Ranting over the new Rainbow

Starvoyager

Re: Ranting over the new Rainbow

Post by Starvoyager »

Rainbow Brite wrote:That drawing was around before the new design was released ;)
I find that rather disturbing... and I'm not sure for whom. lol

Where'd you get your pictures btw? Hallmark doesn't even have anything about RB in their press release list for this year.

FanChan

Post by FanChan »

That picture... *twitch* Somehow my mind can't acknowledge Rainbow wearing an outfit that showcases her boobs.
"I hope you know what you're doing, Rainbow."
"You still doubt me, after all this time?"
"I don't doubt," Krys said as he paused at the door. "I worry."

-Excerpt from my yet unnamed RB doujinshi.

TheWendybird

Post by TheWendybird »

FanChan wrote:That picture... *twitch* Somehow my mind can't acknowledge Rainbow wearing an outfit that showcases her boobs.
Yeah i could always do without Rainbow Brite Boobage...totally not her hahaha Tho the pic itself is okay only for that..
*~*~Krista~*~*
Mrs. Starvoyager as of 11/22/09 :D
"Hail Stormy full of fury! Rainbow is with Thee!" :P

Starvoyager

Post by Starvoyager »

Yeah, I wasn't even really thinking about... heh, 'those'. It's nowhere near as bad as the pervy drawings on that site though. I think you get what I mean about the overall feel though. There's much better examples of what Hallmark could've done, but I just found the uncanny resemblance to Hallmark's outfit redesign too much to resist using it as a comparison.

BabyDoll

Post by BabyDoll »

I decided to visit rainbowbrite.net today on a whim. It's been a while since I've visited these forums...probably a couple of years at this point.

I was shocked and surprised to see that a new version of Rainbow Brite is being launched! I rushed over to the forums here to see if there was any other information about it besides just the press release and images.

I can see that this topic is mostly negative venting towards the appearance of the redesign, but since there were not other topics about it, I thought I would post here. The folks who may remember me from back when I posted around here more often might remember my pedigree - I have a degree in 3-d Design and did work both professionally and on the amateur level for toy design. I did work for Toy Biz (back when they existed) as well as direct sales of custom Rainbow Brite dolls to many wonderful members of the RBB community here.

I am very happy to see Rainbow Brite being redesigned and update for a modern audience. I think her design is clean and distinctive from Dora, Strawberry Shortcake, Bratz, Tinkerbell and Barbie, whom she will be competing with for shelfspace in your local toy store.

Right now is not a great time for toys. Rising production costs and the poor economy have resulted in retail stores like Target, Toys R Us and Wal-Mart to shrink their toy aisles and shy towards lower price point "sure sells," like Barbie, Batman and other easily recognizable properties. If your new toy line does not have a hook, your toys won't get shelf space at retail. Without enough retailer interest, your toy line will not be made.

This exact reason helped contribute to the death of the 2003 line, which in my opinion also suffered from trying to be an exacting replica of the original 1983 dolls in multiple iterations. There were other reasons, of course, but the bottom line always rests on how much retail space you can get for your toyline.

Playmates (I believe) also currently owns the rights to make Strawberry Shortcake, which is Rainbow Brite's closest property in terms of target audience (pre-teen "tween" girls), price point and overall ethos. If Strawberry Shortcake in her current 'reinvented' identity is selling well enough that Playmates wants to venture forward with this Rainbow Brite, then I have strong hopes for the survival of the line on it's way to retail.

Personally, I am excited to see that, instead of starting like the 2003 line with the four "safest" characters (Rainbow Brite, Patty O'Green the tomboy, Red Butler the boyboy and Canary Yellow the dancer) that they are going instead to market her with Tickled Pink and Moonglow. This means that the line will have one doll in bold primary colors, one in muted pastels and one in bright neon colors sharing shelf space with each other. What a fantastic way to catch people's eyes in the toy aisle!

And as the line goes on, IF it catches on, I am sure that Rainbow's supporting cast would be filled in, just like Strawberry Shortcake's is in her current toyline. I can't wait to see if there will be redesigns of my favorite RBB characters, Indigo and Stormy. Or maybe even new characters!

