Upcoming RB Toys/Playsets?

Chibi Rachy

Re: Upcoming RB Toys/Playsets?

Post by Chibi Rachy »

I wonder if they plan to advertise in the middle of the year or something. Who knows? You are right though. No one knows about the relaunch. I'm waiting for soccer season to start because I want to see if one of my soccer parents has seen any of the new merch. She's the run of the mill 80's fan with kids so she would be a good person to ask.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

I'm sure Playmates won't be making any commercials to advertize the relaunch, the are a very very small toy company - I suspect they operate on fairly narrow margins.

They made the last wave of Strawberry Shortcake dolls, and I never once saw so much as an ad or commercial about any of the new dolls (which they sold for about 2 years I think) Now that Hasbro has the SSC license, I was expecting more ads/commercials from them - but haven't really seen much.

Of course, I hardly see any toy commercials at all come to think of it, so maybe I'm not watching the right channels (probably Sat. morning would be the best time)

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

You're right about Saturday morning TV, Sarah. Most of the shows on then are nothing but 30 minute toy commercials interrupted by commercials for candy, sweetened cereals and so on.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Galacticatt wrote:I'm sure Playmates won't be making any commercials to advertize the relaunch, the are a very very small toy company - I suspect they operate on fairly narrow margins.

They made the last wave of Strawberry Shortcake dolls, and I never once saw so much as an ad or commercial about any of the new dolls (which they sold for about 2 years I think) Now that Hasbro has the SSC license, I was expecting more ads/commercials from them - but haven't really seen much.

Of course, I hardly see any toy commercials at all come to think of it, so maybe I'm not watching the right channels (probably Sat. morning would be the best time)
I'm not sure how Saturday morning shows have changed. I've watched maybe once or twice in more recent months. Evening TV isn't too overly saturated with the commercials anymore (for kids). I think the commercials I always see the most of are for medication of some kind.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

*C9*

Post by *C9* »

Saturday cartoons always had cereal commercials 0_0 they always would advertise toys of the shows in between as well. The problem is shows today generally suck.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

*C9* wrote:Saturday cartoons always had cereal commercials 0_0 they always would advertise toys of the shows in between as well. The problem is shows today generally suck.
Isn't part of the problem with thinking that some shows suck (some not all) that we think with an adult mentality about them?

punyichigo

Post by punyichigo »

OH NO! playmates please dont cancel the toy line, i just started collecting, please dont leave us at just 3 charecters and 3 horses(and no sprites...yet) i was really anxious to see stormy...err..the fourth sky power. The talking rainbow brite was a neato idea. I dont understand the whole¨the new toy line is not making good sales¨ everytime i go to my local target i almost always see the rainbow brite dolls wiped clean, there constantly restocking, especially the 15¨ baby faced ones( cause shes soo cute). i hope this line goes somewere, it just started, you cant expect something to launch succesfully right away, it takes time.

Tom-sprite

Post by Tom-sprite »

*C9* wrote:
Saturday cartoons always had cereal commercials 0_0 they always would advertise toys of the shows in between as well. The problem is shows today generally suck.

Isn't part of the problem with thinking that some shows suck (some not all) that we think with an adult mentality about them?

@ Chibi :

Maybe to a small part ...
I think one of the biggest problem often is the styling.
Poor computer generated cartoons without any charm.
The worst sort of those shows are the ones that try to look like a traditionell cartoon. (cheap FLASH-design style)
I guess even a lot of kids sense if a cartoon is pure self purpose.
My two godchildren for example are quickly bored of 3D/flash based-cartoons.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Tom-sprite wrote:*C9* wrote:

@ Chibi :

Maybe to a small part ...
I think one of the biggest problem often is the styling.
Poor computer generated cartoons without any charm.
The worst sort of those shows are the ones that try to look like a traditionell cartoon. (cheap FLASH-design style)
I guess even a lot of kids sense if a cartoon is pure self purpose.
My two godchildren for example are quickly bored of 3D/flash based-cartoons.

I don't think we can base on examples of children we know. I'm sure any of us could find a child that fit either side of the bill. Kids aren't going to sense if it's self purpose. They aren't going to sit there and say "What terrible animation! This was done quickly for the toys! Let's tell mommy!" No, they're looking for a show that draws them in and fuels their imagination, that entertains them. If it can't do that, then it fails. Being quickly done may be a part of that, but other shows would fall prey to this chopping block.

I think it also comes down to the fact that some just want their precious 80's style cartoons back. Cartoons, as with other things, evolve with the times, and one can complain all one wants, but really, it's not going to change things. If someone's not happy with cartoons today, then they should get involved in the field to help make a difference.

Tom-sprite

Post by Tom-sprite »

I don't think we can base on examples of children we know. I'm sure any of us could find a child that fit either side of the bill. Kids aren't going to sense if it's self purpose. They aren't going to sit there and say "What terrible animation! This was done quickly for the toys! Let's tell mommy!" No, they're looking for a show that draws them in and fuels their imagination, that entertains them. If it can't do that, then it fails. Being quickly done may be a part of that, but other shows would fall prey to this chopping block.

I think it also comes down to the fact that some just want their precious 80's style cartoons back. Cartoons, as with other things, evolve with the times, and one can complain all one wants, but really, it's not going to change things. If someone's not happy with cartoons today, then they should get involved in the field to help make a difference.