Rainbow Brite display at Hallmark

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

So as mentioned in another thread, I called around and found a Hallmark that was "probably" getting Rainbow Brite stuff, (a HUGE Hallmark in Federal Way WA) and the owner agreed to call me when things came in (and put things aside if I wanted them)

FINALLY she got some stuff late last week. She got 2 sets of Itty Bittys, 1 10" Twink (allegedly but I suspect an employee might have bought it), and 1 "Collector set." The Itty set that she did not set aside for me sold instantly. They don't even have a display to put the toys since they are gone before hitting the floor. One of my friends in Canada said that she called three different stores in her area- each one of them got a couple of sets of the Ittys and one or two of the collector sets.

Such low quantities. But I am not familiar with how the Hallmark stores work- so maybe that is typical? I am hoping once the Hallmark.com site has product- they will have a lot.

I am just a little concerned that they under-ordered the entire collection (given that the first online set sold out SO fast)- but hopefully Hallmark gets smart and has more produced.

Otherwise if you are tired of waiting for Hallmark.com and unwilling to pay the scalper prices on ebay- I recommend calling your Hallmarks and asking for the toys. Ask them to put them aside for you- and as Katy recommended in her Twink review- try asking them to ORDER the Rainbow Brite plush for you! It just might work.

When I finally got to the Hallmark with the goods (so far away) it had a nice little display of T-shirts, mugs, magnets, mirror compacts, and a couple other odds and ends.

It was all very cute- but nothing mind blowing. Honestly it looked like the kind of thing you could print for yourself off of one of those sites where you upload your image onto a t-shirt or mug or tote bag (or whathaveyou). But it was nice to see.

I wish the store had ordered more Twinks and Ittys and fewer T-shirts. It irks me that I am probably going to have to go out of my way to drive all the way back to Federal Way just to get the Rainbow Doll and Starlite when they come out... but HOPEFULLY considering how much cuter Twink was in person than his revised prototype- they will be better in person too :D

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Galacticatt wrote:Such low quantities. But I am not familiar with how the Hallmark stores work- so maybe that is typical? I am hoping once the Hallmark.com site has product- they will have a lot.
I don't pretend to do a lot of non-Rainbow-Brite shopping at Hallmark, but my impression is that these low quantities are NOT typical. There are "Limited Edition" Toto and Flying Monkey itty bittys from the Wizard of Oz line out right now, and both stores I went to had plenty of those. Granted, they're not as limited as the RB ones were - but my understanding is that every store gets a few. And there were tons of every other character they were carrying - even plenty of the newest ones from the movie Inside Out.
I am just a little concerned that they under-ordered the entire collection (given that the first online set sold out SO fast)- but hopefully Hallmark gets smart and has more produced.
I'm concerned as well. I suppose only time will tell, but this release has not given us any reason to feel confident. It feels like, yet again, they are undervaluing Rainbow Brite and underestimating her fan base and general appeal. It's got to be frustrating for the casual fan who sees images of the new itty bittys on Instagram, runs to their local store to buy some, only to be told a) they're already sold out, b) they haven't received them yet, or c) who is Rainbow Brite? You shouldn't have to be an uber fan that follows all of the Rainbow Brite sites/pages/social media outlets to have a chance at getting your hands on these items.
When I finally got to the Hallmark with the goods (so far away) it had a nice little display of T-shirts, mugs, magnets, mirror compacts, and a couple other odds and ends.
I couldn't get your image to load, but I know what merchandise you're talking about. They started carrying those items in corporate stores back in March:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H70nBfBdYq4
It irks me that I am probably going to have to go out of my way to drive all the way back to Federal Way just to get the Rainbow Doll and Starlite when they come out... but HOPEFULLY considering how much cuter Twink was in person than his revised prototype- they will be better in person too :D
*crossing fingers and toes*
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

Rainbow Brite wrote:
Galacticatt wrote:Such low quantities. But I am not familiar with how the Hallmark stores work- so maybe that is typical? I am hoping once the Hallmark.com site has product- they will have a lot.
I don't pretend to do a lot of non-Rainbow-Brite shopping at Hallmark, but my impression is that these low quantities are NOT typical. There are "Limited Edition" Toto and Flying Monkey itty bittys from the Wizard of Oz line out right now, and both stores I went to had plenty of those. Granted, they're not as limited as the RB ones were - but my understanding is that every store gets a few. And there were tons of every other character they were carrying - even plenty of the newest ones from the movie Inside Out.

I'm concerned as well. I suppose only time will tell, but this release has not given us any reason to feel confident. It feels like, yet again, they are undervaluing Rainbow Brite and underestimating her fan base and general appeal. It's got to be frustrating for the casual fan who sees images of the new itty bittys on Instagram, runs to their local store to buy some, only to be told a) they're already sold out, b) they haven't received them yet, or c) who is Rainbow Brite? You shouldn't have to be an uber fan that follows all of the Rainbow Brite sites/pages/social media outlets to have a chance at getting your hands on these items.
Yikes- that is what I was afraid of. I hope it isn't too late to revise production and order more... (Although it is possible given how small Hallmark is these days, that they don't even keep track of how fast certain products or moving and revise production orders accordingly...)

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Galacticatt wrote:Yikes- that is what I was afraid of. I hope it isn't too late to revise production and order more... (Although it is possible given how small Hallmark is these days, that they don't even keep track of how fast certain products or moving and revise production orders accordingly...)
The first store that I went to called me on Monday to say they'd gotten more RB items in stock. And the second store I went to notified me that they got a bunch more as well. So it seems that the first shipment was just light for some reason. Maybe there were production/shipping delays? Thankfully that seems to have been righted now :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net