About Restoring Murky and Lurky Dolls

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Amabilis999

Post by Amabilis999 »

Hi everyone,

I recently got both the Murky and Lurky dolls. They are great, but I was wondering about how to restore them. They are in pretty good condition for the most part, but Lurky’s sneakers are a little dirty and there’s a little bit of dirt on Murky’s face (mostly on his nose and cheeks). I was wondering if there’s any way to clean them up without damaging them.

I was also wondering if it’s possible to rearrange Lurky’s antenna, because they’re a little lopsided.

Here some photos for reference:
Murky.png
Murky.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1027 times
Lurky.png
Lurky.png (1.75 MiB) Viewed 1027 times
Friends.png
Friends.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1027 times

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

I have washed both of these dolls in a pillow case- on "hand wash" cycle- in the washing machine.

As for the marks on Murky's face- probably soap water and a wash cloth will help. If it doesn't come off- you can try a magic eraser, which is pretty effective erasing stains on my little ponies (same material).

I don't think the antennae on Lurky can be "fixed" they all come lopsided like that. If you experiment you will see that they are on wires- but it is just tucked into his big squishy head. Given that he is squishy and stuffed all over- there is really no good way of anchoring his antennae, even with drastic modifications.

Amabilis999

Post by Amabilis999 »

Galacticatt wrote:I have washed both of these dolls in a pillow case- on "hand wash" cycle- in the washing machine.

As for the marks on Murky's face- probably soap water and a wash cloth will help. If it doesn't come off- you can try a magic eraser, which is pretty effective erasing stains on my little ponies (same material).

I don't think the antennae on Lurky can be "fixed" they all come lopsided like that. If you experiment you will see that they are on wires- but it is just tucked into his big squishy head. Given that he is squishy and stuffed all over- there is really no good way of anchoring his antennae, even with drastic modifications.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've just cleaned my Murky Dismal doll with the magic eraser. He's looks great now and his skin is a lot brighter.

I haven't tried washing Lurky with a pillow case yet. The wishing machine back at home doesn't have a "hand wash" option but it does have a "delicate" option. I wonder if this option would be effective in cleaning him up without damaging him?

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

The delicate setting should work fine :) Just be sure not to put him in the drier! His fur melts just like the Sprites' fur.
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Amabilis999

Post by Amabilis999 »

Rainbow Brite wrote:The delicate setting should work fine :) Just be sure not to put him in the drier! His fur melts just like the Sprites' fur.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

For Lurky, I was wondering what temperature the water should be so I can wash him without damaging him.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Amabilis999 wrote:For Lurky, I was wondering what temperature the water should be so I can wash him without damaging him.
Others correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any water temp will damage him. If he's really dirty/musty, I would go with a hotter setting. If he's only slightly dirty, cool water should do the trick. It's only hot air that melts the fur :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net