Pics of the new Tickled Pink, Moonglow, Sunriser and Sprites

FanChan

Re: Pics of the new Tickled Pink, Moonglow, Sunriser and Sprites

Post by FanChan »

*C9* wrote:The boots look tacky and don't go with the dresses of the other two. They remind me of Patty's boots which were like sports shoes.

I'm sorry, but I think the three girls are all wearing similar dresses. I don't know how you can think they look fine on Rainbow and not on the other two. Giving them the same style boots unifies them. No, the original series didn't have them all in similar uniforms, but I don't think that means it's bad for them to do that now. It makes them a bit more recognizable in relation to each other, the same with giving all of them wands and respective symbols.

The one complaint I have with giving the three of them similar uniforms is that you can't really tell who the leader is. Perhaps they intend to make them all a bit more equal, and simply seperate them by their particular tasks. I'm eager to see if they'll do the other kids, and if they do, if they'll give them a different uniform, to show them as being subordinate to Rainbow.

I think everyone needs to be careful not to let sentimentality rule their feelings on this relaunch. No, it's not what a lot of us would have wanted, myself included, but we shouldn't scrap the whole relaunch because of that. So it wasn't OUR plan for the future of Rainbow. That doesn't mean this is a horrible future for the franchise. With the exception of their boring faces, the designs and colours are gorgeous. Even the anime-esque eyes are quite attractive. If it weren't for that blank smile and stare, I'd say they were a brilliant redesign.

My feelings about the redesign so far have steadily changed, taking a turn when I got the stickers in the mail from a friend. Holding them in my hand, seeing the vibrancy of the colour and the potential in the characters for a great franchise, I see the spirit of the original Rainbow Brite throughout. The colours remind me a great deal of Lisa Frank, which as we all know was a very popular and successful girl's products franchise. Starlite has the whimsical look of Markie.

I just think everyone needs to take a deep breath and wait it out. See what they do with this. If they do something retarded with it down the line, then we can begin the debate anew. But for now, with only a pack of stickers to work with, there just isn't enough data to come to a conclusion.
"I hope you know what you're doing, Rainbow."
"You still doubt me, after all this time?"
"I don't doubt," Krys said as he paused at the door. "I worry."

-Excerpt from my yet unnamed RB doujinshi.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

I do want to see what comes of this entire redesign. Yes, I'm not fond of it and that's clearly been made known, especially since I wrote that story... *grin* but I'm not going to say scrap the entire thing, it's too shockingly terrible to allow it to hit shelves. The story was meant to nit-pick and after I wrote that, believe me, I was content. I'm also not gonna fawn over it and oooh and aahh it either.

I agree with Starvoyager's analogy. It's a reboot, not a sequel. It's going to be treated as such. I'll treat it the same as I'd treat anything else redone to a favorite franchise. I wasn't too terribly fond of the prequel commissioned to be done for the Anne of Green Gables franchise and though I haven't seen the movie done as a prequel (not connected to this book though), I'm not gonna say it's my favorite. It's not. The style it's done in is too modern, and the writing does not throw back to the other books. It indeed lacks in the descriptions and language L.M. Montgomery was capable of. It was a good way to give fans more information on Anne's history prior to coming to Green Gables, especially when all we had prior was what Anne had related in various parts of the books. However, it just wasn't the same. I didn't get the same feeling when I read it.

And that's the same outlook I'll take here. Who's going to turn down more Rainbow Brite, if an honest attempt is made? However, in the same sense, everyone knows it's not going to be the same. It never will be the same. I think it'll be fine, as long as they attempt to give the characters a good backstory to match the designs. Maybe we'll finally get background information for Moonglo and Tickled Pink. I'd be most interested to see that, should it occur.

The outfits have started to grow on me in a way. I still don't like the complete overhaul of Moonglo, though I like her color scheme. I still like Tickled Pink best of all three. I've no problem with the shoes. Many characters for shows these days match in their outfits except for a few defining features. Power Rangers are the ones that come to mind first. Similar suits, except for whatever their callsign is and their weaponry, and colors of course. (Going to ignore that PR has been around since the 70's in Japan and the 90's here) and used that same concept. I see the same here.

If anything really needs changed, it's the faces. I don't see the sort of warmth and emotion I'd expect...there's no uniqueness there. It reminds me of those ads I see all over the internet, the ones for various sites (like IMVU) that change random things about the avatar slowly; there's nothing unique. And so, if anything must be changed, it should be that.

