Who would you like to see direct a RB movie?

Charles Xavier

Post by Charles Xavier »

I may have posted this topic up years back, but I thought it'd be nice just to bring it up again. If RB was going to be updated into a live-action/animated film and you were producing, out of any person in the film industry, who would you pick to take the helm as director?

Here are mine, off the top of my head:

1. Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, The Devil's Backbone).
2. Alfonso Cuarón (A Little Princess, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Children of Men).
3. Spike Jonze (Where The Wild Things Are, Adaptation, Being John Malkovich).
4. Darren Aronofsky (Requiem For A Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler).

Good choices, bad choices, what do you think? Anybody else you guys like to recommend?

Charles Xavier

Post by Charles Xavier »

:blink: Wow, nobody's interested, huh? Oh, well...

Clinozoisite

Post by Clinozoisite »

I would be most upset if it became a live-action movie. Even with modern special effects and what-not, I think it would be quite horrible. And I don't follow film enough to know who is a good (or bad) director. :lol:

It might be nice to see another animated Rainbow Brite film, but I doubt they'd make it in the classic 80s style, so once again I would be unhappy with it.

Charles Xavier

Post by Charles Xavier »

Clinozoisite wrote:I would be most upset if it became a live-action movie. Even with modern special effects and what-not, I think it would be quite horrible. And I don't follow film enough to know who is a good (or bad) director. :lol:

It might be nice to see another animated Rainbow Brite film, but I doubt they'd make it in the classic 80s style, so once again I would be unhappy with it.
Ah, that's the thing with fans of RB. It seems for some, nothing will please them unless it follows fundamentally to the 80s cartoon, a time which I'm sure most of you grew up in (including me :happy: ). It's really all about nostalgia here. Fully understandable and I take your point.

But for a young audience who's completely unfamiliar with RB, making an RB film from how you may picture it may turn to be too outdated for their taste. It's really all about knowing your audience when making a film. As for RB, there's a line that has to be drawn between the fans and those new to the franchise.

I hear people saying how much better Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Care Bears, RB etc. used to be until now. But try to think of kids growing up now, and I bet you they'll be be saying the same exact thing: how much the shows in their childhood were great compared to shows they'll see in ten/twenty years time.

In short, whether you are an RB fan or not, you have to keep an open mind. Sure, if there's going to be a new RB movie, then of course there's bound to be changes made. If there was an RB film that followed fundamentally to the 80s show in every aspect, then sure, it may please to some respect, but to others who want to see something new and different...

Either way, people are going to complain. So really, there's no real way to please everyone.

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius »

I really think a Rainbow Brite movie would be awesome. The only thing is how would they do the color kids and Rainbow Brite? Puppy Brite, Kitty Brite, the sprites, horses and the bad guys would just be awesome. And the graphics in that movie would be interesting to see. I'm all for a Rainbow Brite movie, no matter what it is like :)

:rb: :rbtwink: :rbstarlite:
Everyone has an opinion and some of them may be different than yours. BUT that doesn’t make them wrong only different.

Clinozoisite

Post by Clinozoisite »

Charles Xavier wrote:It's really all about nostalgia here.
Exactly. It is all about nostalgia. Which is why I don't understand modern Hollywood's obsession with remaking very generational-specific TV shows and movies. They are counting on the original viewers for their revenues, but do very little to actually appeal to that demographic. The number of new fans they attract must be minimal when compared to the older fans.

Is Hollywood really so bereft of ideas that they need to mooch off older ones? The new A-Team movie comes to mind...

I guess I, personally, have a problem with the whole concept that "dated" = "bad" since I enjoy a lot of movies and TV series that came out long before I was born. When people try to 'modernize' older classics, it typically doesn't work. I could give you a whole slew of examples. :)

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

It's not that I'm not interested, it's that I don't pay attention to things such as directors, actors, actresses... so I had no one to recommend or not recommend.

I don't really have an opinion on RB being done as a movie, whether CG, live action, or what have you. No matter what gets made, it's not going to make someone happy. Nostalgia vs. bringing in new fans vs. I don't know what. As for taking it to live action, couldn't hurt. Let's see how Avatar does being done as a live action film from a cartoon. Let's see how some of these new releases do. I'm actually curious about seeing Karate Kid, but that's me.

Whatever gets done, it's never gonna be the same. I think that needs to be realized. Plus, every director has a different vision of what the film should be like.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

TheWendybird

Post by TheWendybird »

After 'Where the Wild Things Are" having such an amazing spirit....Spike Jonze I think.
*~*~Krista~*~*
Mrs. Starvoyager as of 11/22/09 :D
"Hail Stormy full of fury! Rainbow is with Thee!" :P