Sorry for the slight threadjacking, but that is my perspective on the line: Very hopeful.

TheWendybird

Post by TheWendybird »

Personally though I still think Strawberry Shortcake looks a lot more like her original look than this current Rainbow Brite does to hers but....*shrug* I think it's possible to update it a little without changing her TOO much...personally I just feel it's too much of a change...but that's just me.
*~*~Krista~*~*
Mrs. Starvoyager as of 11/22/09 :D
"Hail Stormy full of fury! Rainbow is with Thee!" :P

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

BabyDoll wrote:I can see that this topic is mostly negative venting towards the appearance of the redesign, but since there were not other topics about it, I thought I would post here.
There are other topics...one here:

http://sunspire-records.com/community/v ... f=31&t=133

Sometimes they're just hard to find :) I'm hopeful right along with you and happen to like the redesign.
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

I can't say anything until she's actually released, but I'm happy for now. I guess since I never collected Rainbow Brite as a kid, I don't have the same emotional attachment everyone else does. I like changes now and then because I always hope the change will come out for the better. Besides, I've seen a lot of people on the net draw Rainbow Brite as a teen and drew her that way a few times myself, and after seeing a lot of these I wondered why everyone feels compelled to draw RB in an older incarnation. Maybe it's because people want their childhood heroine to grow up with them, a reminder that growing older won't change anything. After all, do we all have such little faith in Rainbow Brite herself? Think about it for a second. Why would growing up a little change her? Wouldn't she still be as sweet as she was in her childhood, as caring of others? The company said as much when they claimed that they would honor the look of the original and position her as a role model for girls.

It seems to me that that's what most girls want out of their toys anyway. My mom says that when she was little, girls mostly played house with baby dolls. When I was a child, "house" didn't interest me that much. I preferred my Barbies, my Hasbro Little Mermaid Ariel doll, Krystal Princess, Princess of the Flowers, etc.; I mean, there were Stacy and Kelly to add to the mix, but most of these dolls were

1) In the realm of high fantasy, completely dissociated from myself and my world. Actors in a drama, characters to drive a plot. I, in a similar process to the way I write now, was an omniscient observer, orchestrating the plot but not a character in the story (one reason I don't write in first person).

2) Adult women or on the threshold of adulthood. They were decidedly feminine, they were beautiful, they embodied all the physical qualities little girls aspire to have when they grow up. Don't you worry about the shallow factor, either; smart girls will have smart heroines. Mine were always on the road, seeking adventure, doing useful things, challenging the constraints of society...the beauty, that was just an added bonus. Indulgent fantasy, if you will. The belief perhaps that everyone will see your inner beauty if you're a good person. Dolls are static objects and must display those traits symbolically, on the outside, but every child knows her doll is a good person anyway, right? (Unless you're playing the villain.)

Fact is, having mostly grown up dolls to play with, I didn't have much anxiety about growing up myself. Certainly I enjoyed the Peter Pan story a lot better than I do now, but I never had that dread of aging that the story hinges on. Change was a good thing if it brought me closer to the beauty of Ariel, who was my idol at the age of six. Too many people in this world grow out of their toys, something I find very sad. But I've also encountered a good many people on the internet who wallow in their nostalgia and only ever talk about their toys with that whiny refrain: "I miss my childhood." This is perplexing to me. I am now 23 and every year I have grown, it's brought me new experiences and new wisdom to shape my philosophy about the world. I don't collect toys and watch cartoons to deny that I have grown older. I think a healthy way to play with toys is not to deny any part of yourself, but to connect your life in an unbroken circuit, acknowledge that you are all the ages you ever were, that you're also an adult with an adult intelligence...capable of writing novels, for example.

