Rainbow Land Commission by SHA

WishBear2001

Re: Rainbow Land Commission by SHA

Post by WishBear2001 »

I think the sprite for Stormy should be named Lightning or Thunder.

Patreek

Post by Patreek »

Starvoyager wrote:Hmm... perhaps appropriate is the wrong word... ironic is better, being that the word playmate is traditionally innocent and was only later perverted when it suited someone's purposes. :p

About the comment of it being Superhero style.... what comic books have you been reading?
Yes ironic is probably a better way to put it.

I read mostly Marvel and DC though I adore the WildC.A.T.S comics as well. With DC i read JLA, Supergirl, Superman/Batman, Teen Titans, Green Lantern, Legion, as well as whatever major "event" comic is going on such as the AMAZING 52! SO good. For Marvel, I"m a big fan of Young Avengers, Uncanny X-men, New Xmen, exiles, amazing spiderman, and again most of the "event comics" like Civil War and such. These are what I read on a weekly basis anyway, lots of other random stuff is often aquired though from time to time if it looks appealing to me.

Starlight_84

Post by Starlight_84 »

It's really awesome. I just don't like how the females have short skirts and big boobs. Other than that, it's pretty awesome.

Made By: Tennyo

J3llyb3ans

Post by J3llyb3ans »

That is a most excellent picture. Imagine managing to fit all of those characters into one shot and including so much detail. As an artist, I know what a challenge it is to create something like this.

To be honest, I like the super hero-ish look. I used to read a lot of comic books back in the day. I could easily see this being the Image Comics version of Rainbow Brite. lol. It's cool to see familiar characters drawn in new and exciting ways. Imagine many different realities with many different possibilities.Image

Buddy Blue

Post by Buddy Blue »

I don´t want to attack anyone or anyones opinion in particular with this, It´s just my kind of general thought about all of this discussion and I hope you don´t misunderstand what I´m trying to say ;)):

Hm...I don´t really understand all of this discussion about boobs and skirts. Who cares? And why? I don´t really get the point of it. To be honest, I didn’t even look at the picture as being any suggestively until I read the critics. I guess most of the “sexy” thoughs are in your minds, not on the picture.
I could understand if you said “I don´t like the drawing itself”, or “I don´t like style”, or “I don´t like grown-up-rainbow-kid-pictures at all”, but complaining about boobs and short skirts?

To go one step further to explain what I mean: Even if they would have been portraied totally naked didn´t necessaraly have to mean it was a provocatively or naughty picture. There could still be a totally innocent look and feel about it….unless you yourself interpret it in another way.

But on the other hand: I love everything that provocates (I still think this pic wasn´t meant that way), because it makes people think. Open your mind :) Smiling is more fun than complaining, isn´t it? :))
You think the only people who are people
Are the people who look and think like you
But if you walk the footsteps of a stranger
You'll learn things you never knew you never knew (from Pocahontas :)

J3llyb3ans

Post by J3llyb3ans »

Buddy Blue wrote:I don´t want to attack anyone or anyones opinion in particular with this, It´s just my kind of general thought about all of this discussion and I hope you don´t misunderstand what I´m trying to say ;)):

Hm...I don´t really understand all of this discussion about boobs and skirts. Who cares? And why? I don´t really get the point of it. To be honest, I didn’t even look at the picture as being any suggestively until I read the critics. I guess most of the “sexy” thoughs are in your minds, not on the picture.
I could understand if you said “I don´t like the drawing itself”, or “I don´t like style”, or “I don´t like grown-up-rainbow-kid-pictures at all”, but complaining about boobs and short skirts?

To go one step further to explain what I mean: Even if they would have been portraied totally naked didn´t necessaraly have to mean it was a provocatively or naughty picture. There could still be a totally innocent look and feel about it….unless you yourself interpret it in another way.

But on the other hand: I love everything that provocates (I still think this pic wasn´t meant that way), because it makes people think. Open your mind :) Smiling is more fun than complaining, isn´t it? :))
I totally agree. :)

Buddy Blue

Post by Buddy Blue »

Well, I love that kid´s stuff from the 80s, the toys, the TV-series, the comics - but I´m always open for alternatives. And playing around with your imagination is such a great thing, don´t you think?

Well, maybe I give rein to my imagination a little too much, but wouldn´t it be absolutely great to see a grown-up-RB tv-series or movie? (I mean, the 80s kids playing with RB back then are grown up now, why shouldn´t RB herself grow up too?)

Maybe something like a mash-up between Rainbow Brite, Elfen Lied (btw. did anyone see the series? It´s amazing!) and the recent DC-Animated Movies (like Wonder Woman etc.). I would really love that :)

But not only Rainbow Brite would be nice to see growing up: A Masters of the Universe Movie in the style of the Lord of the Rings movies, or a Princess of Power Movie in X-Men style - how great would that be?

J3llyb3ans

Post by J3llyb3ans »

I've always liked the idea of favorite childhood cartoons growing up as well. However, I do think some concepts work better with some shows than others.

If I were to imagine the adventures of an adult Rainbow Brite I would approach it in a rather light and fun direction. I like the idea of keeping the fun and cheerful side of the show intact while making it more mature. The show could be funny, intelligent, and a little risque at the same time if done the way I imagine it could be. Maybe add in some strong shoujo ai elements. :) Of course, this is just the way I'd like to see it done.

I could understand action shows being brought back in a more dark and serious way, but I don't think I'd like to see Rainbow go in that direction. Just a personal preference.

Buddy Blue

Post by Buddy Blue »

Hi, can you explain to me what "shoujo ai" means? It has something do do with japanese anime-stuff, does it?

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Buddy Blue wrote:Hi, can you explain to me what "shoujo ai" means? It has something do do with japanese anime-stuff, does it?
Indeed. Shoujo comics are meant for girls, while shonen is meant for boys. Shoujo ai means girl love pretty much while shonen ai is boy love.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire