Official Rainbow Brite Archive Pictures

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Watercolor
Admin

Post by Watercolor »

Hi Color Kids,
So, the Rainbow Brite Facebook page is sharing many original images from deep inside the Hallmark Archives. This week they are releasing the original images of Rainbow Brite and the Color Kids!

So far they released Rainbow Brite, Blue Moon (the original design for Buddy Blue) Indigo, and Scarlet Rose (the original design for Red Butler)

If you haven't seen them and want to see and comment on them as they are released check out the Official Facebook Page for Rainbow Brite

We will add more pictures here as they come out too, but we encourage you to see them too!

Now, what are you thoughts on these original designs? Blue Moon has a moon on her cheek. What are some other element symbols you think would have been cute?

Discuss!
Attachments
archives01.png
archives01.png (397.98 KiB) Viewed 3626 times

Amabilis999

Post by Amabilis999 »

These original designs are adorable. I think Blue Moon looks cute. Although her gimmick is similar to Moonglow’s, I wish she was canon somehow. I don’t mind the changes that they made though, and I’m glad that we have Red Butler.

I also like the idea of having the symbols on the Colour Kids’ cheeks. It reminds me of the Cutie Marks in My Little Pony or the Tummy Symbols from the Care Bears. The sideways lightning bolt on Stromy’s hair pin, or the sliver crescent moon on Moonglow’s belt would make great symbols. They could have kept the tulip on Tickled Pink’s check as well. I think they might have removed the symbols because it would be tedious to draw them every time the Colour Kids appeared (especially since there’s so many of them).

Although Murky isn’t a Colour Kid, I think it would have been a cute idea if he had that thunder cloud symbol (like the one in the back on his cape) on his cheek.

Clinozoisite

Post by Clinozoisite »

These are so neat!

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

I LOOOOOVE the concept art and archived art they've been posting! So cool that someone is unearthing this stuff! I only wish a bit more in the way of explanation went with the sketches, it would be so cool to hear the thought processes behind the character designs!

I suspect the art above was concept art for the Dress-UP series maybe. Crazy that Red is a girl! (Love it actually, hehe). That first Rainbow looks a lot like Katy's prototype.
http://www.rainbowbrite.net/prototyperb.jpg

I wish they'd post some images of the prototypes I have :D

Here was some more I saved earlier on - check out Palomino Starlite!

These I think were concepts for the first re-boot (1992 thereabouts) Although I love that there was ultimately some more variety in skin tones in the final release... I like these fashions a lot more :D

ImageImage