There is still a lot of gender objectification in this world, and that's very unfortunate. If a woman is perceived as being too beautiful and paying too much attention to her appearance, let alone too "girly," she is not taken as seriously as the less girly types. I don't support the slutty bratz look, but why is it so wrong for a doll like Rainbow to have a feminine body? Should we be instilling that kind of shame into our little girls? There is nothing inherently sexual about having a big chest unless you dress inappropriately, yet when they see it on a doll, people complain. So...why not? Let's see what "tween" Rainbow looks like. Let's be comfortable with our adulthood. I think Hallmark knows what they're doing. They're catering to all the age groups at once. Most little girls nowadays like to have dolls that embody their latent femininity. Us Gen-X'ers have grown up knowing that Rainbow Brite didn't grow up with us. Isn't it fun even in the slightest to see her finally catch up to us? :)

~Marysia
If you're going to steal a star, make sure there are no planets involved.

Starvoyager

Post by Starvoyager »

BabyDoll wrote:Right now is not a great time for toys. Rising production costs and the poor economy have resulted in retail stores like Target, Toys R Us and Wal-Mart to shrink their toy aisles and shy towards lower price point "sure sells," like Barbie, Batman and other easily recognizable properties. If your new toy line does not have a hook, your toys won't get shelf space at retail. Without enough retailer interest, your toy line will not be made.

This exact reason helped contribute to the death of the 2003 line, which in my opinion also suffered from trying to be an exacting replica of the original 1983 dolls in multiple iterations. There were other reasons, of course, but the bottom line always rests on how much retail space you can get for your toyline.
Do you think the redesign is enough to boost retail interest? Do you think the redesign is this "hook" you speak of? It's very sad that they came to the conclusion that a superficial change would make all the difference in selling RB in the modern market. The failures they had in 2003 would've happened in the 80's too if they'd handled it the same way. And don't blame it on the recession. That's just what industry companies do when they want to whine for a government bailout.

And to Cypher, I'm not ignoring your post, but it will take some time to respond to (I fear it's going to be extremely long-winded).

BabyDoll

Post by BabyDoll »

Yes, I do think it is enough, and the fact that the line got picked up by Playmates after being repackaged bolsters my claim. The 'hook' that this line was marketed to toy manufacturers was on the strength of several things:

-Strong marketing trends towards repackaging known properties for the current generation (Ninja Turtles, Star Wars, Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears and My Little Pony all fit under this category as SUCCESSES on the shelves. )

-A need for positive play for girls in the target age group. (Meaning: The Bratz Backlash)

-A modern look for the property that eschewed the Smurf/Chipmunks/Holly Hobbie/Original Strawberry Shortcake look that Rainbow Brite was originally created to echo. (I am referring to the Huge Head/squished body/facial features pushed to the bottom of the face design elements). The original Rainbow Brite look is just as much a product of the times during which she was created as her redesign is to the appearance of the property today. Remember, Rainbow Brite was originally created by Hallmark Cards as 'their answer' to American Greeting's Strawberry Shortcake.

-Multimedia opportunities to facilitate expanding the line. The original promotional material included with the redesigned images shows that the current owners of the property are interested in expanding it further then just dolls on the toy shelf.

In regards to your "oh, the recession is just an excuse" claim, it is invalid to say that the toy industry is in any way asking for a bailout. This is FALSE. No one in the industry has request a bailout. None of the current giants of the toy industry are going out of business anytime soon. Mattel, Playmates, Hasbro and others have simply seen the same trend in consumer spending that ALL manufacturers have noticed for the last few years.

The economic truth is that one of the reasons we are in a recession is because the middle- and lower- class are curtailing spending on luxury items. This includes high price point toys. At Toy Fair 2009 there was a DISTINCTIVE, ACTIVELY-TOUTED trend towards marketing lower price point toys. This is why most action figure lines in the boy's aisle are now 3 3/4" tall instead of 6" tall. Why there is a lack of $300 living robot/interactive toys this year. Why companies like Nintendo have been working to keep their price points at a steady level rather then raising them. It is all about cutting costs and lowering the price point for the consumer. To dismiss this buying trend as a reason why toy manufacturers are looking for properties like Rainbow Brite, which can sit on the shelves at a reasonable price point using the attraction of color and a recognizable brand name to garner buys is FOOLISH.

In conclusion, this is hardly a case of the property owner hating the original or missing the point of a moderately well-selling toy property from the 1980's (remember, the toy line only lasted THREE years), but rather a conscious attempt to follow the marketing trends of TODAY to successfully shop around the property to prospective retailers.