefer these redesigns to the 2010 version. Didn't much like the more grown-up look of those. Not sure that I'm completely fond of the new personalities for Rainbow or Starlite though.

I do like that Stormy will be in the show in some form, and I would love to see her back story. I would love to see her start with Murky and Lurky first. It reminded me of the fanfic series I did on her backstory that had her starting with them and then changing sides in the end. If we do get more competent villains this time around, all the better.

Will definitely watch the show though, and a month subscription to Feeln is pretty cheap so it won't be too hard to watch the show at least.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

idistractedyou

Post by idistractedyou »

I do have to say thus far my only issue is the series being on a subscription based service. I suppose it makes sense given that Hallmark's own channel does not have a dedicated children's programming block and to my knowledge the Hub network is no more. A rainbow Brite cartoon would be a big transition from Golden Girls or the Waltons reruns.

I am enjoying most of the redesigns while they are keeping true to the original. The only one I am not fully on board with is that of Shy Violet. I am not against the inclusion of an Asian-esque character but the fact that it is "The brainy one" bothers me somewhat. I do wonder if the surprise character will be Moonglow, Tickled Pink, or just perhaps a promo image of Stormy? (Or maybe the Dark Princess but I think that reveal will be saved for later.) Or perhaps full body shots of Murky and Lurky?

I do wonder if in the reboot they drop mention of Rainbow and the kids being ancient like in the Monstromurk Menace? Or perhaps drop hints/references that the Rainbow Brite we knew was a former color belt wearer?