Logging In

*C9*

Logging In

Post by *C9* »

I have to log in every sinngle time I click the log in remember me but it doesn't and I hate haviong to log in. Ths is the only board I know of that does this.

Maki

Re: Logging In

Post by Maki »

Me too. Even after 24 hours when you check for an automatic login.

Watercolor
Admin

Post by Watercolor »

What browser do you use? and what are its settings?
It could be your browser "deletes cookies" after every session, and that is what that check box is for. It stores a "Cookie" that is your login. Once you delete it, you have to logging again. If your browser is deleting them everytime you close the window then yes. You will have to login everytime.

Maki

Post by Maki »

On XP, I use IE7. I also have Firefox but didn't use much.

*C9*

Post by *C9* »

I use Windows XP and have IE6 it is the same for the upstairs firefox

IndigoJoy

Post by IndigoJoy »

I'm using Vista Home Basic and Firefox 3.0.9 and having the same problem.
Upon the Rainbow, my rainbow blog.

SunSpire
Site Admin

Post by SunSpire »

The board is placing session cookies to keep you logged in for 24 hours, after that time you have to re-login .. basically once per day. This is to ensure that no inactive users remain logged in which could attract spammers and / or hackers to the boards.

Note: IF you're having to login frequently and in less than 24 hours, then your web browser's cookie settings are more than likely incorrect. Also MAKE SURE you are loading the boards through http://forums.rainbowbrite.co.uk and NOT through sunspire-records.com/community <- This domain is no longer valid for session cookies!!

Now I don't know what type of pc you are using and if you are the only person using it or sharing with others, but in my case I have my login details stored in firefox so I don't need to re-type them every time I login, I just hit the button. This is quick and easy and shouldn't bother anyone at all.

I could change the duration of time a cookie is valid on the boards from 24 hours to something like a week or even a month or year, but I am not sure if that's a good idea. At the moment this board is free of spam and it took some effort to get it there, heh :P

Let me know what you think, k?

"SunSpire"
[html]* <a target="_blank" href="http://www.sunspire-records.com">SunSpire Records
</a>*
[/html]

IndigoJoy

Post by IndigoJoy »

Well it would be nice to stay logged in longer than 24 hours. On my board (phpBB 3) I allow my users to stay logged in as long as they like and no one has ever had their account hacked.

Someone having their account "hacked" because it stays logged in on a public computer is entirely different than getting new spammers who sign up and post spam. They're 2 completely separate issues. I don't recall ever seeing spam posted under a previously legit username here, so I don't think it's a problem? I don't think spammers really care if your board has cookies that let them stay logged in for a day or a year... they're mostly just the hit-and-run sort.

If this isn't running on the latest version of phpBB, perhaps you should consider upgrading. They no longer support version 2 and by upgrading you get the latest security features (and anti-spam tools).

I think half the problem is that, at least on my computer, Firefox won't auto-fill in the username and password.
Upon the Rainbow, my rainbow blog.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Doesn't matter to me. It's no trouble to have to re-login each time the cookie expires. I don't check that box for automatic login anyway. I never like my computer to keep me logged in indefinitely for any site; there's always the chance I'm somewhere and don't click "log-out" and simply click the 'x' button instead.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

SunSpire
Site Admin

Post by SunSpire »

Changed it to 31 days, so you'll only have to login once a month. Hope this is ok :)

"SunSpire"
[html]* <a target="_blank" href="http://www.sunspire-records.com">SunSpire Records
</a>*
[/html]