Childhood Innocence

Tilas

Re: Childhood Innocence

Post by Tilas »

Good point. Its all about how many toys can we pump out?

...but with that said, wouldn't you think there'd be a lot more Barbie cartoons? Or is she just so powerful she doesn't need it?
My Deviant Art~ KeonaKii

SunSpire
Site Admin

Post by SunSpire »

I haven't read all of the replies in this topic cos it is A LOT of text! But I wanted to point out a few things.

EDIT: I'll just throw in a line here after reading the comment above, there's been a handful of 3D animated Barbie movies which supported the merchandise quite well.
--------------------------------

Dunno where the idea comes from that today's cartoons are violent and the ones from our childhood were not (or "less" violent for that matter), but I disagree with this opinion for the most part. What about Animaniacs, Tom and Jerry, or Looney Tunes to name just a few where the characters constantly go at each other, even killing each other occasionally? It is only cartoon violence, yes, but still violence, the same as found in some modern cartoons. Now I don't want to go into more detail about this as I have no problem with the latter of the 2 shows I mentioned above, just wanted to point out that our "dislike" for today's TV shows shouldn't just be blamed on violence, it's more the lack of creativity from the makers of these cartoons.

I have not had a TV for the last 6 or so years and not missing it one bit, I like oldskool cartoons just as much as everyone here but I find some of the newer stuff interesting too, for example I just started watching the original Ben10 series, which is very much in the style of classic cartoons with funny dialogues between the main characters. Another favorite of mine is Angry Beavers - watch the episode "Up all night" and you know why. Sonic Underground is awesome too!! :)

Anyway, I could stretch this post really long but as a closing comment I suggest you have a look around and see what else is out there in the world. There's a whole lot of good animated series coming over from Japan, and I do NOT mean the junk being offered on television. Many of these japanese "cartoons" have values and deliver messages many of you said you're missing in today's shows .. I suggest you watch:

Series:
Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar

Movies:
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Castle in the Sky

to name just a few very popular ones. They are a good alternative to the "nonsense" on TV nowadays. And while I don't consider myself a big anime-fan (cos there IS a lot of crap out there) after watching these I was amazed by their pure quality in both, drawing style and plot. They are far from being pointlessly violent.

Anyway, just my 2 cents for today .. there's TONS I could write about this subject but I'll leave it to you! :P

"SunSpire"
[html]* <a target="_blank" href="http://www.sunspire-records.com">SunSpire Records
</a>*
[/html]

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

just wanted to point out that our "dislike" for today's TV shows shouldn't just be blamed on violence, it's more the lack of creativity from the makers of these cartoons.
I agree with this. but I can't think of much else to say. :)
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

~Rainbow~

Post by ~Rainbow~ »

I was forbidden to watch Looney Tunes growing up. My mom thought it had too much violence, so it was not allowed in our house. Of course, when she tried to do the same thing with the Simpsons, I fought her on that; it gets a laugh these days. I grew up liking Power Rangers though and I still love the originals.

I'll agree that shows today lack a certain quality, but I think that kids' cartoons targeted at the 5-8 year olds have increased on the stupidity. I was a tomboy, so I never went for the girly stuff; hated it. I did do the Barbie thing but even she was easily tossed aside for an action figure. Boys' toys were always cooler anyway...and pink was not a favorite.

Boys had strong characters to look up to and the shows did have morals. Today they still get some of that, but it's all about the effects and the muscles. I mean, when they released the 15th anniversary Red Ranger series, all those Rangers were beefed up on the muscles. These Rangers (for the most part) are teenage boys... it was like Rangers, on steroids.

We've mentioned girls and the media image given to them, but what about the boys too? Where does "strength" draw the line, and how is it to be interpretated?[/quote]

Exactly! Seriously, I HATE watching little kids' TV shows anymore because they've really degraded themselves over the years! The moral they teach are so cliche, and while I know they're new to most of the kids learning them, they aren't to me, and it's my personal opinion that they're forcing them down kids' throats like mind control by having every one of the shows geared toward them spouting the same messages 24/7. Oy...

Shows for the older kids these days have gone down the tubes as well. I don't even WATCH TV anymore, and I survive as well as anybody else. These shows are just as cliche and mind-numbing as the little kids' shows! Don't even get me STARTED on Bratz dolls (sorry for those of you who like them)...

