Its NOT Rainbow Brite

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Twink

Its NOT Rainbow Brite

Post by Twink »

Perhaps I am wrong, but it would appear after watching the first episode of the NEW Rainbow Brite, something was not quite right so I popped over to FB to see what was going on and it was not pretty. It made me smile as I read how people loved the original character. How the new version, "sucked" and even worse. Hallmark may have forgotten us, the voices of the show. They may have forgotten the "fans" who have made the show a classic, but one thing is for sure, the generations of fans you have loved this show have not forgotten anything and hold this new version up to the original and find it lacking.

As Always,
Robbie Lee aka Twink..

Robert Teague

Its NOT Rainbow Brite

Post by Robert Teague »

Hi, Robbie! Nice to meet you! By coincidence, I was called Robbie when I was young. I never answered to Bob or Bobby.

I was 29 in 1984, so I was never part of the show's target audience. I've thought about it over the years since, and have come to a few conclusions about why RB appealed to me so much. (My wife, not so much; she tolerates my cartoon fandoms with an eye roll and a smile. ;) )

I'm a science geek, and have always found light and color a fascinating study. (Were you aware there is a scientific jounal tltled "Color"?) Having a cartoon that used them as a main theme was great!

Because of my science interests, I could interpret thngs like the Color Belt and the Color Console in terms of high technology instead of magic. My keen interest in astronomy and astrophysics let me take clues from the series and movie and develop a more realistic picture of RB's universe. On Katy's old mailing list we had the Rainbowland Science Team, made up of the science geeks who were fans.

I also have a fondness for shows with a cast of teammates. W.i.t.c.h., Winx Club, Trollz, Kim Possible, the Tinker Bell movies, and latest RWBY. Rainbow Brite fits right in there. In contrast, I never cared for the original MLP, or Strawberry Shortcake, or Care Bears, or Moon Dreamers.

Is this new series really Rainbow Brite?

It's a fair comparison, I think, to ask "Are the new Star Trek movies really Star Trek?" The Enterprise is different, but it's the same ship. The actors are different, but the characters are the same. Does that make it something else?

It's a tricky question, and one that each fan has to decide for themselves. This new series feels right to me, but I want to get a few episodes under my belt before deciding.

I think it would be great to have you back on the series. Have you talked to your agent about it?
"Magnets are cool, too..." --Ruby Rose, RWBY

Galacticatt

Its NOT Rainbow Brite

Post by Galacticatt »

I wish there weren't so many people mean on the facebook page about how much they hate the new reboot. I mean it is not necessarily what WE would have wanted, but we are obviously not the market, and honestly I am just grateful that there is a reboot that looks anything like the original Rainbow Brite.

At least the cartoon looks watchable, unlike that horrible flash animation that looks like a child designed and animated it- that is STILL up on Rainbowbrite.com (they so need to update that...)

IndigoJoy

Its NOT Rainbow Brite

Post by IndigoJoy »

I don't understand why you're hanging around if you hate it so much, Robbie. Or at least your husband seems to hate it based on his FB comments. I wonder if you had been asked to do voices in this one if your opinion might be different.
Upon the Rainbow, my rainbow blog.

Summer Butterfly

Its NOT Rainbow Brite

Post by Summer Butterfly »

Sometimes classic shouldn't have never been touched for me personaly if you're going to make a movie out of a classic or even have them make it a comeback make sure it's the same story line like for insteants the ThunderKats I feel that they should of left that alone I like the classic ThunderKats back in the 80's instead of the newer version.

Now I've never seen the new Rainbow Brite and I'm not plaining on watching the new Rainbow Brite eiher, but I've heard it's not very good, they also updated the Care Bears, My Little Pony, and Strawberry Shortcake. Some things you've shouldn't update, but that's my oppion everyone has the right to there on oppion you've shoudn't down people on their oppion or asked them why did they come on this board if they hate a certain show or not that's not very nice. That's just my two cents.
ButterFly Heart

dragonfly

Its NOT Rainbow Brite

Post by dragonfly »

I understand what you're saying....the new My Little Pony kinda reminds me of a Sorority show with Ponies, but honestly I love Rainbow Brite so much that I'm excited for everything that is happening with the show.