Zazzle and Redbubble

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
dragonfly

Zazzle and Redbubble

Post by dragonfly »

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered any of the Rainbow Brite merchandise on Zazzle or Redbubble?

There's some extremely cute items for sale, but I've never ordered from a site like this, and I'm not even sure if it's legal?? Like aren't there copyright issues that they could be violating??

I really would like to place a couple of orders, but I do also feel like I should stick to legitimate merchandise.

Thanks for your input everyone!!!

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Zazzle and Redbubble

Post by Rainbow Brite »

The merchandise on Zazzle is officially licensed by Hallmark, so there's definitely nothing illegal about ordering from them :) Some of the Zazzle items (t-shirts, mousepads, mugs and magnets) are even available in select Hallmark stores at the moment. Check the main page of www.rainbowbrite.net for more details on that :)

RedBubble merchandise is not licensed. It's fan art, so different laws apply. It's kinda like the unofficial Rainbow Brite costumes that have been sold for the last several years - they look just like Rainbow Brite, but they call it "Rainbow Girl Costume" or something similar. They make sure not to actually call it Rainbow Brite.

Teepublic is a site similar to RedBubble, and it also had several Rainbow Brite t-shirts available, but Hallmark claimed copyright infringement so they had to remove all of the designs. I'm not sure how RedBubble is getting away with it while Teepublic is not...but (at least for now) they are. But there's still nothing illegal about ordering from sites like this. If anyone's going to get in trouble, it's the site itself for offering the items for sale - not you :)

Hope that helps!
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

dragonfly

Zazzle and Redbubble

Post by dragonfly »

Ohhh okay!
That totally clears everything up, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain the difference between all these different sites. I love finding unique items and I adore what the fans come up with, just as long as they are going about it the right way ;)