Thoughts for people who are not interested in the reboot

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
idistractedyou

Post by idistractedyou »

Any long property or series that has been around for a while is going to have it's share of fans. As fans we are loyal to characters that we connect with or connect us to a time in our lives. I know that some in the community have mixed or negative feelings about the reboot and redesign.

Your feelings are valid and nothing can ever take your enjoyment of Rainbow Brite or Rainbowland's residents away from you. What the reboot is doing is exposing these characters in a contemporary way to a new generation of children. If it does well we may finally see an official DVD release of the original series. Look at the reissue of the original MLP series on DVD sets with a lower price point after the success of FiM. A release which may lead to a new generation discovering the Rainbow Brite we came to love.

Series and characters are often redesigned or rebooted. Be they cartoons like Rainbow Brite or those from folk-lore or fairy tales. These redesigns often exist side by side with their inspiration. For an example of this take Jake and the Neverland Pirates. Captain Hook as featured on there is different from his depiction in other media. A friend's daughter enjoys both version of "Mr. Hook". Another example look at how many adults enjoy Disney fairy tale films as well as Once Upon A Time or the Vertigo comic series Fables. Both can be enjoyed but in different ways.

I know some are disappointed that original VAs are not returning or may not have been asked to but that does not mean they won't be at some point in the future. It is not unheard of for shows to have VAs do a cameo appearance sometimes as an alternate version of a character they voiced.

Being fans of the series we do have to remember that we are by no means obligated to like every interpretation of a character or show. Those new versions cannot take away the enjoyment those we grew up or fell in love with gave us. For example when a long-term writer ended his run on the comic series Green Lantern I chose to stop reading as I felt the stories I wanted to read were done. In my mind any changes after that do not count. Regardless of your thoughts on the reboot it does not make any of us greater or lesser fans of Rainbow Brite.

BabyDoll

Post by BabyDoll »

This was extremely well-written. Thank you for posting it!

Without the reboot, I wouldn't have been reminded to come back to this website and remember how much Rainbow Brite meant to me. I'm very thankful that Rainbow Brite is staying in people's minds.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

I agree with BabyDoll. That was very well written :) *applauds*
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

PocusPossum

Post by PocusPossum »

At last, after reading so many comments online that appear to come from a bunch of spoiled brats, an element of sanity! :)
If you will come back
Baby you know
you'll never do wrong

"Since You Been Gone" - Rainbow

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

PocusPossum wrote:At last, after reading so many comments online that appear to come from a bunch of spoiled brats, an element of sanity! :)
You ain't lyin!! lol :lol: Welcome to the forums :bg:
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Robert Teague

Post by Robert Teague »

I agree-- very well written.

But even if I didn't like anything about the new version, I would still give it a chance. Heck, I was going to give the last version a chance, if they had done anything with it, and I hated the awful Flash animation.

As I said elsewhere, this time around the creators know and respect the original, and really, if one considers only the content, the changes have been more cosmetic than anything else. The essence is still there.

To me, this is what RB would be if it had been created today, instead of 30 years ago. To this point, I'm very happy. (And having fought clinical depression since 1996, this is a welcome mood booster.)
"Magnets are cool, too..." --Ruby Rose, RWBY

dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

Robert Teague wrote:I agree-- very well written.

But even if I didn't like anything about the new version, I would still give it a chance. Heck, I was going to give the last version a chance, if they had done anything with it, and I hated the awful Flash animation.

As I said elsewhere, this time around the creators know and respect the original, and really, if one considers only the content, the changes have been more cosmetic than anything else. The essence is still there.

To me, this is what RB would be if it had been created today, instead of 30 years ago. To this point, I'm very happy. (And having fought clinical depression since 1996, this is a welcome mood booster.)

I have also been living with depression and I am Bipolar, and there's a "few other things" going on,,,so for me, I have always gone to my comfort movies to make me feel better. I used to have a tape of ALL of the Rainbow Brite episodes, and I would watch the tape repeatedly pretty much every day for a long time. I still have the tape, just no tape player now. It's weird how things from my childhood make me feel better. But I totally understand what you mean.