Yellow Body Rainbow Brite

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

So I just won this dolly.
Ebay seller writes: "All of the others I have come across have a blue body, this one has a yellow body. It may have been handmade, I am not sure."

Can anyone please solve this mystery for me?
Attachments
pic1.JPG
pic1.JPG (159.07 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Galacticatt and I were just discussing this doll the other day. She says it's a recast :-) Apparently a knock off company got ahold of an official face mold and used it on a knock off body. She said the vintage ones are usually slightly different sized although now they can replicate a mold pretty perfectly... you can tell by the slightly smudged original branding that is a straight up recast...
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

A very CUTE recast!

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

Rainbow Brite wrote:Galacticatt and I were just discussing this doll the other day. She says it's a recast :-) Apparently a knock off company got ahold of an official face mold and used it on a knock off body. She said the vintage ones are usually slightly different sized although now they can replicate a mold pretty perfectly... you can tell by the slightly smudged original branding that is a straight up recast...

That's awesome... I'm glad she was made.
Also now, can you help me identify this doll (who I also just won)?
Ebay title says "Rainbow Brite", it has hair and head like a lot of RB dolls but it isn't anything or character I know of (so clearly NOT a rainbow brite character)...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1983-Ra ... 7675.l2557
Attachments
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (300.42 KiB) Viewed 3561 times

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Galacticatt wrote:A very CUTE recast!
Agreed :) I wish she still had her original clothes! I'd love to know what they looked like.

As far as the second doll goes, I'm not even sure I would call it a knock off since it's so dissimilar to Rainbow Brite dolls. The head mold is similar, and it has yarn hair...but that's about it. Let us know if there are any branding marks or tags when you get it. I do love its dress :-)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

Yeah- no idea about the doll above. She dosen't seem to be a licensed character OR a knock off of a licensed character- so she could be hard to track down.

I used to collect the fakie Rainbow Brite dolls for fun, but there are soooooooooooooooo many, that I had to stop.

My favorite are the ones from Italy that look EXACTLY like Rainbow Brite- except they all have these weird singing implants in them- and they could have green hair or a green or gold dress! They are otherwise the nicest fakies out there.

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

Galacticatt wrote: My favorite are the ones from Italy that look EXACTLY like Rainbow Brite- except they all have these weird singing implants in them- and they could have green hair or a green or gold dress! They are otherwise the nicest fakies out there.

That sounds cool. Could you please link me to a picture and/or information about them? ♥

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

Okay, so as for dolly 2, only thing I can find on her tag is "Blue Box". This name was also in the ebay title. Tag also says New York, if that means anything. ♥

edit: More specificially:
Blue Box
New York
N. Y. 10010

Copyright 1983 Blue Box
Toy factory LTD. Hong Kong

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

Sorry - no idea what your doll is. She looks like a random unlicensed character so she would probably be tough to track down.

As for the green haired and gold dressed Italian Rainbow Brites- I don't seem to have any photos anymore, but they do pop up on ebay quite regularly if you keep an eye out :)

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

Galacticatt wrote:Sorry - no idea what your doll is. She looks like a random unlicensed character so she would probably be tough to track down.

As for the green haired and gold dressed Italian Rainbow Brites- I don't seem to have any photos anymore, but they do pop up on ebay quite regularly if you keep an eye out :)

Thanks anyway. She's a really well made doll though to be honest. From the picture I was worried the body was gonna be really soft and light and not hold up well with the weight of her head. But nope. And I really like her plastic face, yarn hair, and rainbow dress. She feels very much like a Rainbow Brite doll to me.