Episode 2: The Ring is the Thing

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

I came here to comment on episode 2, only to find that no one had started a topic for it yet! So I started one this time around. We now have spoiler tags to use, so please use those when divulging things that others have not yet seen. You'll find the tags when you make a post, right below the B for Bold button.

I finally got a chance to watch episode 2 last night, and I did like it better than episode one. Some of the issues from last episode weren't there, ie
Spoiler: show
Rainbow letting Brian help her because she can't handle the battle
Stormy this time cracked me up, and from the preview from the last time, I loved Stormy's sarcasm. I don't think I much mind this reboot Stormy one bit, but that's me. We do need Skydancer though. He would make it even better!

Now onto spoilers:
We did get a preview of the Color Kids and them speaking. For the brief bit, I didn't think it was too bad. Definitely hoping to see more of them in the future. The color console room was pretty neat as well. I didn't like how Mr. Glitters was made to seem more incompetent, especially with the console equipment. I guess that's what comes of making him more sprite-like, but still.

Brian and his hamster.... o.O But Lurky was so cute with him! He still retains some that bumbling oaf personality. Murky still needs to speak more. He comes off as simply a henceman, and I think he could do much better than that.

Love the dark princess though. Don't mind her character one bit, and I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what she plans to do, and how far she gets with said plan. Her character design reminds me of someone, but I'm not sure who.

I was disappointed to see Stormy go back to the good side so easily... was hoping for at least another ep or so before she switched. It was good to see how she and Rainbow could work together in the end, and that they are closer in this reboot than they were in the last series.

Also, that reference to the ring and Spectra... does anyone think we may see Krys in a future episode? Wonder what happened to him after he delivered it? Or did he fall in love and marry Brian's mother? It is really weird that it would be in Brian's house otherwise, unless Brian found it somewhere along the way.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

idistractedyou

Post by idistractedyou »

This episode definetly had more action and less exposition that the first episode. Okay now spoilers:

So apaprently this version of Rainbow's powers function like a Green Lantern ring allowing projections, constructs (Rainbow Disc and Lasso), and concussive blasts. I did feel Stormy's transition felt a bit rushed. Though it was welcome. The Dark Princess is interesting and I wonder what her plans are now that she has the Ring of Hallowed Light, From the preview it does look like she wants to return Rainbow Land to it's former "glory". Molly Ringwald does the humor and menace of her personality spot on. The throw-away line about the Warrior from Spectra bringing the ring but not hearing from him for a long time was interesting. I theorize that Krys is Brian's father and it would explain him being able to "charge" the Star Sprinkle in Episode 1. Also an Easter Egg in the episode pretty much confirmed it for me. I am dissapointed that we only have one episode left.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Sorry I'm late. I was at the dentist on Friday, and gone all weekend to attend a friend's wake. But here are my thoughts :)
Chibi Rachy:

I hope we get to hear more from the Color Kids in the future too. Red is voiced by the same guy as Murky - who is the same guy who voiced He-Man in the 2002 He-Man reboot :) I'm a fan. Canary Yellow is voiced by the same lady who voices Stormy. And Buddy was voiced by one of the animation guys :D I thought they all did a great job.

Mr. Glitters' incompetence was pretty hilarious to me :) Twink was no genius in the original either. He was just a really hard worker. It still remains to be seen whether or not he still is.

Brian is such a nerd...I love it :D Between eating lunch in the library and proclaiming that his hamster is the king of all hamsters...haha...he's adorable. Lurky is still adorable and bumbling. And I bet Murky will speak more once DP is out of the way.

The Dark Princess reminds me of someone whom I can't place too. But I really love her redesign :) I wouldn't have minded Stormy taking a bit longer to return to the good side either, but I'm not opposed to how and when it happened. With only three episodes to tell a complex story in, I understand them speeding that process up. And yeah, I like how closely she and Rainbow began working together. It's about time Stormy got the screentime she deserves :D

When she said "Hero from Spectra," my mind immediately went to Krys. I sure hope we get to see him later on! Although my theory is that Brian is actually Brian Jr. and Brian Sr. married the 80's Rainbow Brite, making this new RB a new wearer of the Color Belt ;) But I really have no idea.

idistractedyou:

That's a good comparison re: Green Lantern. I really like all of the new things she can do with her powers. I equated it to She-Ra's sword, which could turn into anything she needed it to be.

Just for clarification, the close captioning confirmed that it's "The Ring of Hallow Light"...which is a bit odd considering that Hallow is a noun. In the rare instances that it's a verb or adjective, it doesn't make sense. Not sure if it's a grammatical error or a reference to something that I can't find. But either way, it's nice to have a new plot device to obsess over :) I totally want a replica ring!

I didn't notice Brian's bike looking like On-X until another fan pointed it out to me :) That's so cool! But somehow I'm having trouble picturing Krys being his father. Krys and Brian never met in the original, so why would he name his son Brian and dress him like the original Brian? So many questions!! I can't wait for episode #3!!
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

I liked it! I think it was better than the first episode- I am liking the Stormy and Princess character development (although agree with some of the notes above)

Robert Teague

Post by Robert Teague »

"Call him George." I should have expected that one, but it was still a groaner. Slipped in for us older fans, I've no doubt.
"Magnets are cool, too..." --Ruby Rose, RWBY

Robert Teague

Post by Robert Teague »

Did anybody else notice in Brian's room, left of the closet door, was a poster of Batman?
"Magnets are cool, too..." --Ruby Rose, RWBY

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Robert Teague wrote:Did anybody else notice in Brian's room, left of the closet door, was a poster of Batman?
It reminded me of a Donnie Darko poster...lol
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net