"NEW" Rainbow Brite Ornament

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

It had already been announced that a classic style ornament was coming from Hallmark this year. But no pictures had been released yet, even though the 2013 ornament was shown on the concept pages of the Hallmark store catalogs:
NewHallmarkMerch.jpg
NewHallmarkMerch.jpg (73.53 KiB) Viewed 6693 times
But Hallmark just recently sent out early Dream Books to their Keepsake Ornament Club Members and the "new" Rainbow Brite ornament was inside it. Look familiar?
HallmarkOrnament_resized.jpg
HallmarkOrnament_resized.jpg (24.44 KiB) Viewed 6693 times
I can't believe they're releasing the EXACT SAME ornament two years later!! I've NEVER heard of them releasing a duplicate ornament before. Have any of you? This is just beyond lazy to me.
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Amabilis999

Post by Amabilis999 »

*Sigh* How disappointing. Hallmark tends to use stock art for their merchandise; probably so they can save money and time. So, I can kind of understand Hallmark’s reason for re-releasing the ornament. Although I do admit it’s still a very lazy thing for them to do.

Speaking of this current merchandise line, I hope the new book will include some new art. Overall, I’m still very grateful for this new merchandise line and I’m happy to hear that most of the products for this line are high quality. However, when Hallmark does these “nostalgic merchandise lines”, I would like to see some new art based on the old designs instead of relying mostly on stock art that was drawn for generation 1. It’s not like I dislike the art in gen 1 but I would like to see more variety in the art that is used in new Rainbow Brite products. It would help the new merch stand out from past gens.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

This was the response I received from the Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments Facebook page when I asked whether or not it was common practice to release duplicate figures:

"Katy, it is not common practice, but there is more Rainbow Brite fun coming to Hallmark Gold Crown this year and we wanted to make sure that we had a Keepsake Ornament available for those that wanted to capture their memories with an ornament."

I totally get the part about wanting to have an ornament available along with the new dolls, itty bittys and book. That's good business sense for a store that's primarily known for its ornaments. But really? They couldn't devote a little bit of time and money to come up with a new ornament design? They can't possibly expect to sell many, since most fans already have one.
Amabilis999 wrote:*Sigh* How disappointing. Hallmark tends to use stock art for their merchandise; probably so they can save money and time. So, I can kind of understand Hallmark’s reason for re-releasing the ornament. Although I do admit it’s still a very lazy thing for them to do.
Very lazy indeed :(
Speaking of this current merchandise line, I hope the new book will include some new art. Overall, I’m still very grateful for this new merchandise line and I’m happy to hear that most of the products for this line are high quality. However, when Hallmark does these “nostalgic merchandise lines”, I would like to see some new art based on the old designs instead of relying mostly on stock art that was drawn for generation 1. It’s not like I dislike the art in gen 1 but I would like to see more variety in the art that is used in new Rainbow Brite products. It would help the new merch stand out from past gens.
I'm 100% with you on that! But knowing now what they did with the ornament...my hopes are not high for new book art :\
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Sukey

Post by Sukey »

How sad is that? All the fans were expecting a new ornament :(
:rainbow: Sukey

idistractedyou

Post by idistractedyou »

I actually would love a Twink as Santa ornament given that it's a stock image they have available on Zazzle it's highly doable. I was hoping given the new series for a newer style ornament and a classic one as well. A hallmark near me started carrying some of the Zazzle merchandise and I have to say a coffee mug was tempting but it just wasn't well colorful enough for my tastes. Granted as a male fan of the series the amount of merchandise I buy is less as I can't exactly go around wearing girl's shirts (I could but I don't believe others should have to suffer.) I am excited about the new merchandise and hope to see more though.

Forgive the rambling nature of my reply my coffee has not kicked in yet...

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

How sad that it's the same one. They could have done ANYTHING else and I would have been happy.

I have never heard of Hallmark re-releasing an ornament- doesn't that defeat the fact that it is supposed to be collectible? Very lazy indeed.

Plus- of the two most recent Rainbow Brite ornaments, the one with Starlite and Rainbow was way cuter. Wish they'd gone with that one if they were going to go with a repeat. :(

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Agreed Galacticatt!!

Here's the other response I received from Hallmark when I asked if it was common practice to re-release ornaments (as I'd never heard of that happening before)..

"You are correct that the 2015 Rainbow Brite ornament is the same design that we issued in 2013. It's not common practice, but we do bring back Keepsake Ornaments on occasion. In this case, we wanted to include a Keepsake Ornament with the assortment of other Rainbow Brite products that will be new to Hallmark Gold Crown stores this year."

And then other Hallmark Keepsake ornament collectors had this to say:

"It is common in recent years to see them re-issue stuff or repaint the same ornament."

"They have done it before, not very often though. And I don't think with a character before. But like this year they have the Cozy Coupe and 64 pack of crayons. They have had both of them before."

So it's not unheard of, but is not super common. But yes, I would MUCH rather have a re-release of the 2004 ornament. *sigh*
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Here's the Dream Book page from this year:
DreamBookPage.jpg
DreamBookPage.jpg (128.94 KiB) Viewed 6601 times
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Imagi

Post by Imagi »

I collect Hallmark Ornaments. And outside of reprints and the occasional remake of the Star Wars and Star Trek vehicles they are different year after year.

And while Hallmark has had many hits on ornaments there have been misses. The paint job was weird, voices were incorrect, music was garbled..etc.

This makes the oops list. Hallmark makes a big deal about bringing out new RB merchandise with the original iconic art style and everything this year and then they do this. This Rainbow Brite design was just okay in the first place, but now they repeat it?

Normally I would get 2 of the Rainbow Brite ornaments, but this time I've got to pass..I already have this one. :(

With the popularity of Frozen, last year Hallmark moved the Elsa ornament meant for this year to November last year. Perhaps if there are enough comments from unhappy fans, Hallmark might do something similar? Maybe release a Limited Edition Rainbow Brite?

(Limited edition Hallmark ornaments are 2-8 per store and one per person and that's it.)

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Imagi wrote:Normally I would get 2 of the Rainbow Brite ornaments, but this time I've got to pass..I already have this one. :(
I think a lot of people will have the same reaction. Why buy an ornament you already own? And the 2013 ornament broke SO easily. I can't imagine they've improved the quality at all.
With the popularity of Frozen, last year Hallmark moved the Elsa ornament meant for this year to November last year. Perhaps if there are enough comments from unhappy fans, Hallmark might do something similar? Maybe release a Limited Edition Rainbow Brite?

(Limited edition Hallmark ornaments are 2-8 per store and one per person and that's it.)
That would be nice, but Rainbow Brite isn't nearly as popular as Frozen :(
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net