About whether the new show succeeds

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
IndigoJoy

Post by IndigoJoy »

I am so tired of all the people on Facebook who post about how much they hate the new show, especially when they haven't seen it.

They say it's not the "real" Rainbow Brite. Look at it this way: a lot of people write fanfic and draw fanart and cosplay. Should those be diminished because they're not the "real" Rainbow Brite? What if you look at the new show as though a bunch of fans of the original show got together and said, "Hey Hallmark, let us try again?"

The thing people are missing is this: If the new Rainbow Brite fails, they have gained nothing, except maybe another chance to lock away our dreams of bringing Rainbow Brite back to life. But if it succeeds, there is a greater chance we will get more merchandise based on the original Rainbow Brite!

Look at MLP:FIM. It's huge. And I'm sure partly because of that success, stores like ModCloth are carrying merchandise based on the original.

Don't you see? We will probably never again get more classic Rainbow Brite episodes. The market is too small; it will mainly only appeal to people who are already fans. And people would still find things to complain about. They're trying to draw new interest and new fans to our beloved show by making it appeal to today's kids. More attention is not a bad thing!

Sorry for the rant. Just... Stop hating on Rainbow Brite, you might ruin it for the rest of us. I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

Oh. And to those who say their childhood is dying? A bit melodramatic, aren't we?
Upon the Rainbow, my rainbow blog.

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

There will always be people who will complain hate on every new incarnation because it is not similar enough to the original.

MLP:FIM is very popular, but actually it took quite a while for most of the older pony collectors to like the new show or the new toys and in fact many still really hate them both! The biggest fan-base for MLP:FIM seems to be a new fan base of primarily 13-22 boys/men which was surprising to many.

I do hope that Rainbow Brite becomes more popular again, but I can't see how that is possible given the extremely limited run on Feeln. I think for it to take off it will have to be picked up by a big name wants the franchise for marketing reasons... (and I do hope that happens but am not super optimistic)

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

AMEN KAT!! I wish every hater would read this post...lol. I do think many will come around in time...but will it be too late by then?

I really think that this mini-series was a test run...a pilot if you will...testing the waters to see if there is a big enough market to justify a larger expenditure on more episodes. In this economy, you have to admit that it's a smart business move, even if it's tough for us fans to wait and worry. But at the same time, it encourages us to band together and support this project as much as we can. And I've been encouraged by the number of fans I've seen falling in love with RB all over again due to the new show :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

I think it was a kind of "test run" too- and I think that given a small budget and a limited number of people working on it, it was surprisingly good! I hope that a network or someone looking to make toys using the license (say Mattel??) picks it up now!

IndigoJoy

Post by IndigoJoy »

A quote from Nick, one of the animators:
“If Rainbow Brite’s fans watch the new version and think about bringing back 80s designs it wouldn’t work. Style in animation has changed dramatically since the 80s”.
From the Feeln blog: http://blog.feeln.com/2014/11/24/meet-t ... rite-team/
Upon the Rainbow, my rainbow blog.

Dialga-Brite

Post by Dialga-Brite »

I really liked it, as a plesant surprise.
It was definitely different, but still just as innocent.
At first when RB started saying stuff like "omg" I immediately feared they were gonna make her into a little brat, or like a "Massie Block" type. But I was completely wrong. It was quite clear that she was sincere and valued the magic of friendship (and also energetic and stuff). As someone who often has to deal with mean people online, who misuse words like "awesome" in the name of the opposite, it made me feel really happy to see that she actually knew the true definition of such words. Words of encouragement towards someone who is feeling down, as opposed to the bullies who are ganging up on someone, using it towards each other to boost their egos and make the victim, who never gets told it, feel bad. Of course, it also showed in general that that "modern day teenage girl speak" type of thing doesn't have to be bad.They did an awesome job at taking a type of personality quality that is often bad, and made it oppositely good instead.

---ADMIN EDIT---

(Link to pirated copies of the episodes removed.)
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

I was watching @Midnight the other night and loved Chris Hardwick's rant regarding the new Ghostbusters movie that's in the works. In response to one of the thousands of fans who whined "Another childhood memory ruined!" He had this to say:

"No Mister Staypuft, that's not how memories work! If you love the original movie, you're still allowed to love it. Isn't it possible that maybe the new films cannot affect you in the same way because the old ones you saw when you were 11 years old...and you're not 11 years old anymore? So stop acting like you're 11 years old and get with the times!"

So appropriate for many Rainbow Brite fans too :P

I won't link directly to the video here because it has some 'colorful' language in it, but his entire rant is available on cc.com.
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net