Differing thoughts on characters

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Wow, it's been a while since I've been here...I think last time was in 2012..ish? Dang...I was so happy to find out the forum was still here! Slower than it used to be, understandably, but I'm still glad to see it's here!

So, after finishing up my Masters' I finally have some time to get back into some of my old fandoms and after I found the old episodes on YouTube the other day, my hibernating muses began to wake up. I'm writing some fanfiction again and man, does it feel good!

Anyway, to the topic at hand, one thing I realized getting back into the fandom is that my thoughts/ideas about certain characters have evolved/changed and wondered if anyone else noticed that over time with themselves.

For myself, I used to really dislike Red Butler. I reread some of my old stories and man, I used to bash on him pretty bad. LOL. Now, though, rewatching some of the episodes and rereading some of the books, I find I like him now, though he still isn't my favorite. I see more his actions being justified and make me think he could be a pretty brave/loyal friend to have around.

My favorites are still Patty and Buddy though, with Rainbow and Brian being close behind.

Radiant Bridge

Post by Radiant Bridge »

No, but I understand its source. I have always liked Red Butler overall, but have an objection to his impulsion. He is easy to be ambivalent about. On one hand, Red Butler has admirable courage and drive. I applaud him for racing to The Pits anytime one of his friends is in trouble and standing up for the truth and morality at a moment's notice regardless of what the threat is. It is especially sweet that the red Color Kid is so protective of all of the girls. His charm and strength, unfortunately, are often masked by an uncontrollable desire for being the center of attention. That bothers me because it signals an insecurity which contradicts the passion that Red Butler stands for. Nevertheless, I find it strange that no one has ever complained about Buddy Blue whom I don't care for. It is so ironic that everyone accuses, regarding the boys, Red Butler of being too pushy when Buddy Blue is the one with the controlling nature. He has a narrow perspective on life and thinks that everyone should like what he does. That is much more irritating than Red Butler's abnormal love of talking about himself. Buddy Blue is a simple, dull person who does not seem to have anything beyond his athletic ability to contribute to Rainbowland and Earth. At least Red Butler has convictions that he is willing to defend and an exuberance that can be attractive. Buddy Blue, however, just wants clones of himself and is usually happy to sit back and watch problems unfold. I don't blame Red Butler for hating his only human visitor. Brian is a milksop to his last cell, and I would view his presence as an intrusion too if I were a Color Kid.