Question About Dolls

Treasure_House

Question About Dolls

Post by Treasure_House »

Ok, so this has probably been asked before. But I can't find any relating posts about it. Anyways; as everyone knows, dolls from the oldies start to show signs of aging. So how do you get rid of those black markings that apear on dolls? I tried nail polish remover, but it doesn't even make a dent it. I chalk it up as the doll just has a bruise, or at least that's what I told my son. I know it's a sign of mold, or there abouts. but how do you cover it up? I got this paint called "plaid" which looks kinda peachish. But you put that on the doll and it looks gold. Bright gold. LOL... So now I have a gold doll head and another with a bruise. HELP!!!

:P
When In Doubt - Check It Out

http://www.wix.com/treasure_house/index

Clinozoisite

Question About Dolls

Post by Clinozoisite »

I believe the mold is usually INSIDE the plastic head. I used to see this with my Barbies and some My Little Ponies. Other than to detach the head and sanitize it inside, I'm not sure there is a way to remove the mold. If it has already discolored the plastic, your only option may be to paint over the area.

I have a few offenders in my collection, the worst of which is shown in this photo: http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/ ... G_7148.jpg

I don't think it is a particularly prolific variety of black mold, since I haven't seen much continued deterioration in the condition of this doll in 20 some years.

I also have a Skipper doll which I accidentally buried in my yard for more than a year before she resurfaced. She, too, has some interior molding, but once again - decades later show no change in her condition.

If you're worried about the health aspects, put the doll in the freezer. Most molds thrive in warm, humid environments so the freezing temperatures should kill it in a couple of hours.