Durability

Dialga-Brite

Durability

Post by Dialga-Brite »

Just wondering, is it realistic when commissioning a custom doll to ask for it to be made just as durable to being played with as the real thing? Is that something the customizer could likely do or is that just too hard for somebody who's not the toy company? I know its a good idea of me to ask this before I ever decide to commission more custom dolls, cause Im just not the kinda person who avoids playing with their dolls. The one stormy I got wasnt put together well so Im wondering if the ones done by the more experienced and quality customizers would then be durable enough or not?
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

stormberryfairy

Durability

Post by stormberryfairy »

I don't think it's possible to make a custom that's as durable as the original toys, but that's my opinion. I don't "play" with my customs, unless you count holding them and admiring them and taking them places with me. LoL

Dialga-Brite

Durability

Post by Dialga-Brite »

well I generally do all that you mentioned plus take my dolls to bed with me. and believe me I carry them around a lot.

jazzycreations

Durability

Post by jazzycreations »

I think that the only thing that isn't as durable with the custom dolls is the repaint on the face. It can scratch off if you are rough with them. As for the clothing, all my commissions are sewn with a sewing machine. So they are pretty durable.

I've made dolls for my daughter & she's 5, she's pretty playful with them & have yet ruined anything. I mean some of the materials are satin, so they can snag if you catch them on velcro or something rough, but unless you yank the hair out on purpose or are trying to ruin her, I think normal play won't mess them up.

I have seen custom dolls that have had alot of hand sewing or gluing that can come undone, but for the most part I think they are pretty sturdy.

Tom-sprite

Durability

Post by Tom-sprite »

I guess Jazzy is the best customizer you will find Dialga ! :)
I agree with the painting of the face ... it s nearly impossible to manipulate the original and get a result which is as stressable as the original !

Dialga-Brite

Durability

Post by Dialga-Brite »

thanks jazzy, maybe I'll commission something from you in the future. It really is a shame that the stormy doll, flocked skydancer, dress up lala and rainbow lurky prototypes were never released. theyre so cool looking. :)

jazzycreations

Durability

Post by jazzycreations »

I agree, it's a shame, but at least we can make something similar to bring them to life. You know I bought the flocking from a distributor & I liked the black & purple flocking, the white stunk, it just wasn't as great, but my daughter played with a few I've made & she played with them like crazy & the flocking held up great. it's easier to be played with since I can coat it with a sealant, unlike the vinyl heads on the dolls.

Although as long as all you are doing is changing the eye color, they eyes are inset, I think the chances are that the eye color repaint would handle okay as long as you aren't scratching they eye balls. I have some extra doll head from dress up rainbow brite dolls. would you be willing to try them out for a custom? You should try. Before I moved I made a custom tickled pink doll out of a beat up canary yellow doll. I can't wait to get a pic of her. I think she's actually prettier than the original. her eyes stand out more.
Once I get all my stuff back & moved In I will have to post pictures of her.

Tom- your customs are great. You could easily make them for others. I still want to one day make the other characters from the cartoon, one day....

I wish I could figure out what paint they used, because airbrush acrylic wipes right off. I'll have to find something eventually that will work.

Tom-sprite

Durability

Post by Tom-sprite »

Hi Jazzy ! :)
Thank u ... I am a skittish person ... I loved to create some customs (especially the dark princess and Mrs Dismal were fun)
but I came to a point where I had to move on to other projects ...
I haven t got enough time for it anymore ! :-/
I love all your custome-dollies and I think you do great creative work ! :)

stormberryfairy

Durability

Post by stormberryfairy »

Customs rule! I now have a grand total of 46 Rainbow Brite customs! Unless I'm forgetting any. I'm a bit obsessed, lol. Oh, I just remembered 2 more, but they are only re-roots at this point. They need outfits still. ;)

jazzycreations

Durability

Post by jazzycreations »

Tom- Thank you! I thought I was going to have to stop making customs, but I got my hubby use to the idea of making them. At least for now. I can't stop making them, when no one else does, I would feel bad! Hope someone else comes & starts making them.
I have extra heads of dress up dolls, looking for someone who wants to try and make customs.
You are right though, the time to make them is ridiculous! But I love to make people happy with their dollies. :)

Stormberry- Lol That's great! You seriously have the biggest collection, you should have a museum one day :)