Long live '80s Rainbow Brite, Care Bears, My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, Smurfs, and all other shows that actually are worthy of my attention these days, that actually teach their lessons in a way that isn't outright spelligng it out, that have modest, honestly lovable characters and interesting plots! Long live everything I hold dear!! Image

WishBear2001

Post by WishBear2001 »

The money made directly from a show is so miniscule compared to merchandise, that if they can make a cheaper show, without a decrease in merchandise sales, then the money saved is well worth it to them.

A good example of that is in Strawberry Shortcake's modern TV special "Rockaberry Roll", Crepes Suzette is on the stage and earlier in the same episode she said she had to go home because Eclair was homesick.

Another is in Care Bears: Adventures In Care-a-Lot episode Broken, Share's lolipop belly badge is reversed
True Heart's purse bag is missing in a scene of Oopsy the Hero.
In Heatwave when the bears are sitting down watching Grumpy before the fan turns on, there are two clearly seen Shares. One is on the stool, the other is slumped against the wall, when the fan is turned on, the Share on the stool is Cheer
And another AiCaL blooper on the DVD Tell-Tale Tummies, Best Friend Bear is sick in bed, then shown playing ball with Tenderheart.

I agree Cartoons today are crap. They don't teach the morals, and values we all learned.

Not all cartoons are that way...

What about Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman?

for more info go to pbskidsgo.org/fetch
Attachments
two Shares?
two Shares?
heatwave1.jpg (119.06 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
Share's lollipops
Share's lollipops
brokenblooper2a.jpg (54.11 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
the &quot;blooper&quot; in Rockaberry Roll
the "blooper" in Rockaberry Roll
Capturebloopercrepes not meant to be in scene.JPG (77.89 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Haven't heard of Fetch before. PBS is more geared toward school readiness and enforcing school learning. They're not so much about teaching morals, though they do do that on the side. It's not the main focus though. I'm thinking of shows such as Martha Speaks and Curious George. Word Girl would work here as well, though I've not seen much of that. The daycare mostly see the others. I'd say though that Dragon Tales did more moral teaching and such than these.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

WishBear2001

Post by WishBear2001 »

Fetch! is about a dog named Ruff, his assistant cat "Blossom Von Yum Yum" and a mouse, Chet who has caused thousands of dollars in damage to Studio G. They send 6 humans, three boys and three girls to "go Fetch!" for Ruff.
This show's education value is for ages 10-14, but adults love Ruff. Watch out for Ruff's lessons (Blossom teaches lessons when she finds moldy food in Ruff's house, Grandma Ruffman teaches proper manners to Ruff, Ruff helps cats to get adopted)
Attachments
Ruff sitting at the Fetch! 3000
Ruff sitting at the Fetch! 3000
fetchlogo_ruff_vm.gif (25.44 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

WishBear2001

Post by WishBear2001 »

I wish there would have been an Environmental CB TV series...
that would have happened if poseables were released in 1991

only "real" environmental poseables in existance are prototypes at poseableplace.com
Attachments
environmental<br />parade
environmental
parade
pic%20(4).jpg (18.54 KiB) Viewed 1142 times

TheWendybird

Post by TheWendybird »

Chibi Rachy wrote:Haven't heard of Fetch before. PBS is more geared toward school readiness and enforcing school learning. They're not so much about teaching morals, though they do do that on the side. It's not the main focus though. I'm thinking of shows such as Martha Speaks and Curious George. Word Girl would work here as well, though I've not seen much of that. The daycare mostly see the others. I'd say though that Dragon Tales did more moral teaching and such than these.
OMG Curious George is the best! :D He's so cute!
*~*~Krista~*~*
Mrs. Starvoyager as of 11/22/09 :D
"Hail Stormy full of fury! Rainbow is with Thee!" :P

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

TheWendybird wrote:
Chibi Rachy wrote:Haven't heard of Fetch before. PBS is more geared toward school readiness and enforcing school learning. They're not so much about teaching morals, though they do do that on the side. It's not the main focus though. I'm thinking of shows such as Martha Speaks and Curious George. Word Girl would work here as well, though I've not seen much of that. The daycare mostly see the others. I'd say though that Dragon Tales did more moral teaching and such than these.
OMG Curious George is the best! :D He's so cute!
He's definitely entertaining and fun to watch :) Haven't seen it in a long time. Usually when the daycare get some afternoon tv, it's usually around the time Martha Speaks is on
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire