First Episode for a Newcomer?

The main forum for discussing our beloved 80's childhood character and series.
Dark Shine

Post by Dark Shine »

Hi everyone.

I've recently heard of this series and it looks cool. I'm male and have grown to enjoy girl-oriented cartoons so I think I'll grow to love this one as well.

I was just wondering what's the best first episode to watch. From what I understand, Peril in the Pits was the first episode made, but the Beginning of Rainbowland takes place first chronologically. So I was wondering what is the best episode to get a good impression of Rainbow herself?

Thanks in advance.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

I would recommend starting with Peril in the Pits. It's a fan favorite and really gives you a taste of the series :) Let us know what you think!
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Dark Shine

Post by Dark Shine »

Sure, I'll be happy to post my impressions if that's alright. I do a bit of a review blog on Tvtropes for My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake. I can't comment much on the animation as I'm visually impaired, but I'll do my best.
Thanks for being so supportive, This seems like a pretty welcoming fandom.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

I would love to read your impressions of the episode! It's not often that we get first timers to the series, so it would be a great new perspective :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Rainbowbrite84

Post by Rainbowbrite84 »

Wow that's great! It would awesome to know what you thought of the episode :)

Dark Shine

Post by Dark Shine »

I've now got a DVD of the episodes and the movie. The quality isn't perfect, but considering the age of when they were released, it's awesome. So expect a review tomorrow.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Woohoo! :)
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Dark Shine

Post by Dark Shine »

Sorry for the delay, had a load of college work to finish.
Alright, this'll be posted as I watch so what you'll be reading is pretty much what I get out of it. My vision isn't very good so there won't be very much on the animation aside from what I can tell.
The intro alone tells me it's the 80s, and damn proud of it. Yup, the synth BGM just confirms my suspicions this show's going to be a product of it's time.
Aww, little kid walking dejectedly in the rain, how sad.
Hi Scott Menville!
Oh and there's Rainbow! Well, that was quick.
OK, it's been just shy of a minute and I'm starting to worry for this kid. How glum must you be to not see a cute girl making rainbows in the sky?
Hmm, looks like Rainbow thinks so too. You know what they say, always go for the direct approach.
Wait, that's Bettina Bush. We've already got two members of the My Little Pony cast and it hasn't even been five minutes. This'll be a fun game of spot the VA as we go.
OK, this kid deserves more credit than I gave him. I'd be freaking out and asking questions too if some random girl turned me into a living lava lamp.
Hmm, go to my mom as rainbow-colored walking acid trip, or go off with a strange girl who started the problem in the first place? Wait, I get to ride the magical talking horse? Deal! Ladies and gentlemen, the world's first Brony.
Let's see dark atmosphere, gloomy place to live, some sort of strange brew... Yup, he's our villain.
Despite the bumbling assistant, he's actually kinda dark for a kids show wen your plan amounts to removing any trace of joy or hope from the land, making it all the easier to get rid of your enemies without a fight.
And... He's outsmarted in a few seconds by Rainbow, nice going Murky.
But wait, he's got another plan. Eh, why not, I'll roll with it.
I really hope the Color Kids get some more attention, I know characterization isn't a big thing for these types of cartoons, but they've done next to nothing aside from being captured.
Wow, the Pits must be quite the place if Rainbow's er... rainbows no longer work.
I'm getting a Mordor/Mirkwood feel from the place. This seems more apt as apparently even drinking water is deadly. From what little I've seen, Murky seems like the kind of guy who has good tricks and ideas, but falls apart when trying to string them into a coherent plan.
Aww, that's kind of sweet trusting Brian with her belt. Ah Mirky, I knew you were cunning, gotta hand it to him for snagging the belt.
It seems Twink is actually pretty crafty. That was a pretty cool escape, if I do say so myself.
Ignoring the cartoon logic involved in inflating and then releasing a balloon filled with a chemical that makes everything dreary and depressing, Murky is actually fairly competent as a villain.

A little anticlimatic the way the balloon fell (I would have prefered a bit more one-on-one) but it was entertaining enough.
Wait, why can't Brian see Rainbow now? Perhaps Rainbow only is visible when someone really needs her colors to cheer them up, and now that he has some of hope and trying to make the team, I guess he doesn't need her anymore. That's actually a little sad, I hope they do meet again later on.
Over all, it was a pretty decently made episode especially for it's time. In particular, the animation looks pretty well done and Rainbow's little expressions help breathe a bit more life into her character.

Watercolor
Admin

Post by Watercolor »

I would agree. Peril in the Pits is a very good place to start, and its how most of us did start.

Your observations are hallarious. Brian=worlds first Brony...I love that.

Glad you enjoyed it, and hope the rest are just as fun for you!

Welcome to the fandom!

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

"Ladies and gentlemen, the world's first Brony."
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I laughed SO HARD at this...omg...hahahahahahha :lol:

I love your observations! As far as the VA's go, Murky was voiced by Peter Cullen (aka. Optimus Prime) and Lurky was voiced by Pat Fraley (also known as TMNT's Krang).

And yes, Brian does get more screen time in other episodes and the movie :)

Do you think you'll watch any more?

Do you collect anything?
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net