Knock-off?

Chibi Rachy

Knock-off?

Post by Chibi Rachy »

All right. So I got a great deal on two of the storybooks with records, both in excellent condition. The seller also threw in a sprite that looked fishy in the auction, but it was the books I wanted, not the sprite.

I'm pretty sure it's a knock-off from what I know and have seen. It's got a dark pink body with lighter pink arms and legs. It also wears a pink sleeping cap on the side of its head. Its facial features are painted on in brown. It apparently had a tush tag that was white from what I can tell, but that was cut off.

If someone can help me confirm one way or the other it'd be great. Here's some pics too:

"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Dialga-Brite

Re: Knock-off?

Post by Dialga-Brite »

Having 10 out of the 12 sprites, I can tell you that is DEFINITELY a knock off, it is NOT a real sprite. :)
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Dialga-Brite wrote:Having 10 out of the 12 sprites, I can tell you that is DEFINITELY a knock off, it is NOT a real sprite. :)
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure :) I didn't care for the sprite anyway...it was a steal even without it. I figured I'd pass the toy onto daycare.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Major Ursa

Post by Major Ursa »

It is a knock-off. It definatly dose not look like a Sprite.
Rainbow brite fan since 1984.

FanChan

Post by FanChan »

It looks like something, though. Maybe it's something else? That is, something from some other show/franchise?
"I hope you know what you're doing, Rainbow."
"You still doubt me, after all this time?"
"I don't doubt," Krys said as he paused at the door. "I worry."

-Excerpt from my yet unnamed RB doujinshi.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

FanChan wrote:It looks like something, though. Maybe it's something else? That is, something from some other show/franchise?
I dunno. It could have been made to simply be a knock-off, just as toys have those today. At any rate, the little ones won't care so they can have it... it can be loved... and sucked on..and thrown... and well... run over with dump trucks?

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

FanChan wrote:It looks like something, though. Maybe it's something else? That is, something from some other show/franchise?

Nah, I think it's a knock-off, made to look like a sprite. It looks just enough like one for me to come to that conclusion. Also, I once saw a fake rb website, and I think something like this might've been shown on there.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Dialga-Brite wrote:

Nah, I think it's a knock-off, made to look like a sprite. It looks just enough like one for me to come to that conclusion. Also, I once saw a fake rb website, and I think something like this might've been shown on there.
I think it'd be interesting to see that fake website. Any idea if it still exists? I'd agree it was a knock-off, but I wonder how hard it was to sell knock-offs back then...today there's the internet and ebay to do so...

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

http://www.rainbowbrite.tv/fake.htm

the purple one at the very bottom looks just like it, with the hat and all.

Also, my favorite fake on that website, is the doll with moonglo colored hair.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Yes, I definitely see the similarities between my sprite and some of the ones on that site. I can see why it'd be easy to mistake the sprites, but those dolls...some are kinda creepy or something.