I'm still calling the relaunch v. 2.0 though

:rbstormy:
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

IndigoJoy

Post by IndigoJoy »

Giving them all the same boots makes mass production of merchandise a lot easier. All they have to do is a recolor rather than a whole new mold (in the case of plastic) or pattern (in the case of fabric).
Upon the Rainbow, my rainbow blog.

Starvoyager

Post by Starvoyager »

Everything about this (except for the artistic style) is about cost reduction.

I see very little chance of the Color Kids making a return. We may see a few of them turned into Elemental kids, but we won't see all 7 of them.

First of all, Moonglo has already been purple-ized to make her easy to distinguish from Pink. This tells us that Hallmark is scared of confusing the audience by having more than one character with a particular color scheme. So now Moonglo isn't stealing anything from Pink, but she shares colors with Buddy, Indigo, and Violet. So those three are likely out of the equation already.

Even if we all accepted the change in style, design, and attitude as being BETTER than the original RB, this is still going to be a downgrade. Less characters, less detail, less plot (if there's a story at all), less of... pretty much everything.

We went to Walmart today, and they had the stickers there. Oddly, they look a bit less terrible to me than they do on screen. I still don't really like it, but it somehow bothered me less on the stickers. Maybe it just looks better as printed media, or the fact that the stickers are pseudo-3D.

I also went to the Hallmark store right by the Walmart to see if they had anything, or knew of anything coming soon. "No" to both answers. So it looks like Hallmark hasn't informed their stores of any upcoming RB stuff. I 'guess' the big wave will come for Christmas? If it ever comes...

Anyone aware of a marketing plan yet? If Hallmark is trying to do this without one again, it's already doomed to fail.

*C9*

Post by *C9* »

Thats it! I knew it cost reduction! *will change boots in photoshop one day soon*

As for Sunriser if you had not noticed her color scheme is changed diffrenet pink shades no darker rose pink mane and hooves. There are traces of ribbon? yellow streaks in hair. I like her >.> *shifty eyes* I like the eyes alot for the horses. Too bad the eyes for the girls couldn't be a bit more cute.

Hallmark workers of the stores are out of the loop they have no idea.

I wonder what the plot would be...I would bet they would throw out Murky or make him more evil and I'm thinking the princess would come in too. Idunno she would seem to fit most.

Someone on Deviant I read claims to work for Playmates and gave the design idea of Rainbow to them/ inspired them. I can only wonder how true this is since people have been claiming things all the time in the past.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

*C9* wrote:Someone on Deviant I read claims to work for Playmates and gave the design idea of Rainbow to them/ inspired them. I can only wonder how true this is since people have been claiming things all the time in the past.
Doubtful that it'd be true... I really doubt the validity of it.
*C9* wrote:I wonder what the plot would be...I would bet they would throw out Murky or make him more evil and I'm thinking the princess would come in too. Idunno she would seem to fit most.
Can't really speculate much on a plot... but I had a random thought... what if, in order to make the villain like Murky, they made him a girl? Murkina, or something of the sort.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

*C9*

Post by *C9* »

Weee was bored and did some photoshoping just the footwear. Nothing really special just sort of an outline of what I think would look better in keeping the footwear closer to how it looked.
Attachments
moon copy.jpg
moon copy.jpg (57.56 KiB) Viewed 845 times
pink.jpg
pink.jpg (99.71 KiB) Viewed 851 times

Patreek

Post by Patreek »

I really dislike alot of what I'm seeing... In general I like Moonglow as a design... but i just really hate that they've recolored her. This new girl they are calling moonglow isn't moonglow. Part of why it bugs me is we've been waiting SO long to finally see Moonglow released over here and when they finally do something with her its not even her. :-(

Tickled Pink I hate. I don't like this whole sun thing. I don't really like her design either.

The horses and sprites look fine.... I don't know I"m just feeling quite depressed about all this. When I saw the rainbow brite design, while I didn't LOVE it I didn't hate it as much as I thought I might and I started to get a bit excited... but these latest designs... idk...i'm really just not feeling it. :-( :-(

Patreek

Post by Patreek »

Also, the way they've designed things... Rainbow actually looks like the least "important" of the three... to me.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Patreek wrote:Also, the way they've designed things... Rainbow actually looks like the least "important" of the three... to me.
The way they've got it, it makes them all look to be on equal footing. They each have their own powers and strengths. Of course, that's also because everyone had to have what everyone else had for balance...