Rainbow Brite Board Games

Dialga-Brite

Re: Rainbow Brite Board Games

Post by Dialga-Brite »

FanChan wrote:
Major Ursa wrote:I wonder if the horses can subsitute the railroads in this version?
That's an idea. But I believe the Railroads were another property you could own, which would thus be translated into another property to keep colourful. It could be reworked a certain way. It is rather convenient that there are four railroads and four horses...
You could own the horses, so then you could ride them, thus being able to go farther/faster/spread more color.
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

Starvoyager

Post by Starvoyager »

Dialga-Brite wrote:
FanChan wrote:
Major Ursa wrote:I wonder if the horses can subsitute the railroads in this version?
That's an idea. But I believe the Railroads were another property you could own, which would thus be translated into another property to keep colourful. It could be reworked a certain way. It is rather convenient that there are four railroads and four horses...
You could own the horses, so then you could ride them, thus being able to go farther/faster/spread more color.
So... ownership of a "railroad" would do what exactly, add to your dice rolls? This is already entering the realm of RPG-type games, with items giving your character stat-mods.

Personally I think monopoly, even with changing out cash for star sprinkles, is far too capitalistic. That game simulates one of the darkest aspects of human society. Trying to re-image that onto Rainbowland seems pretty impractical. The best thing I suppose would be to make it a game about toy collecting.

Example: Moonglo and Stormy get to be Boardwalk/Parkplace because they're by far the rarest (and one we don't know if it ever even existed).

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

So... ownership of a "railroad" would do what exactly, add to your dice rolls? This is already entering the realm of RPG-type games, with items giving your character stat-mods.
No that's not what I meant. Basically buying them wouldn't actually have an effect in the game, but it would be the reason for buying them, if you know what I mean.
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

WishBear2001

Post by WishBear2001 »

These are cute!

*C9*

Post by *C9* »

I already made an RB monopoly back when I was like 12 if i can find it I will post a pic.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

All right. So I have been creative. I know we've talked about monopoly and Rainbow Brite and how owning things just doesn't seem right for that version.

So I think I have a better idea.

I got it from the "Homeworkopoly" game that is used in classrooms to encourage kids to do homework. It's a bulletin board game and is played daily by the entire class. The places that are normally labeled as properties are given street names in the town or city, but nothing is owned. Instead, kids can earn things from those spaces, such as raffle tickets for a drawing.

So I got to thinking. What if instead of earning raffle tickets, the player must collect a certain amount of star sprinkles?

And that's just led from one thing to another tonight. I've still been working on sketches for the locations and such, but I've got a basic board sketch done.

The idea behind the game is that Murky and Lurky have unleashed some sort of disaster on Rainbow Land (exact plan not thought of at this point) and has managed to steal the Color Belt. Rainbow needs the help of the Color Kids (they are the playing pieces) as well as the Special Kids and other friends along the way to defeat Murky and get back her Color Belt. The Color Kids must collect a certain number of star sprinkles of each color as well as the pieces to the Color Belt to win the game.

I don't want to go into detail too much yet until I've got some more solid ideas. I really like this one though and may end up designing the game if I can.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

WishBear2001

Post by WishBear2001 »

I was thinking about a Checkers game similar to the early 2000's CB one. But instead of characters standing/sitting on clouds, there would be stars. It would be drab, dingy stars under Murky, Lurky, Glitterbots and Evil Princess and rainbow-striped stars under Color/Special Kids and friends.