25 Years Later the Magic is Still Working!

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

25 Years Later the Magic is Still Working!

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

25 years after she was first launched, the magic of the original Rainbow Brite dolls is still working. Have a look at my friend Marie-Louise and her mom, Shirley. Guess what? Her mom played with Blondine Arc-En-Ciel when she was the age her daughter is now. I invited them over for Christmas dinner but it took place almost a month after the big day.

Scroll down...

Marie-Louise is cooking our dinner. I was giving her directions in French. They don't speak English and mon français est trés perfectible (needs much improvement)! All the same, it turned out quite well.

After dinner it was time for presents...lots of presents! But you won't get to see them all because if I showed everything this post would be about 50 meters long.

Marie-Louise didn't know what to think of this doll when she unwrapped it. I warned her that it was a Rainbow Brite doll that was not like the others. Her mom is pointing out the rainbow colors in the black fabric. In the lower center is an MIB USA RB doll to go with the European and Canadian dolls she got for Saint Nicolas day in December.

And a loose one to go with it that she could play with. It also had a lot of extra clothes.

A precious moment.

She really loves her new 47 cm/18 inch Dress Up Rainbow Brite doll! The magic of the original Blondine continues to this day. And it will never stop.

And they each got their very own Tagada or Starlight; which is one of their favorites in the RB line. Mom got the European version and Marie-Louise got the USA version. They also got lots of other stuff, not all of it related to the rainbow. We've been friends for over ten years. I've known Marie-Louise since they brought her home from the hospital over nine years ago. They used to live in the apartment below mine but now they have a small house just up the street.

Afterwards, they went upstairs to see the new arrivals in the Blondine Museum. They are the only people besides myself who have ever visited it in person.

In case you are wondering, that large Dress Up Rainbow Brite doll was made by none other than Jazzycreations. I found the fabric and told her what I wanted the clothes to look like and she took care of the rest, which included a new body.
Last edited by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel on Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Tom-sprite

Re: 25 Years Later the Magic is Still Working!

Post by Tom-sprite »

I prove you right ... good old original 80s rainbow is still very favoured.

I really don t know why they changed the design for the new version that much ...
personally I think this is simply a great pity.
A lot of people who visited me saw my collection of 80s rainbow-stuff and the majority of those people said that the dollies are extremely cute ... I also showed some of them the design of new rainbow and I really did not influence them at all but all of them said :
The new version is not able to match the original ...
Some said : Why does rainbow now look like a Barbie ? She looks way older etc.
I also asked the daughter of my sister who is 7 years old which doll she likes more ... she selected old rainbow ...

The uniqueness and cuteness was what made rainbow magic ... I hope Hallmark finds back to the roots just a little bit ... sadly new rainbow appeals to me like a completely different char.

Dunno why I have to write this but subliminally it quite irritates me ...

Tennyo

Post by Tennyo »

How great is that. This story gives me the warm fuzzies. :)

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Tennyo wrote:How great is that. This story gives me the warm fuzzies.
Me too :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Regina

Post by Regina »

Oh, how cute :)
Must be a blast from the past to have Rainbow Brite dolls MIB for Christmas!

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Tom-sprite wrote:I prove you right ... good old original 80s rainbow is still very favoured.

I really don t know why they changed the design for the new version that much ...
personally I think this is simply a great pity.
A lot of people who visited me saw my collection of 80s rainbow-stuff and the majority of those people said that the dollies are extremely cute ... I also showed some of them the design of new rainbow and I really did not influence them at all but all of them said :
The new version is not able to match the original ...
Some said : Why does rainbow now look like a Barbie ? She looks way older etc.
I also asked the daughter of my sister who is 7 years old which doll she likes more ... she selected old rainbow ...

The uniqueness and cuteness was what made rainbow magic ... I hope Hallmark finds back to the roots just a little bit ... sadly new rainbow appeals to me like a completely different char.

Dunno why I have to write this but subliminally it quite irritates me ...

Tom-sprite, your friends and niece are correct. I hope that the Gen 5 dolls will be a re-release of the Gen 1 dolls. Maybe a little bigger than before, such as 29 and 58 cm so they can't be confused with the originals but the look should be exactly the same.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Rainbow Brite wrote:
Tennyo wrote:How great is that. This story gives me the warm fuzzies.
Me too :)

It was a huge warm fuzzy for me when it was taking place. I was very happy to do this for them. :bg:

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Regina wrote:Oh, how cute :)
Must be a blast from the past to have Rainbow Brite dolls MIB for Christmas!

That's exactly what it was for Shirley. For Marie-Louise is was just a blast because her past doesn't go that far back. And it was also a blast from the past for me.

And thanks to all for the nice comments.

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

And thanks to Chibi Rachy for explaining how to get individual photos on here :).

Tom-sprite

Post by Tom-sprite »

Tom-sprite, your friends and niece are correct. I hope that the Gen 5 dolls will be a re-release of the Gen 1 dolls. Maybe a little bigger than before, such as 29 and 58 cm so they can't be confused with the originals but the look should be exactly the same.
I wish exactly the same ! :-D

The new toys arent that bad and I slowly accustom to them but I think I will always love the gen 1 most !!! :-D