Stormy

Clinozoisite

Stormy

Post by Clinozoisite »

While I am still not 100% sure that she is the "real deal", I am almost certain that this Stormy is legit. I bought her awhile back online and have since seen one other identical doll (owned by a British collector).

My doll: Image
(my doll has either replaced or refurbished lightning bolt decals)

The British doll:

CLICK ON THE THUMBNAILS FOR A LINK TO A LARGER IMAGE

What do people think?

Dialga-Brite

Re: Stormy

Post by Dialga-Brite »

I thought the only stormy that existed were customs? I highly doubt it's not a custom but if it's not a custom then.... I WANT ONE!!!!
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

SunSpire
Site Admin

Post by SunSpire »

It looks like a professionally, custom made stormy doll to me based on tickled pink. From my understanding, the real stormy has never made it onto store shelves. See also galacticatt's ebay profile about Rainbow Brite dolls:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Rainbow-Brite-D ... 0003812605

Not sure where she got all that info from :)

"SunSpire"
[html]* <a target="_blank" href="http://www.sunspire-records.com">SunSpire Records
</a>*
[/html]

Bunny

Post by Bunny »

That is a really well done custom! She looks like she could very well be the real deal she is done so well.
The deal with stormy is that she was only a prototype set to go into production pending test market results of moonglo and sales results of tickeled pink and dress up rainbow brite. I guess the results were not good enough to launch her even in a small market test area. She would have launched with moonglo here in the USA. There have been rumours that she was tested in Australia, but mattel confirmed years ago that she was never even tested.
There may be a few mattel made stormy dolls, which it would be awesome to see one, but I don't think we would even be able to tell who made it unless mattel signed off on its validity. I do love seeing all the amazing stormy customs out there!

Clinozoisite

Post by Clinozoisite »

Ah well. She is still one of the most adorable dolls I've seen in a long time. Whoever made her did a fantastic job -- the hair is amazing! I have never attempted to make a custom doll, but this looks like it would take a horrendous number of hours to complete.

Does anyone else have a custom made Stormy?

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

I have one, but it's not as good as that one (no offense to the creator :) ).

Allison

Post by Allison »

I think I might have made your Stormy doll. The picture is too small for me to tell for sure though. The one below it, (British collector) looks like one made by Kitty Brite (a former member). Do your lightening bolts on the boots have a velvet texture on the back? If so, she's probably one of mine. I don't have time to make them anymore, but used to sell them privately several years ago so it's possible one ended up on ebay. If she's not one of mine, she could be one of Babydoll's creations. She does an absolutely amazing job on all her customs.

Jenny

Post by Jenny »

She does look like one of yours Allison! I think it's the hair that gives it away I don't think I've seen anyone else use that type of yarn.

The only preson that I believe truly has a prototype Stormy (they were never test-marketed) is Galaticatt, hers truly does look legit but there's no way of knowing, even taking her head off wouldnt guarantee an answer as the prototypes were probably custom-made anyway.

Here's the last custom Stormy I made:

~Jenny~

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

Jenny, your stormy is gorgeous! :)

Allison

Post by Allison »

Oops, I didn't realize at first that I could view a larger picture. Yes, after seeing that, I'm almost certain she's one of my customs. I agree with Jenny, Galacticatt's Stormy looked like a real prototype to me, but no way to be 100% certain. Details such as her hair and the comb that came with her seem to support her being real though. I remember reading awhile ago that Galacticatt accidentally left the doll in an old apartment, and when she called to reclaim it, the landlord claimed it wasn't there anymore. Does anybody know if she ever got her back? If she didn't, it's probably the biggest shame ever in the Rainbow Brite world. She probably got thrown away, or given to some little girl who has no idea of what she might have.