Rainbow Brite Monopoly

Chibi Rachy

Rainbow Brite Monopoly

Post by Chibi Rachy »

(Putting this in its own thread now that I know I want to work on it)

All right. So I have been creative. I know we've talked about monopoly and Rainbow Brite and how owning things just doesn't seem right for that version.

So I think I have a better idea.

I got it from the "Homeworkopoly" game that is used in classrooms to encourage kids to do homework. It's a bulletin board game and is played daily by the entire class. The places that are normally labeled as properties are given street names in the town or city, but nothing is owned. Instead, kids can earn things from those spaces, such as raffle tickets for a drawing.

So I got to thinking. What if instead of earning raffle tickets, the player must collect a certain amount of star sprinkles?

And that's just led from one thing to another tonight. I've still been working on sketches for the locations and such, but I've got a basic board sketch done.

The idea behind the game is that Murky and Lurky have unleashed some sort of disaster on Rainbow Land (exact plan not thought of at this point) and has managed to steal the Color Belt. Rainbow needs the help of the Color Kids (they are the playing pieces) as well as the Special Kids and other friends along the way to defeat Murky and get back her Color Belt. The Color Kids must collect a certain number of star sprinkles of each color as well as the pieces to the Color Belt to win the game.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Chibi Rachy

Game Board Layout/Explanation of Spaces

Post by Chibi Rachy »

This is the game board layout. The Color Kids' designated spaces do not match the colors on the board. I was merely using a blank template for layout.

A larger board version can be found here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/ ... me0010.jpg

Rainbow Brite Monopoly

Story/Goal of Game

Murky and Lurky have unleashed some sort of disaster on Rainbow Land (exact plan not thought of at this point) and have managed to steal the Color Belt. Rainbow needs the help of the Color Kids as well as the Special Kids and other friends along the way to defeat Murky and get back her Color Belt. The Color Kids must collect a certain number of star sprinkles of each color as well as the pieces to the Color Belt to win the game.

Playing Pieces

All of the Color Kids, including Tickled Pink (Not Stormy or Moonglo)

Space Designations

Community Chest= Star Sprinkle Pouch
Chance= Moonglo’s Wish-a-Star

Electric Company= Color Caves (Roll die; move forward that many spaces)

Water Company= Color Castle (Roll die; get 2, 4, 6 and roll again)

Railroads= Special friends – Krys, Brian, Plock, Wajah (Collect a Color Belt Piece card pertaining to that friend)

Go to Jail= Go to the Pits
In Jail/Visiting= In Pits/Visiting

Income Tax= Skydancer “Player must roll die. If 1, 3, or 5, lose next turn”
Luxury Tax= Stormy “Player must roll die and go backwards that many spaces”

Zones Spaces (It's easier to call them zones than by their proper names)

Each space has a particular value when landing on it. A Color Kid space is 3, a sprite/horse space is 2, and an item space is 1. Collect the number of star sprinkles the space designates. For example, I land on Red Butler. That means I collect 3 red star sprinkles.

Red Zone (2 spaces)

Red Butler
Romeo

Orange Zone (3 spaces)

Lala Orange
OJ
Perfume bottle

Yellow Zone (3 spaces)

Canary Yellow
Spark
Yellow ballet slippers

Green Zone (3 spaces)

Patty O’Green
Lucky
Frog

Blue Zone (3 spaces)

Buddy Blue
Champ
Dumbbell

Indigo Zone (3 spaces)

Indigo
Hammy
Book

Violet Zone (3 spaces)

Shy Violet
IQ
Beaker

Pink Zone (2 spaces)

Tickled Pink
Sunriser

This is what I have for now. I've worked on a score card system to replace the money system, but it can't be perfected until I know how long a default game takes. I'll show that later on. I'm working on the Wish-a-Star and Star Sprinkle Pouch cards today. Let me know what you think.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Regina

Re: Rainbow Brite Monopoly

Post by Regina »

Wow! This sounds and looks like a great job! I would love to play when is finished!

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Regina wrote:Wow! This sounds and looks like a great job! I would love to play when is finished!
Thanks for the comment :) I've been working on a draft for the cards which is hard to start out. What I do is take the original cards and modify the wording slightly to fight the RB-style. I hope that with a few more drafts I will have cards that will be simple and fun.

I'm now iffy with the scorecard/money system. A money system is the only way I can easily have star sprinkles given and taken away. Because there are 8 colors it's hard to do a more physical representation. I could and I'm sure I could find star beads to use or make paper ones. I'm just not certain yet

Chibi Rachy

Re: Rainbow Brite Monopoly/Collection system?

Post by Chibi Rachy »

All right, thought I'd see what others might think of this.

The scoring/money system is giving me trouble. I think I've got it figured out, but I wanted to see what others might care to comment on.

There are a few choices for the recording of collected star sprinkles:

- A paper money system just as with the other Monopoly games. 8 types of money, one for each color.
- A card where collected star sprinkles are colored in. Only problem I have with this is that unless it's dry erase, it'd be hard for players to utilize.
- A card where the outlines of stars needed are given for each color. A player would use a star shaped bead to record collected star sprinkles
- Same as the option above except instead of using beads, uses stars made on poster board and reinforced with contact paper to keep from smudging.

Out of the options I've listed, I've liked the looks of the last two, as they stick to the idea of what a star sprinkle is. Let me know any thoughts or opinions. If you have other ideas than the ones listed, please add them. I'm open to anything.

Crafty Blond

Post by Crafty Blond »

You know i have the acutal Monopoly cross stitch book. I could try to alter it to make your design.
Let your dreams fly as your soar into the sky

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Crafty Blond wrote:You know i have the acutal Monopoly cross stitch book. I could try to alter it to make your design.
What do you mean? I'm a little confused. You mean there's a cross-stitch pattern for the entire gameboard? Or logo?

Crafty Blond

Post by Crafty Blond »

For the entire game board. this book will stitch the entire board along with logo and chance and community cards.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Wow that seems like a lot of work. You don't have to do that for me. If you'd like to make your own using my board layout, you can though :)

Crafty Blond

Post by Crafty Blond »

It would be no more work than one of my bears. I'm also going to do a care bear board. So why not an rb one?