Scene difference in the episode “Chasing Rainbows”

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Amabilis999

Post by Amabilis999 »

I was looking at the Italian dub for Rainbow Brite so I can get ideas for making gifs and take some screen caps (since the Italian episodes have a better picture quality than the English episodes that are on youtube.) I noticed that there was a plot point difference between the Italian dub and the English version in the episode “Chasing Rainbows”.
In the English version, The Rainbow Brite robot got stuck when she was talking to Twink, Murky beaten up the controller to get it to work.
However, in the Italian dub, Murky throws a stone at the wind-up key to get the robot to work again.

So is there an explanation for the two different scenes? I know that sometimes dubs cut out scenes but both scenes were animated in the same style as the rest of the episode. Neither of them looked out of place, as least as far as I can tell.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

So you're saying that the Italian DVDs have two separate video tracks for the episodes? One in Italian, and one in English? That does seem odd. Most DVDs will have one video track, but multiple audio (language) tracks to go along with it. I just checked the episode on the Mexican DVDs, and it has him throwing the rock. I couldn't find a scene where he was beating the controller. Hmmmm.... :unsure:
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Wow, my memory is horrible. Renee reminded me that we discussed this very scene in BriteCast episode #4...lol! She made a video that shows the different versions from different countries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeHoBc4TVfg[/video]

So cool, yet so weird! Maybe in the US it was considered too violent to throw a rock towards someone's head? Even if they're a robot? lol
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Amabilis999

Post by Amabilis999 »

Rainbow Brite wrote:Wow, my memory is horrible. Renee reminded me that we discussed this very scene in BriteCast episode #4...lol! She made a video that shows the different versions from different countries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeHoBc4TVfg[/video]

So cool, yet so weird! Maybe in the US it was considered too violent to throw a rock towards someone's head? Even if they're a robot? lol
Ah, that’s pretty neat, thanks for the video.

I’m pretty surprised that the remote control beating scene was exclusively in the U.S version as an edit since Rainbow Brite was intended for an American audience.

But then again, I think Murky throwing a rock at the wind-up key makes more sense plot wise than just beating the remote. The controller one seems like it worked purely out of luck. Despite of this, I think the animation when Murky beats up the remote is funny to watch.