1990's characters as 80's style dolls?

Wardah

Post by Wardah »

Has anyone ever attempted to do the Color Crew as 80's style dolls with yarn hair? I would imagine 80's Indigo would be good for Ebony and any white doll could be Rit dyed (has anyone ever dyed a doll before?) tan for Amber and 90's Indigo's skin tone.

jazzycreations

Post by jazzycreations »

I know I tryed to dye & researched it. oil paint was what I found for vinyl, but they said over time it can discolor or looked bruised in areas. I tried airbrush paints too, but nothing was permanent, even with primers.
so I decided to go with acrylic paint. it can still come off,( if you pick it off or scratch if off) but much more sturdy. that's how I made my 18'' indigo doll. you can see the paint brush streaks a bit, but i still thought she was cute.

Wardah

Post by Wardah »

Couldn't you seal the paint with a matte sealer the way people that do full body repaints on My Little Ponies do?

jazzycreations

Post by jazzycreations »

I've used a matte sealer. my problem was getting the paint to stick well. once it dried if you pushed on the head the paint cracked. or flaked off. I guess there might be something that would work, but I tried several things & just decided to go with what worked best for me.

Wardah

Post by Wardah »

I recently read this on an MLP forum I am part of and since RB heads ore pretty much the same material as ponies I think this might help on any future repaints.
To prevent flaking, rough up the vinyl of your pony's head/body with sand paper so the paint has something to bond to. This is especially important for generation 1 bases as they are prone to flaking especially during the re-hair process.

For sealing, artists varnish and mod podge work fine.

jazzycreations

Post by jazzycreations »

cool. Thankx for the info. I'll have to have a try when I make another 18'' indigo then. :bg: