New Rainbow Brite Cartoon!

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
BabyDoll

Post by BabyDoll »

As soon as I saw it I rushed here to see if anyone had posted the vid yet. I like it! It's different than the old 'toon, of course, but I like the attitude already from this brief little clip. I hope that all the old color kids come back eventually.

I also hope for tons of dolls. :P

idistractedyou

Post by idistractedyou »

At first my reaction was one of irritation at the dialogue. (Not the animation style which is very energetic and colorful more in pace with modern animation.) When it comes to stuff from my childhood I always take a moment and say I am not the target audience anymore. Though Starlite referring to himself as a verbose stallion made me chuckle.

I do think one of the things the reboot(s) are doing correctly is giving the Dark Princess a more prominent role. Showing Rainbow having an adversary who is equal in power or at least competent can create some interesting stories. The trailer makes the series look like it will be fun but action packed. If they take hints from MLPFIM they can still have just fun episodes and larger action driven episodes as well. I am excited for it's premiere in November and will be watching. BTW did anyone catch the glimpse of Murky's haunt in the pits in the background?

ShieldTheOriginal

Post by ShieldTheOriginal »

The new cartoon is horrible! The animation is amateur, lazy garbage and they changed the characters' personalities. Rainbow Brite is now an air headed teenager and Starlite is a flamboyant male model wannabe instead of the vain but noble horse he was in the original. I'm furious, not just because this is how Rainbow Brite will now be remembered, but also because little girls tend to behave like the characters they see on TV. So why do cartoons always have these obnoxious, dumb valley girls as the main character? It's disgusting what we are turning the next generation into. Does anyone else feel passionately about stopping this remake? Any ideas about how to go about doing it?

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

I love that Molly Ringwold is going to be the Dark Princess- the way they drew Rainbow and Starlite isn't maybe the way I would have hoped for... but it isn't terrible. Certainly WAAAAAAAAAYYYY 1000X better than the last rebooted look.

I hope the cartoon is successful and there is lots of merch and new dolls! Whoooooo!!

BabyDoll

Post by BabyDoll »

I know nothing about this network it's going to be airing on, though. Will it be available to watch on youtube? Anyone have any information about that?

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

BabyDoll wrote:I know nothing about this network it's going to be airing on, though. Will it be available to watch on youtube? Anyone have any information about that?
From what I could tell, it is exclusively streemed online through feeln.com (kind of like a netflix thing) https://www.feeln.com/landing/adwords?p ... MgodIjoAlg

I hope someone uploads it to youtube at some point...

Moonxtal

Post by Moonxtal »

Wow ok saw the new trailer and HAD to come back to this message board I haunted a long while back ^^;

My first reaction went from 'oh no'... to 'OH GOD NO!' ...to 'ehhhh'... to HAHAHA hey that was cool, I might like this!

Pro's:
It's animated WAYYYYYY better that that reboot a few years back, and she looks more kiddy than teeny bopper (i.e. she doesn't have boobs or an hourglass figure) that's a plus!

it looks high energy and fun!

Her outfit/look is more or less the same with minor differences similar hair style, similar dress/boots etc.

I actually like the style of character animation, easier for a more ranged emotion. the first reboot looked very stilted and 'cut and paste'. here, she has a range of emotions that are very 'animated' (sorry for the pun)

the line where she was asking for something cute and starlight said that there was nothing cuter than two sea otters holding hands actually made me LOL!

her powers look awesome!

possible princess/murky/lurky/the pits etc. the 'villain' looks legit like a threat

rainbowland looks the same or similar as does Brian, and the key

Cons:

*sigh* the animation is still that 'moving construction paper' style that i'm not a huge fan of. with MLP they used flash but they at least TRIED to make it look like hand drawn cels... this... eh... this looks kind of lazy >3>

Rainbows personality.... ooohhh... where to begin... now, to be fair we only see like 20 seconds of it and the few things they highlight is the VERY teenager 'Vally girl' slang and 'tude. her first words are "Oh mah bows, I ~totally~ forgot to introduce myself...~ruuuude~" and I cringed...hard. now on another character that personality would be fine but it's one we've seen sooooooo many times =_=
I'm all for giving rainbow a stronger personality, because the original was a little...flat (ducks things thrown at her by other members of the forum). sure she had a stubborn 'never say die' side, but her main characterization was 'little girl' which by today's standards is flavorless, but they kind of went full steam in the opposite direction by giving her a trite over used teenager personality with the slang to boot.
but I won't let it deter me, they may have just highlighted the worst and the actual show may only have that sprinkled in. who knows.

starlight... his personality is some what intact but again they kind of spun it a little. instead of the more...hmmm... dainty, vain, somewhat over confident, yet noble steed, he's more of the dudebro variety of, vain, somewhat over confident steed... (I've yet to see noble but hey, the trailer was only a min long!)
also not keen on his 'look.' the bridge of his nose curves out which I think looks a little weird and his proportions look...off... like he looks thick and chunky in weird areas...yet his knees are knobby i dunno nitpick-y things... :P

i dunno I kind of would liked rainbows voice to be higher pitched...younger sounding like an actual little girl.

over all the pros out weigh the cons for me... I'm gonna give it a shot and hopefully I'll like it ^^ only time will tell. if not I'll pan it off like the last reboot. *shudders thinking about the last reboot*

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

Yeah, I was thinking about pros and cons too! I like your list- I have one too :D

* Rainbow is wearing her outfit, and the storyline appears to be similar to to original idea (there is clearly a Rainbow Brite, Brian, Dark Princess, Twink, Starlite, and who knows who else)
* The animation is pretty cute. It does look like MLP style. Rainbow is pretty cute.
* If they are copying the MLP style (and it kind of looks like they are) the story line is probably going to be halfway decent.
* The characters are cute enough that I DEFINITELY want the toys- (if there are going to be any??)

Less thrilled about
* Rainbow's valley girl slang? Although what we saw was a super short peek so maybe that didn't reflect her personality very accurately.
* I don't love that Starlite is no longer beautiful. I LOOOOOVED the way they originally drew Starlite- I will be honest, it was my favorite part of the cartoon. I don't love Starlite as that super buff MLP whose name escapes me. I actually loved his original queenie prissy attitude. He was seriously so gay. The new Starlite is not cute, and .... well, maybe I'll like him better as things progress.
* I am wondering how easy it will be for any of us to see the episodes without subscribing to the Feeln thing.

I'm worried there may not be dolls or toys. The original Rainbow Brite, and cartoons like MLP are put on the air for the exclusive purpose of selling toys. However, this show appears to have been added to the feeln network, possibly to get people to join that network? SO it is not an ad. That is good in terms of story-line, but could be bad in terms of marketing. If the cartoon wasn't made to sell toys, we might not see anything more than t-shirts unless some licensee picks up the line (like Funko or someone), and they won't pick up the line unless it gets very popular. (I hope it does!!!!)

Watercolor
Admin

Post by Watercolor »

UPDATE: 10/18/2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivTcjHlltJU[/video]
Feeln's Original Trailer! Featuring Brian, Rainbow Brite, Starlite, The Dark Princess!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be4HXHgszZg[/video]
Feeln's Mini Trailer featuring: SPRITES COLOR KIDS, and FUN, Oh my!

So much fun this side of the Rainbow!

I posted this to the main part of the thread too, so you don't have to "hunt" for it.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

I'll post more tomorrow...but before I head to bed, I wanted to link ya'll to the blog post I just finished about the major concerns I've seen over the new toon:

http://blog.rainbowbrite.net/2014/10/wh ... te-do.html

Will respond more directly to each of you tomorrow :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net