Rainbow Brite Redesign Challenge

Patreek

Rainbow Brite Redesign Challenge

Post by Patreek »

Well with the news that playmates will be making new redesigned toys I thought this would be a fun thing for us to do and maybe liven up the place. basically draw what you think their redesign should look like, or if you like what you think it will look like... i don't concider those two things to be the same. OK have at it. :-) We'll start with Rainbow Brite herself

Cypher

Re: Rainbow Brite Redesign Challenge

Post by Cypher »

Hey! What an awesome idea! How come no one's risen to the bait yet? :P I was busy with grad school apps so I just saw this...not terribly good at drawing, but I'll see if I can't draw one. A suggestion: maybe we can post pictures of already existing dolls that we think might be able to fit the mold. That might get more people posting because I have a feeling everyone's daunted by the "drawing" aspect.
If you're going to steal a star, make sure there are no planets involved.

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

As far as the *should* aspect goes, here's a doll that I think fits the mold:

Get what I'm saying? They should stick to the design of the vintage dolls! :)

Yup, I luv my moonglo.
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

It would be great if they looked just like the old ones, but judging from the logo I think they'll make them more thin and long-limbed; this is usually how dolls are made these days to make them look more grown-up and attractive, even though I think the baby-like vintage dolls are fine the way they were. The new redesign might look something like these cuties, except larger and maybe less painfully thin:

~Baby~Dragonfly~

Post by ~Baby~Dragonfly~ »

Those are adorable Cypher , did you do those?
"Everything Happens For A Reason"
~Baby~Dragonfly~

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

To ~Baby~Dragonfly~:

No, I didn't do them myself. ;) These pics are of the real dolls as you see them in the box. They're called Dream Dancers (with the Sky Dancers label on them) and they came out about...hmm...four years ago, from Play Along Toys. If you ever shopped at Wal Mart, K-Mart or Target, you may have seen them on the shelves. Few people know about them, but they were affordable and extremely well made for such a cheap doll: durable, their hair never gets frizzy even after teasing (!), fully articulated limbs, etc. Ever since Sky Dancers were recalled, these also disappeared off the shelves, but they're perfectly safe. Sky Dancers were pulled because they caused extreme injury by flying at high speeds in upredictable directions, but the spinoff Dream Dancers don't fly at all so they're good. I suspect the company stopped making them just because they had the Sky Dancers label attached to them. They can still be found on ebay and Amazon. :)

Patreek

Post by Patreek »

Yep customs are welcome as redesigns, though they should be done by the person entering them. So pictures or customs. What ever you want. If people are interested We can just kick it off in this thread with Rainbow Brite. I'll give it three weeks, and then we'll take the entries posted and vote on which we like best and then select the next character to 'redesign'