Rainbow Brite and Color Kids

Tom-sprite

Post by Tom-sprite »

I altered the eyes of rainbow and Lala a little bit ...
just want to show you what I mean with the lines I wrote about the eyes. ;-)

I know ... its always a matter of taste and what one wants to express. :-D ^^

I hope you don t mind that I modified your picture in order to describe what I mean.

By the way I love how the hands and feet with shoes are drawn. :-)
Attachments
rainbow and lala - altered eyes.jpg
rainbow and lala - altered eyes.jpg (220.06 KiB) Viewed 899 times

cwmodels

Post by cwmodels »

Tom-sprite wrote:I altered the eyes of rainbow and Lala a little bit ...

I hope you don t mind that I modified your picture in order to describe what I mean.
Be my guest. We would love it if other people take these designs and render with more with shadings or redraw them with their own art style. We did them for ourselves (as a challenge and for the fun of it) but if others like them or want to use them... that would be fantastic!
By the way I love how the hands and feet with shoes are drawn. :-)
My friend Alpha2 is a good artist with his own unique style. That's why I collaborated with him on this project.

Tom-sprite

Post by Tom-sprite »

I prove you right ... Alpha2 has an interesting style! :-D

I guess I d love to play a little with your redesigns ... maybe I add some shading,highlights and some more effects when I have some free time left ! :lol:

Tom-sprite

Post by Tom-sprite »

I tried to pimp rainbow a little bit more with some mild shading,highlights and decoration !
It was fun to just perform some effects ! :lol:

Maybe I try some more but of course only if you like it a little bit ! ^^
Attachments
Rainbow cwmodels - mild shading and effects Tomsprite.jpg
Rainbow cwmodels - mild shading and effects Tomsprite.jpg (190.87 KiB) Viewed 887 times

cwmodels

Post by cwmodels »

Tom-sprite wrote:Maybe I try some more but of course only if you like it a little bit ! ^^
Looks good. Feel free to do as you like!

Tom-sprite

Post by Tom-sprite »

I also added some effects for Red,Lala and Canary ! :-D

I can do the rest too if you like ... would be a Trio collaboration then ! ;-) ^^

I wrote you a PM ...
Attachments
cwmodels-artwork 50 % - effects Tom-sprite.jpg
cwmodels-artwork 50 % - effects Tom-sprite.jpg (241.26 KiB) Viewed 874 times

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

Tom-sprite wrote:I tried to pimp rainbow a little bit more with some mild shading,highlights and decoration !
It was fun to just perform some effects ! :lol:

Maybe I try some more but of course only if you like it a little bit ! ^^

That's nice, Tom.

I prefer the original eye color but the lack of pupils sort of spooked me out, like she was in a science fiction or something. The star highlights are a very nice addition.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Tom-sprite

Post by Tom-sprite »

That's nice, Tom.

I prefer the original eye color but the lack of pupils sort of spooked me out, like she was in a science fiction or something. The star highlights are a very nice addition.
Thanks Blondine !

Mhhh ... I guess it s somehow a matter of taste with the eye-colour. ;)
I personally prefer it when the complete area of the iris isn t too bright ...
especially the upper area of the iris ...
when one adds some more shadow there one can avoid a cold visual appeal and also an uneasy gaze ...
(RB-dollies also have this shady part of the iris cause the designers arranged the quite big darker pupils of the dollies in the upper part of the iris ...
original Wisp/Rainbow seems to have powerful blue eyes
the cartoon-Rainbow has vibrant cobalt blue eyes with black pupil)
Mangakas often use the version without pupil when they want to express
obsession or a hazy mental state of a char.
I made a third version of Rainbow s eyes(it s version 2 in the middle on the pic) ... a light blue one yet with pupil and a little shade ... although it s not really Rainbow s original eye-colour ! ;-)

The star-highlights can be added very quickly ... no big effort ...
I like them too ... I like glittering things ! :lol:
Attachments
various eyes rainbow.jpg
various eyes rainbow.jpg (111.15 KiB) Viewed 869 times

cwmodels

Post by cwmodels »

Hi Tom, let me answer your pm here since the question is the same as above:

Since you are doing the work on adding effects there is no reason why you shouldn't add your logo onto the art. Your addition of all the extra detailing is great in terms of making them more fancy and doll like. I think that is fine with fans who prefers Rainbow Brite characters to be more in that style. So go for it and thank you for your effort.

Here is a factory I want to bring up just so you know what we were shooting for. Me and Alpha2 always saw the property as a much darker series, these redesigns are done with simple and minimum details so the characters are to have more guy-appeal at the same time. Yes, we wanted the designs to look cute, but also with the possibility to crossover into something more serious as well.

The original cartoon had some very dark elements and interesting villains, it was also one of the very few doll toys which did release the villains as part of the line-up. That was one of the major appeal to me.

Tom-sprite

Post by Tom-sprite »

Hi ! :)

I just finished the rest of the chars by now ! ^^
It was a lot of fun ... yeah ... I guess I wanted to add some extra-beauty to your redesigns ... your idea of thinking I want to turn the chars into doll-lool-alikes really isn t so wrong ! :-))) :lol:
I think a lot of people here are dolly-fans ! ^^
I finished my work and if you like I can connect the two parts , add my signum
and send you the new version ... you could add it to your DA-account as a alternative version of this redesign project or whatever else you wanna do with it.
Would be cool if you could link the finished new version so the users of this forum are able to take a look at it ... I myself do not use art-sharing sites or online-photobuckets ! ;-) You would really rejoice me ! ^^

No prob regarding my effort ... it was a lot of fun and a welcome change !
I liked your collab-designs ...
I guess I also have a lot of other ideas how one could turn these designs darker ... I could try this out additionally sometime ! :-)))))

I prove you right .... RB had some really dark elements too ... especially at the beginning of the story !

Okidoki ... so here is part two of my effect-project ! ;-)
Attachments
cwmodels-artwork 50 % 2nd part - effects Tom-sprite -.jpg
cwmodels-artwork 50 % 2nd part - effects Tom-sprite -.jpg (168.29 KiB) Viewed 862 times