COLOR KIDS! and villians

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Moonxtal

COLOR KIDS! and villians

Post by Moonxtal »

ok wow so i'm having a love hate thing going on... let's start the LUV
Red Butler
YES! YES YES! He's missing the cape but... oh well NOT BAD NOT BAD AT ALL! I'm glad the puffy arms are gone but over all they kept him pretty spot on! I'm pretty bummed they don't have the star elements in their outfits anymore... but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Lala Orange
Another great redesign! She still has the sassy beret and the skirt I love it! I do wish her eyes were brown tho, it'd match better. but tiny nit pick

Canary Yellow
They kept her wings! I love the updated short haircut! I'll miss the leg warmers tho (they were my favorite part of canary) I do hope they keep her ballet flats tho :3

Patty O'Green
NICE VERY NICE! I do wish they would have given her green eyes (duh) but oh well. I also would like to see her have freckles again too!

Buddy Blue
SPOT ON! Great working in the athletic elements into his redesign. I love it!

Indigo
*Squeals of delight* YESSSSSSS! I love that they're keeping her 'harem girl' style of clothing, but I do kinda miss her baggy pants :P other than that she is soooo cute!

and on to the MEH...

Shy Violet
Why?! Why did they change her when the others were so spot on!? Make the hair that light violet and in a bun and she'd be perfect! other than that I guess I can deal... but it still irks me they changed her so dramatically!

now on to the HATE!
Murky
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! omg he's sooo creepy looking! I can sort of see what they're trying to do with the evil scientist/inventor but man they went into the wrong direction. I guess he's more of a threat now? but honestly he's too creepy... and the purple around his eyes... and the helmet that's some how huge but doesn't cover his bulbous cranium... and his face structure in general is so sharp and angled... look at that pointy chin! it's all wrong! YUCK YUCK YUCK. the old murky was a 'bad guy' (and i use the term loosely as he was too much of an idiot to be a threat) but a bumbling loveable bad guy... like, you could hug him!... I wouldn't hug this...not at all!

(i'll add more as more is posted)

Robert Teague

COLOR KIDS! and villians

Post by Robert Teague »

For myself, I approve of all the Kid's redesigns. They are simpler than the old ones and therefore easier to animate. Also, they show that the new creators know and respect the source material!

As for Violet, I especially approve of her. I predicted years ago that a good redesign would make her Asian. Besides, what other Kid could pull off that change?

If one wanted to increase ethnic diversity, how about making Canary Hispanic, and either Red or Buddy black?

Murky... well, I'm not happy either, but like you say, it makes his motivation a bit more obvious. And I prefer a competent villain. He was competent in the first few episodes. Heck, he came close to murduring Rainbow and Starlite in Peril in the Pits.

Otherwise there is no need for a hero; he can sit back and watch the bad guys self-destruct. Like Dr. Drakken in Kim Possible, or Simon in Trollz; they started out pretty nasty, and devolved to figures of fun.

And while that might be funny, it gets old and makes for bad and lazy storytelling.
"Magnets are cool, too..." --Ruby Rose, RWBY

Galacticatt

COLOR KIDS! and villians

Post by Galacticatt »

The kids are cute- I'm REALLY happy that they re-designed them but didn't lose the way they look, if that makes sense. I mean, they are still wearing their traditional outfits. I love that.

Someone mentioned in the other thread that Stormy was going to be in the show somewhere? Can someone tell me more about that? Where is that info? Any previews yet as to what she or the Princess will look like?

Rainbow Brite
Admin

COLOR KIDS! and villians

Post by Rainbow Brite »

I'm happy with all of the Color Kids except for Shy Violet as well. I dislike the color of her hair. It's slightly more purple than black, but only barely. I dislike the Asian stereotype that will now be placed on her (whether she ends up being the brainy one in this new show or not). And I dislike the fact that her dress is more blue than purple. I'm glad that they included some more racial diversity, but I wish it had been put on a different kid.

As for Murky and Lurky - they are quite different from the originals, and that's a bit of a shock. But if they are more competent villains this time around, their new looks would make sense. I really feel that I need to see them move and hear them talk before I can judge further.

And here's the link to the Stormy image again, just in case others didn't see it as well:

http://instagram.com/p/uMdArsFw9B/

I can't wait to see more of her :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

idistractedyou

COLOR KIDS! and villians

Post by idistractedyou »

The sharp angles on Murky may be intentional. The Color Kids and Rainbow are curvy and soft as kids should be. Murky and Lurky seem to have much "sharper" features. It's an old Disney Animation concept that suggests the villains should be the opposite of the hero. (Notice which "gloomy" character doesn't have sharper features...)

Murky's redesign isn't horrible the white lab coat adds some needed "color" to his otherwise gray outfit. I'm not a huge fan of the Lurky redesign which surfaced today but I am wondering if we will get back-story on him. (As in whether we will find out he was once a normal sprite that was Gloomed by Murky or the Dark Princess.

Maki

COLOR KIDS! and villians

Post by Maki »

Shy Violet's hair looks close to Idigo's. What about Lurky?

Robert Teague

COLOR KIDS! and villians

Post by Robert Teague »

Lurky not having a nose is jolting. I think he should still have a bulbous one, if a lot smaller than the original, but it would detract from a more evil look.

He doesn't seem to have antennae, either. I guess they want to distance him from the sprites.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

COLOR KIDS! and villians

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Robert Teague wrote:Lurky not having a nose is jolting. I think he should still have a bulbous one, if a lot smaller than the original, but it would detract from a more evil look.

He doesn't seem to have antennae, either. I guess they want to distance him from the sprites.
I'm not sure what you mean. I see both a nose and antennae on Lurky :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Robert Teague

COLOR KIDS! and villians

Post by Robert Teague »

Well, A nose is there, but it's small and straight, nothing at all like the original's.

I looked at the picture with Stormy in it, and didn't see any antennae. Guess I'll open it in Paint.net and increase the brightness. My eyes ain't what they used to be, youngun'. ;)

Galacticatt

COLOR KIDS! and villians

Post by Galacticatt »

Stormy is super cute!

Lurky and Murky are not very cute, but I guess they are more evil than they used to be?

when will the FIGURES come out??? :D