New Rainbow Brite Cartoon!

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Robert Teague

Post by Robert Teague »

Speaking of fanfiction, I anticipate new stories on fanfiction.net, so I contacted the admins and got the character filter activated.
"Magnets are cool, too..." --Ruby Rose, RWBY

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Chibi Rachy wrote:Been lurking for a couple of weeks... long time since I was here last! Anyway, my mom was the first one to link me to the news of the new cartoon being released. It should be interesting to see, nonetheless. I prefer these redesigns to the 2010 version. Didn't much like the more grown-up look of those. Not sure that I'm completely fond of the new personalities for Rainbow or Starlite though.
*waves to Chibi Rachy* Good to see you again! :bg: I agree that I prefer these new redesigns to the 2009 version. I didn't like the more grown-up look either - and neither did a lot of moms who didn't want to show it to their kids. My first reactions to RB and Starlite's new personalities weren't great either. But we've only seen such short clips - I really think there will be more to them in the full episodes. Until I've seen more, I'm withholding judgement.
I do like that Stormy will be in the show in some form, and I would love to see her back story. I would love to see her start with Murky and Lurky first. It reminded me of the fanfic series I did on her backstory that had her starting with them and then changing sides in the end. If we do get more competent villains this time around, all the better.
I fully agree!! :bg:
Will definitely watch the show though, and a month subscription to Feeln is pretty cheap so it won't be too hard to watch the show at least.
I'm glad you'll be watching too :) And yeah, fans could probably scrounge up $5 worth of change in their couch cushions if needed...lol. It's a small price to pay to support something we've been asking for for YEARS.
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

idistractedyou wrote:I do have to say thus far my only issue is the series being on a subscription based service. I suppose it makes sense given that Hallmark's own channel does not have a dedicated children's programming block and to my knowledge the Hub network is no more. A rainbow Brite cartoon would be a big transition from Golden Girls or the Waltons reruns.
Emily Osment posted this quote on her Facebook wall:

"If you follow me on twitter you may have seen some posts about my new animated show Rainbow Brite with the phenomenal Molly Ringwald! For those of you reading this who are over 25 (imagine that) you will recognize the title from when you were a kid and you will recall how Rainbow Brite was the coolest action hero of the 80's. I may be pushing it there, but just go with it. Well, it's all brand new and it's coming to Feeln and other platforms very soon!"

So maybe it will come to other platforms in time. Perhaps it could be ad-based or a pay-per-episode model. But all three eps will be released in November, so it's only $5 to watch them all. Hopefully fans won't balk at that too much - especially when they're gaining access to Feeln's entire library with that $5 - not just to RB.
I am enjoying most of the redesigns while they are keeping true to the original. The only one I am not fully on board with is that of Shy Violet. I am not against the inclusion of an Asian-esque character but the fact that it is "The brainy one" bothers me somewhat.
ME TOO!!! That was my first thought! Some fans are already angry about this or that...we don't want them angry about Asian stereotypes in the show too :\ But in the short descriptions that went along with the promo images, it made it sound as though Patty O'Green will be the brainiac this time around. But if it had been up to me, I would have picked a different character to be Asian, just to avoid confusion.
I do wonder if the surprise character will be Moonglow, Tickled Pink, or just perhaps a promo image of Stormy? (Or maybe the Dark Princess but I think that reveal will be saved for later.) Or perhaps full body shots of Murky and Lurky?
I'm hoping for Tickled Pink or Moonglow, since we've already had a glimpse at Stormy (although obviously I want to see more). I agree that they'll probably save the Dark Princess reveal for a later time.
I do wonder if in the reboot they drop mention of Rainbow and the kids being ancient like in the Monstromurk Menace? Or perhaps drop hints/references that the Rainbow Brite we knew was a former color belt wearer?
I had the exact same theory run through my mind! Especially since their personalities are [seemingly] so different. And the Brian-esque character could be Brian's son, perhaps? How else would he have had the key to Rainbow Land? So many questions... ;)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

idistractedyou

Post by idistractedyou »

Well I guess one way to explain Patty having a brain is she may be a quick thinker where as Shy Violet may be the Rainbowland Tech person. We may find she designed the Color Console for instance. For example being a tomboy Patty may have more skill at reactionary thinking whereas Shy Violet needs time to thoroughly analyze all possibilities in a complex violet hued algorithm.

I'm not opposed to paying the $5 subscription fee I mean that's one less Chipote burrito or fancy coffee drink a month. I am just saying from a wide-spread exposure angle.

Robert Teague

Post by Robert Teague »

Hmmm... I wonder if they are going to keep the canon pairings; Red and Lala, and Buddy and Patty?
"Magnets are cool, too..." --Ruby Rose, RWBY

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

Oooh- thanks for posting that about other platforms, I hope it comes to netflix!

But of course even if it doesn't I will certainly fork over my $5 to watch the first three episodes...

Also- there are mentions of Stormy, is there a glimpse or mention of her somewhere that I missed ???

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

idistractedyou wrote:I'm not opposed to paying the $5 subscription fee I mean that's one less Chipote burrito or fancy coffee drink a month. I am just saying from a wide-spread exposure angle.
Agreed - I want the highest exposure possible :) They did just announce today that Feeln is now on Apple TV, so they're already expanding.
Robert Teague wrote:Hmmm... I wonder if they are going to keep the canon pairings; Red and Lala, and Buddy and Patty?
I've never been big on RB shipping, so it wouldn't bother me if they got rid of the romance. But it wouldn't bother me if it were still there either :)
Galacticatt wrote:Oooh- thanks for posting that about other platforms, I hope it comes to netflix!
That would be nice :)
Galacticatt wrote:Also- there are mentions of Stormy, is there a glimpse or mention of her somewhere that I missed ???
Yep :) Feeln sneakily put an image of her, Murky and Lurky as a Twitter background, and then removed it a day or two later. Here it is:

http://instagram.com/p/uMdArsFw9B/
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

I'm definitely ready to at least sate my curiosity. I'm also trying to remember that this reboot is partly for me, but mostly for new little ones. While the original cartoon is great (I didn't watch it until '09), I don't think it would have the same draw to a large audience today. It looks dated and just doesn't have the same draw. So an updated version is good, just not sure how this one will play out in the end.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Galacticatt

Post by Galacticatt »

Oooooh ! Thanks! Gosh, so that is why the speculation that Stormy may be a bad girl- since she is hanging out with those loons.

I have to admit I am not loving what they are doing with Lurky, wonder what his personality will be like?

Can't wait to see more!

idistractedyou

Post by idistractedyou »

I'm guessing with Stormy we'll have a Nightmare Moon type scenario. Stay with us they don't appreciate you, etc. I'm sure Rainbow will have to show her that without the rain grass wouldn't grow and be green and etc.