Displaying your Collection

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
silverorangetears

Post by silverorangetears »

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are in the process of buying our first home!
And that means that we will each finally have our own offices, with plenty of room to decorate however we'd like!

Of course, it also means that my dollies can finally come to live with me, instead of staying at at my parents (nicely displayed, but in a room no one goes in any more :( )

So I'm curious to see how other people tackle displaying large collections, anyone have any tips or fancy ideas? Also, I have two bratty kitty cats.. any tips for keeping them from stealing hand sprites or chewing on Murky's face?

This is how mine is set up at my parents house:

http://imgur.com/a/JrRgo <- more pictures here

Please post pictures of your collections, I have a blank slate, and no idea how I'm going to proceed!

Amabilis999

Post by Amabilis999 »

Maybe you can put the Hatful Sprites and Murky in something like plastic container; however, the plastic container needs to be a bit wide for Murky because his nose sticks out. Also RainbowBrite.co has a tutorial on how to recreate the Rainbow Brite style box that was used for the 80s toyline. I’m not sure if it’s pet proof but it’s worth a try.

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

I like how Katy displays her collection- http://rainbowbrite.net/collect/museum/

I only have a select few dolls out at a time, since I collect different stuff. I put my things in those glass ikea detolf shelves- I am limited to 6 so I have to do a lot of rotating, and obviously nothing too huge (trying to sell off anything too gigantic)

Sukey

Post by Sukey »

You have really nice collection! What is on your lap- looks like a blanket or tote bag? I personally keep my items that the cats can cause more harm to the higher up on my bookcase and that seems to work for me.
:rainbow: Sukey

silverorangetears

Sukey wrote:You have really nice collection! What is on your lap- looks like a blanket or tote bag? I personally keep my items that the cats can cause more harm to the higher up on my bookcase and that seems to work for me.

Thank you! It's a blanket from the 2009 collection, from Aldi's grocery store (I think! I actually traded something for the blanket back then, I couldn't find it local)

I think I'm planning on just moving the shelves from the pictures above to my new house, and putting them on the wall there. They should be high enough that the cats can't jump directly onto them.. i hope!

I was hoping to do something more interesting than just a shelf of dolls, a shelf of sprites etc. maybe mix it up a little, somehow, but I haven't figured out how to mix it up yet.

silverorangetears

I've started to put up some of my collection, and wanted to share the progress :)

These are custom plates that my sister and I painted over many years, and the first rainbow brite things to go on the walls!

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Super cute!! :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Watercolor
Admin

Post by Watercolor »

I documented making my display on my blog http://blog.rainbowbrite.co.uk/search/l ... lor%20Cave

I recreated doll boxes and gave a lot of tips there if you wanted to check it out.

Yours looks like it's making an awesome start!

Can't wait to see more!
Attachments
rainbowroom02.jpg
rainbowroom02.jpg (74.53 KiB) Viewed 15884 times
rainbowroom01.jpg
rainbowroom01.jpg (330.45 KiB) Viewed 15884 times

silverorangetears

Watercolor wrote:I documented making my display on my blog http://blog.rainbowbrite.co.uk/search/l ... lor%20Cave

I recreated doll boxes and gave a lot of tips there if you wanted to check it out.

Yours looks like it's making an awesome start!

Can't wait to see more!

Awesome, Watercolor! i love the name "Colour cave"! i might steal that!

My Mom bought a sign for our basement that says "man cave" in flashing lights, lol...

If he can have a mancave, then i can have a colour cave!

We moved over a bunch of my vintage dolls this weekend, but they're in a chest at the moment, until we can get shelves built.. i'm so excited to finally have my dollies at home with me :)

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

That color cave is amazing! Great job on the hand-made boxes!