Spectra really exists - kind of

IndigoJoy

Post by IndigoJoy »

Look at number 9 on this list: http://blog.koldcast.tv/2010/koldcast-n ... ter-space/

There really is a star made of diamond! Of course, all the light in the universe does not have to pass through it. ;)
Upon the Rainbow, my rainbow blog.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Nice!!! :lol:
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Watercolor
Admin

Post by Watercolor »

I remember that article, the original one from February 13th 2004.

Katy posted about it on the Rainbow Brite mailing list, but I think a forum member posted it. The forum archive here doesn't go back that far, because I think the forum changes servers that summer.

This is what it said though:
Astronomers Spy Massive Diamond

If anyone's ever promised you the sun, the moon and the stars, tell 'em you'll settle for BPM 37093. The heart of that burned-out star with the no-nonsense name is a sparkling diamond that weighs a staggering 10 billion trillion trillion carats. That's one followed by 34 zeros.
The hunk of celestial bling is an estimated 2,500 miles across, said Travis Metcalfe, of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"You would need a jeweler's loupe the size of the sun to grade this diamond," said Metcalfe, who led the team that discovered the gem.

The diamond is a massive chunk of crystallized carbon that lies about 300 trillion miles from Earth, in the constellation Centaurus.

The galaxy's largest diamond is formally known as a white dwarf, or the hot core of a dead sun.

Astronomers have suspected for decades that white dwarfs crystallized, but only recently were able to verify the hypothesis.

A paper detailing the discovery has been submitted to The Astrophysical Journal Letters for publication.
But, ya know....even regular un-cut diamonds look like rocks.

If you really want something cool, check out a "Lone Star Cut" jewel. The cut is not used on diamonds, but it is used on other colored stones. The stone is cut in such a way that the light reflects a star in the middle of the diamond or jewel. OMG! I <3 these cuts so much. :)
Attachments
Lone Star Cut Jewels
Lone Star Cut Jewels
starcut.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 912 times

stormberryfairy

Post by stormberryfairy »

Cool!

Wow, I want those earrings!!!!!!!!!!!! My middle name is STARR!!!!!!!!

IndigoJoy

Post by IndigoJoy »

That is definitely cool!
Upon the Rainbow, my rainbow blog.