new prototypes & info about Stormy

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

Oh that's Dallas! Image I should have known that- I had "Midnight" Also 1980 thereabouts. Same body mold. Image I called him Black Beauty though- hehe

Hard-body/molded Starlite had the "Dallas" mold too. It might be hard to see because his feet are in the box.
Image The hard-body/molded BLACK skydancer/thunder also had that mold-

But then the molded PURPLE Skydancer- had the same mold as Sunriser- (outstretched legs) Image which was evidently the mold that Mattel used throughout the late 80s and 90s (maybe later) Since the Skydancer prototypes were made both ways, I guess 1986 was the year they decided to switch :)

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

That Dallas horse must have been made for the adult collector market. I remember watching that show way back when and I really can't imagine that it would have been a favorite of young girls.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

BabyDoll

Post by BabyDoll »

I got Dallas when I was four years old. She had an insane amount of parts including the saddle, stirrups and bridle, because each part was a separate rubber part that hooked together. There wasn't really an 'adult collector market' back then, but she was one of the most accessory-intensive toys I ever had.

Thanks so much for the pics, Galacticatt. That clears up all of my confusion!

I want that hardbodied Starlite so bad...

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

I think there have been adult Barbie collectors out there since 1959 when she was first launched. I could be wrong, but I think she is one of the most collectable toy lines that started during my lifetime.

And the HB Starlight is also on my 'Most Wanted' list...
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

BabyDoll

Post by BabyDoll »

Oh sure, there have ALWAYS been collectors, but Mattel did not launch a dedicated adult collector line until the late 80's, such as the Bob Mackie dolls and such. Dallas was quite definitely intended for children.

daredevgirl

Post by daredevgirl »

Those are simply beautiful, I am so jealous!

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

Actually, my sister and I loved our Barbie horses. They weren't as sturdy as Breyers, but you could at least comb their hair- I liked all of the accessories too...