News: The New Rainbow Brite Images

LadyDracoWD

Re: News: The New Rainbow Brite Images

Post by LadyDracoWD »

Watercolor wrote:
LadyDracoWD wrote:I think they might have stolen a design idea from someone on DA for the new RB pic... Unless it's the same artist or something... By the date I think this fanart was posted before they started redesigning her... Has anyone seen this: http://sykoeent.deviantart.com/art/Pret ... e-75095412
Doesn't her wand look awful similar?
I wouldn't say the "wand" was any more "borrowed" from that picture then it borrows from Anime. The wands/staffs from Cardcaptor Sakura or Sailor Moon look similar. And the "Wand"is the only thing that IS similar. The new costume looks like this one:
http://cwmodels.deviantart.com/art/Rain ... e-86840515
but that one is also based on "anime".
I think the design IS anime influenced.

The character design it self looks like the new Polly Pocket. I don't think they "stole" the design. But rather it is inspired.

These styles are what kids want right now.
I was speaking specifically about the wand. I'm sorry if I made that unclear. I didn't mean anything about the person, or what it was inspired from... I really nitpick at things I really like, and that just glared blatantly obviously to me...
I've never seen a picture of her holding a wand or anything else along those lines in any of the official images, so maybe the wand is based off of something like that from the original. I had never thought of that...

Watercolor
Admin

Post by Watercolor »

LadyDracoWD wrote:I was speaking specifically about the wand. I'm sorry if I made that unclear. I didn't mean anything about the person, or what it was inspired from... I really nitpick at things I really like, and that just glared blatantly obviously to me...
I've never seen a picture of her holding a wand or anything else along those lines in any of the official images, so maybe the wand is based off of something like that from the original. I had never thought of that...
^_^ It's cool. I am just as nitpicky. And Rainbow Brite has held several "batons" over the years, not wands. And the costumes Katy mentioned have the models holding star wands and they have been out for almost 2 years. But Rainbow's power didn't come from a wand.

In the past, they attempted to remake Rainbow Brite. In 1996, she was un-recognizable. But the market was trying to cater to being more ethnic and P.C. It BOMBED

In 2003 they tried to cater to the old school fans, duplicating the look of the dolls to a good detail. BUT it didn't really take off.

Now..they are trying to update but NOT alter as badly as they did in 1996. They are still staying true to a LOT that made her who we loved...Starlite is BEAUTIFUL. It's making me nervous!!!!! What I'm worried about...WHERE IS TWINK! No TWINK! That's not right. And I hope the Color Kids are still around. I'm still waiting for more news of if their going to launch more toys or even an animated show again!

LadyDracoWD

Post by LadyDracoWD »

Yeah... I was just trying to point out that in my opinion the two wands look too similar to be a coincidence... Unless there's been art of one like that 'officially' or the artist of that fanart is working for them on the design of the new RB, which is possible, but unlikely...

LadyDracoWD

Post by LadyDracoWD »

Anyway, indeed, Where are the sprites?!?!? I do hope they don't disappear from the new one...
And I vaguely remember when they tried to remake RB ethnically and politically correct. I am very glad it flopped then, which gives me hope that these people will learn from those mistakes and not try to do that...
If they're 'tweens' they wouldn't be called the Color Kids anymore... And Color Tweens doesn't sound right at all... >.< O.o

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

If they're 'tweens' they wouldn't be called the Color Kids anymore... And Color Tweens doesn't sound right at all... >.< O.o

Tweens, like 11-12 years old, are and can still be called kids. :)
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

OMG I'm an idiot...it's the image I've used for years for the Rainbow Brite webring...lol

So maybe that's where the idea came from?

I agree, LadyDracoWD, that the wand you linked to looks very similar to the new one. I have to imagine that the artists working on this new line have dabbled around DeviantArt for inspiration at some point. Who knows?
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

LadyDracoWD

Post by LadyDracoWD »

Rainbow Brite wrote:OMG I'm an idiot...it's the image I've used for years for the Rainbow Brite webring...lol

So maybe that's where the idea came from?

I agree, LadyDracoWD, that the wand you linked to looks very similar to the new one. I have to imagine that the artists working on this new line have dabbled around DeviantArt for inspiration at some point. Who knows?
I suppose they must have... Personally I'd be rather irritated to have a design swiped like that, with no recognition that there was external inspiration behind it at all... However it does look pretty cool, but I like the color of the fanart wand better...

Watercolor
Admin

Post by Watercolor »

To get to the bottom of things I PMed the artist on Deviantart and got the information on the design.
Date: Jan 4, 2009, 2:17:26 PM

Hello!
The Rainbow Brite staff was, in fact, inspired by Sakura's staff, but also a few other things, Sailor Moon's Scepter, and Angela's (from Spawn)staff, the one with ribbons. Actually, maybe it wasn't Angela, but one of the other Angel characters in Spawn.
and yes, I did tell him about the new designs. His name is Ryan, btw. He draws more adult images though, most are Anime.
Hope this helps! ^_^

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Thanks Watercolor :) I know very little about anime!
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I'm happy with the new rainbow brite. She's not SO completely different that the nostalgia doesn't kick in, and will please the 'older' generations. She has been changed enough, so that she is new and fresh, and will appeal to the 'newer' generations also. This makes my heart soar, because Rainbow Brite has such a special message - that the more love the better! : ) and, I adore the colors of the 'new' rainbow brite! : ) I almost like the new Starlight better than the old one.

I'm also sure that many other characters will appear as time gets closer to the launch. We have quite awhile to go before the Fall or Holiday relaunch. Which makes me itch because I want to see what the characters look like : ) But in a way, I'm also glad that they are introducing us to them slowly, it's such a wonderful 'can't wait till xmas morning' kind of feeling. I'm also kind of hoping that there will be entirely new characters that we've never seen before too. What will they look like?

: )