Rainbow Brite and the Very Brave Day

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Sukey's comment about the illustrations in the new book reminded me that we had not begun a discussion on it yet!

My likes:
-the story
-the classic style artwork
-so much new art, not just reused old poses
-all of the Color Kids being present

My dislikes:
-the shadows in the illustrations (they're too dark, there are too many of them, and they don't reflect the location of the light source)
-the lack of detail, especially in the backgrounds

My could-take-it-or-leave-its:
-the made up words (they slightly reminded me of the tween speak on the new rb.com website, but thankfully aren't nearly that bad or distracting)

What do ya'll think of it?
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

BTW, it's up for sale online now :)

http://shop.hallmark.com/rainbow-brite/

Limit 1 per customer though. Looks like they need to increase production to meet demand!

I had one other thought about the book. I don't recall any of the vintage stories teaching lessons. Do you? They were just fun stories about adventures/crises in Rainbow Land. So it felt a little odd that this was a "lesson" story. I'm hoping the other two will be a bit more...light-hearted I guess? And as my friend Mikel would say - stop making Rainbow Brite out to be a wimp :-P She'll take on a fully grown evil princess, but is scared of an insect? Ummm...no.
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

Cute book- I usually try not to buy merch but this one is tempting...

Starvoyager

Post by Starvoyager »

Interesting, the "scared of bugs" thing makes me think of what some of the Feminist bloggers were worried about with the previous (went absolutely nowhere) RB - more or less stating that the original was a better girl power figure, even by today's standards. Perhaps that same logic still applies with the new material.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Starvoyager wrote:Interesting, the "scared of bugs" thing makes me think of what some of the Feminist bloggers were worried about with the previous (went absolutely nowhere) RB - more or less stating that the original was a better girl power figure, even by today's standards. Perhaps that same logic still applies with the new material.
I would agree with that assessment. And it's good to see you posting again :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Starvoyager

Post by Starvoyager »

Rainbow Brite wrote:I would agree with that assessment. And it's good to see you posting again :)
Thank yas! Glad to be back! :)